By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Should PS3 be adjusted up?

Should PS3 be adjusted up?

No 81 25.96%

Yes 231 74.04%

Total:312

I *really* doubt the veracity of Sony shipped numbers at this point. They make no sense at all. Either with regard to Move or PS3 hardware.

Sony has a fiscal year forecast and they will make it no matter what, just as always, nuff said. So it isn't really a forecast at all, more like a foregone conclusion, which basically hints at them manipulating numbers.

Heres another interesting table, recorded America Japan sales for the July-Sep quarter vs reported shipments for each console:

360 1342k : 2800k

PS3 1072k : 3500k

Wii 994k : 1930k

Percent of USA Japan sales to ship: 360: 48%, Wii: 52% PS3 31%

Which one is the outlier?

We know Europe is (supposedly) Sony land, but are we to believe they hate Wii just as much as 360 according to this?

Are we to discount that PS2 sold almost exactly as much in North America as it did in Europe last gen according to Sony's own figures, yet somehow with PS3 it must have swung more like 2-1 in favor of Europe? Or when all Nintendos ship total for financial reports show Europe/other a fairly similar size market for DS and Wii as Americas (in Fact, the Americas appears to sell MUCH more Wii and Ds software than Europe others)? But for Sony it's magically more than twice as large, and it wasn't just last gen for PS2?

It stretches credibility, I'll just say that much.

Around the Network

where is the only if the data says it should be option?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

This is "Move" shipments all over again.

glad i have some popcorn on hand this looks like its going to get interesting.

@fallen. id just like to say it is against the law for sony to manipulate their numbers and if they were to get caught (which they would eventually) it would be a shareholders disaster.

OT - yes it should be and will be..eventually.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:

@fallen. id just like to say it is against the law for sony to manipulate their numbers and if they were to get caught (which they would eventually) it would be a shareholders disaster.

It already is!

The "sony overshipps" excuses has already started.

I'll be watching how this turns out too should be fun. =D

Around the Network

And are we also to believe, via NPD and media create (or vgchartz, the same), the difference between Wii and PS3 sales last quarter was under 100k in Japan Americas? Yet Sony shipped 1.57 million more PS3's?

So somewhere in the world outside the USA and Japan, PS3 is outselling Wii by >500k per month?

Pyramid12 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:

It already is!

The "sony overshipps" excuses has already started.

I'll be watching how this turns out too should be fun. =D

You should pick you up some Orville Reddinbocker...i picked some up earlier something told me there would be a meltdown soon and it appears its here.

Coffee is for closers!

fallen said:

And are we also to believe, via NPD and media create (or vgchartz, the same), the difference between Wii and PS3 sales last quarter was under 100k in Japan Americas? Yet Sony shipped 1.57 million more PS3's?

So somewhere in the world outside the USA and Japan, PS3 is outselling Wii by >500k per month?

And how many times do people have to say there is places the trackers dont track (or track that well). Stop being so paranoid dude and chill.

Coffee is for closers!

One thing is for sure, the numbers, as they stand, don't make sense to me. Perhaps there is a solid reason for the big difference between Sony's shipped and VGC's estimates? Perhaps it's a mistake? Perhaps it is a stubborn refusal to change numbers despite facts to the contrary? Perhaps it is a misunderstanding of where Sony is selling the PS3s? Perhaps its something completely different?

Really, I have no idea.

What I do know is that it makes little sense to me, and I'm pretty intrigued as to the reasoning.

here's another one confirming a low low gap between the two http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/ps3-tops-over-41-5-million-units-trails-xbox-360-by-less-than-3-million, interesting how x360 only has around 600k on the shelves according to vgc lol for the whole world!!