By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - mass effect - 1 million copies sold?

Excellent game. As long as sequels get made and they come out on 360 I don't care how much it sells.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy

Around the Network

"We've... seen a strong response to both Halo 3 sales with more than 5 million, and Mass Effect which has sold more than a million copies in less than three weeks," noted Bell, highlighting consumers' reaction to Microsoft's holiday push.

MS
Halo 3: > 5,000,000
Mass Effect: > 1,000,000

vgchartz
Halo 3: 5,819,045
Mass Effect: 557,356

Why would they be giving "sold to consumers" numbers for Halo 3, but "sold to retailers" numbers for Mass Effect?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
"We've... seen a strong response to both Halo 3 sales with more than 5 million, and Mass Effect which has sold more than a million copies in less than three weeks," noted Bell, highlighting consumers' reaction to Microsoft's holiday push.

MS

vgchartz

Why would they be giving "sold to consumers" numbers for Halo 3, but "sold to retailers" numbers for Mass Effect?

When does Microsoft give out "sold to consumer" numbers for software before NPD?

sinha said:

MS

vgchartz

Stop making too much sense with logic.  I'm warning you, people will start to get angry here.

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

fkusumot said:
sinha said:

MS

vgchartz

When does Microsoft give out "sold to consumer" numbers for software before NPD?

They almost never do.  When they did it was Halo numbers which were first day/week sales.  Those weren't sold to retailer, they were consumer numbers.  Other than that they have never given out close to exact numbers before hand and Mass Effect is clearly an approximation of total sales.  

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Around the Network

At the same time, Bioware was also claiming recently (can't find the link) that from their internal sources, Mass Effect was selling great, more than some "charts tracking sites" were expecting...

Anecdotal evidence, I went to buy it at a FNAC in spain and it was sold-out. ECI (a big superstore chain) had it in spades, tho...

Anyways I'm happy with the news, it's a great game and deserves all the sales it gets. Here's hoping the sequel is announced soon.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Could it be its sold a million copies to retailers only?

Doubtful. Microsoft, this time last year, gave Gears of War sales numbers. They gave numbers when it reached 1m (within 10 days), 2m (mid December), 3m (early January), and such. It wound up that all of the sales were sold to consumers, not retailers.

Forza Motorsports 2 was the same way. MS waited till E3 to say "in a week or two, FM2 will reach 1m sold", even though it had most likely already shipped that amount by then.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Good news for Mass Effect if this is true then.