By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zenimax buys Tango and Shinji Mikami

Boom: Zenimax buys Tango and Shinji Mikami

Zenimax just confirmed it’s bought Tango Gameworks and, with it, Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

“It’s refreshing to find a publisher who understands, trusts, and supports the development of blockbuster games and works to make it a collaborative effort,” said Mikami.

“The library of AAA franchise titles ZeniMax owns speaks for itself. We are very excited to be joining ZeniMax and working with a company that is dedicated to creating the best games ever made.”

The studio, based in Tokyo, will stay under Mikami’s direction.

“Shinji Mikami has earned a stellar reputation as one of the industry’s finest game developers,” said Zenimax chief Robert Altman.

“He has repeatedly created hit titles that have earned praise from fans and critics around the world. We share his vision for innovative, genre-defining games and look forward to working with Shinji and his team at Tango.”

Nothing was mentioned in the press release of any specific dev project. Mikami’s most recent title is Sega shooter Vanquish, developed at Platinum.

The move is the latest in a string of high profile buys for Zenimax, which include id Software and Arkane Studios.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2010/10/28/boom-zenimax-buys-tango-and-shinji-mikami/

==============

Ok I'm seriously confused.

Isn't Shinji Mikami a part of Platinum Games?

Around the Network

Vanquish was his last title with Platinum, he started his own studio some time ago, and is now a part of ZeniMax apparently.

Good move I think.

I think its a good thing that Shinji Mikami now has his own studio, with Zinimax they'll also be well funded.

Rainbird said:

Vanquish was his last title with Platinum, he started his own studio some time ago, and is now a part of ZeniMax apparently.

Good move I think.

Ah right. So Shinji Mikami was collaborating with Platinum Games for Vanquish and Platinum games was working with SEGA as publisher?

And isn't Vanquish also the last Platinum Games game with SEGA?

Before I searched them on wikipedia, I had never heard of Zenimax

Around the Network

An odd acquisition on their part, given that their primary holdings are Bethesda and iD, two of the most set-in-their-ways Western developers, then you just acquire a start-up off-the-wall Japanese company like that?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

That's weird. But I like it! (Except for all the forthcoming Xbox 360-exclusive DLC.)

God no. This is bad news...

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Zenimax is probably my favourite publisher at the moment, good call.

Tease.

Anyone who give funds to Shinji Mikami to make games is a hero in my eyes.

Shame sega couldn't keep him around...