By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Top 50 Games: Discussion Thread!

21. Diablo 2

Druid and necromancer were awesome... Why isn't Blizzard putting them in Diablo 3 dammit!!! D:<

This is all Kotick's fault I assume. Anyway, Diablo 2 was fantastic and IMO second only to patapon as the ultimate loot game. Just so much loot!!!

Around the Network

20. Mass Effect 2

Otherwise known as "Mass of War" or "The Empire Stikes back: the game", Mass Effect 2 took some of the elements of 1 and improved. Other things? I liked Mass Effect 1 better... For some reason, I had a blast with the Mako levels! People, seriously, why the hate!?

It's interesting that EA is throwing this game to the ps3... Damn, I remember 2 years ago it was the 360 that stole exclusives... How times have changed. And when this baby releases on the ps3, I'll be there front and center to pick it up again! Why? Because I'm a trophy whore, that's why!

Oh yea, I almost forgot, how do i justify putting this game at 20? Well, just take a look at my list so far. BG1 &2, JE, Mass Effect 1 is next, and I haven't even gotten to Kotor yet! Bioware dominates my list I just love what they do

4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

There's a moment in this game, where you've climbed to the top of a partially destroyed hotel, and discover the rooftop swimming pool. You're presented with a choice, go for a quick swim, or get on with the game. Naughty Dog chose to reward those who chose the quick dip, and it's the little things like that which make Uncharted 2 one of my most favourite games.

It doesn't do too much differently from its predecessor, but it does everything better (it adds online multiplayer, but that doesn't mean much to me, as I'm a SP man). It's hard to quantify what exactly it is that makes it better than the first game. It just is, and if you haven't played it, you'll just have to take my word for it. Perhaps it's the sum of its parts that makes it better, rather than any one thing in particular. Whatever it is, the flaws from the first game are gone, and you're left with one of the most polished and enjoyable games of the generation.

I've played Naughty Dog's games from previous generations, and I'd never really been a big fan, but with this and its predecessor, Naughty Dog have gained a fan for what will hopefully be a long time.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:

4. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

There's a moment in this game, where you've climbed to the top of a partially destroyed hotel, and discover the rooftop swimming pool. You're presented with a choice, go for a quick swim, or get on with the game. Naughty Dog chose to reward those who chose the quick dip, and it's the little things like that which make Uncharted 2 one of my most favourite games.

It doesn't do too much differently from its predecessor, but it does everything better (it adds online multiplayer, but that doesn't mean much to me, as I'm a SP man). It's hard to quantify what exactly it is that makes it better than the first game. It just is, and if you haven't played it, you'll just have to take my word for it. Perhaps it's the sum of its parts that makes it better, rather than any one thing in particular. Whatever it is, the flaws from the first game are gone, and you're left with one of the most polished and enjoyable games of the generation.

I've played Naughty Dog's games from previous generations, and I'd never really been a big fan, but with this and its predecessor, Naughty Dog have gained a fan for what will hopefully be a long time.

Total awesomeness, obviously :P

That and the superb polish, amazing mix of game mechanics, brilliant level design, astounding set-pieces etc. etc.

No. 5 Mass Effect 2 (PC, also on 360, soon to be on PS3)

Another sequel where the original doesn't make the list but the sequel is ridiculously high up! Mass Effect 1 was good, but was plagued with poor shooting mechanics, a clunky RPG interface and some rather horrible bugs. ME2 fixed all that and then refined the experience to become more of a shooter/RPG hybrid than an RPG with tacked on shooter controls. Guess what? It worked brilliantly.

Rather than focus on weapon customisation and RPG-levelling, the RPG focus was shifted more towards character development and story-telling that helped to bring the player into the Mass Effect universe. The shooting elements were also changed so reloading and ammo conservation now became important. Gone were the numerous bugs that plagued the original. All these when combined together produced one of the best RPG/shooter hybrids on the market.

