By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

Number 49:

1942 (Arcade) is a well-crafted SHMUP.  Not as egregious and demanding as the Bullet Hells that followed it, but still challenging from the first level, 1942 strikes a fine balance which makes you die repeatedly, but know that you're this close to the next level.  A great quarter-muncher, 1942 holds up well to this day.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

Number 49

Viewtiful Joe

Viewtiful Joe is the very spirit of coolness condensed and then given a game which suits him. In a time where 2D brawlers were effectively dead and cartoon stylings were rare indeed, Viewtiful Joe bucked every gritty, pseudo-realistic, taking-itself-too-seriously trend in the business. The game Veiwtiful Joe is rock hard, lightning quick, and built on a simple but extremely satisfying combat system which is easy to pick up and almost impossible to master. Twitch-based brawler gameplay was given a shot of adrenaline directly into its heart, and the result was one of the best brawlers I ever played.

Great choice. I was so very close to including this! I didn't find much replayability with it though.

pacman91 said:

Great choice. I was so very close to including this! I didn't find much replayability with it though.

It's replayable in the sense that Vanquish and God Hand are; replay it because it's fun. If that doesn't appeal, then playing the game again will have no point.

49: Vectorman GEN

Ah what a great game with sonic and echo make up my childhood gaming. What to say about this game other then it was extremly fun to play and kept me coming back for more. I wished it's sequal could of made me say the same about it, but sadly it was a dissapointment.

Former something....

Khuutra said:
pacman91 said:

It's replayable in the sense that Vanquish and God Hand are; replay it because it's fun. If that doesn't appeal, then playing the game again will have no point.

Yeah, perhaps a fun replay can add to the value. All I know is when I finished the game I didn't have the desire to play the game again. That may have had to do with the fact that I was stuck on a boss for quite awhile(that copycat joe).  Maybe after my backlog lessens I'll go back and play it again.

Around the Network

Yay for games that I spent my early teens playing but in retrospect weren't that good. Throwing the rules of the card game out the window and forcing to you remember a bunch of random combos to have any chance of winning, this game is guilty of so many things in terms of bad game design and I could never beat it; yet I played the hell out of it and it's one of the few PS1 games I still own so I feel it warrants a place on here

Since many of you are explaining your reasoning here, I'm doing the opposite .

50) Left 4 Dead 2

49) Trackmania nations forever

Tayne said:

No. 49 is up!

Crazy Taxi (Arcade/Gamecube - 1999)

One of the finer games I enjoyed playing at arcades.  Running down and cutting off anyone in your way to get bitchy customers to their destination.  Playing it on consoles couldn't match the intensity of playing it in arcade form, but it was still fun.  It is one Gamecube game I will never get rid of

Awesome SEGA Game and It's on its way to PSN.XBLA now witch is awesome. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

darthdevidem01 said:
CrankyStroming said:
darthdevidem01 said:

49. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA : SPIRIT TRACKS

Spirit Tracks was just so different from either of them. It used the touchscreen controls really well, in intuitive and fun ways.

Then how come I just found them awkward and unuseable?

You tell me

I have heard no critic or gamer describe the controls like that before.

I thought it was useable, but it definitely felt very awkward.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@ Boutros: Stylish. Also, good choice for #48. Age of Empires is a great game (but it didn't make my own list for a reason).