The characters were some of the most intriguing seen in a video game. Mordin was brilliant and hilarious, Thane was deep and philosophical and Miranda loyal and ideological. However, summing up these characters in a couple of words doesn't really do them justice. The vast majority of missions were based on the characters as you built your team and new layers were added as you did each mission. Discovering motivations and each characters personal story, as well as managing interactions between crew members were all part of what makes this game so amazing. The main story itself was actually relatively simplistic, but the smaller character stories were what made the game.

Add into the mix that all the decisions you made in ME1 are carried over to ME2 and you get a truly great RPG experience.

Around the Network

3. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)

GTA III was arguably the most talked about game of 2001/2002. It was controversial, because you could pick up a prostitute, have sex with her, and then murder her to get your money back, all on top of the random maniacal rampages that are a GTA standard of course. But ignoring that controversy, it was an excellent game at its heart.

Today, sandbox games often get accused of being repetitive. This could not be said of GTA III upon its release, mostly because this was one of the first games of its kind, so it was all new and fresh. Others will place Vice City and San Andreas above this game, but I disagree, as without this one, those two wouldn't exist.

You don't even have to play through any missions to fall in love with this game. You can just drive around the city and explore, notice a ramp or something, and fly off it to see what would happen. Sure, you could do the same in the first two GTA games, but the topdown perspective didn't give the same sense of exploration that you could get with a 3D engine, so this one delivered perfectly in that respect.

VGChartz

3. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

Some people of love, some people hate it. I don't think it's hard to find out which group I belong to.
Here we have again another Final Fantasy that does a few things different than its' predecessors. The battle system was more fast-paced than ever and I loved it. Sure, it was completely linear, but I didn't have a problem with it; I actually liked it. I loved the story, I loved characters, I loved... the whole game.

So we entered the Top 3. I have to say, my Top 3 will look weird to some people, because these games have more than just one thing in common.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

3. Super Metroid - SNES

Super Metroid is the epitome of 2D gaming. From the opening sequence, you knew, that you were in for pure greatness. (Well, at least I did.) Super Metroid is one hundred percent from beginning to end, and there is only one word to describe how you feel after completing it: "satisfied."

Splendorous music, sublime gameplay and one of the most immersive video game settings ever created are just a few of the many, many things so right about this game. From the throwback to the old Metroid levels at the beginning of the game, to going out of your way to save your little animal buddies at the end, Super Metroid left nothing - NOTHING - not done.

There is no other game, that I have completed over fifty times. Mega Man 3 introduced me to gaming, but it was Super Metroid, that solidified my addiction to video games.

2. Shadow of the Colossus - PS2

I could say so many things about this game. I could talk about how the plot manages to intrigue you, and keep you going forward through it's minimalist structure. I could talk about the almost magical atmosphere. I could talk about how the controls never fail to amaze me, always keeping me in awe of the Colossi I am trying to topple. I could talk about the rich world they inhabit, about the simple beauty of it and it's changing slopes and valleys. I could talk about the Colossi themselves, how their design is something unmatched in creativity, and in pure awe. And if taking down each one of those majestic monsters wasn't so damn fun, the pure guilt of taking the life of such an awe-inspiring creature would make me never want to pick up that controller again.

No matter how many times I complete it, Shadow of the Colossus always fills my heart with wonder.

3. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)

The end of the two dimensional numeric entries in the Final Fantasy series went out with a bang.  Ultimately the transition to the third dimension meant a short lived setback, both graphically and otherwise.  The game breaks itself up into two sections, at the start trying to prevent the world from being destroyed and later dealing with the results of your actions.  The second section means regrouping your party through a series of events based around the individual characters.  Largely the characters you bring back into your fold may be done at your leisure and you get the option of who you want.  Blitzes were a more involved version of the limit type attacks seen in later games and varied amongst the different characters.  The customization level in equips led to a bunch of flexibility up to the point where you can attack 8 times or quadruple cast ultima and allows the enemies to throw more potent attacks at you.  The story in the game remains one of the more epic entries in the series as well.

Primarily an RPG player but have interest in any game that will make me think.