By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GamePro: The 36 Best PS2 Games

• Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty / Substance

The first PS2 iteration of the amazing Metal Gear saga is often considered the best. With a refinement of the original PS1 hit's controls, still-amazing graphics, and a memorable cast of characters--including one surprising alternate protagonist--Metal Gear Solid 2 was the ultimate cinematic game experience. The "Substance" re-release added a smorgasbord of side missions and other fun extras.

• Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Everything in the world grinds to a halt when Grand Theft Auto hits the shelves. GTA: San Andreaswas no different, as the series went from the 80s throwback era of Vice City to the present-day hood of San Andreas. No longer a slick ladies man in a nifty blazer, gamers very quickly got introduced to Carl Johnson, a man on a mission to save his hometown. Even without the story to consider, GTA: San Andreas showed its real strength in the customization of your main character. If you want to deck out CJ in awesome threads, you could; if you drove everywhere and crammed him full out fast food, he got fat. GTA: SA was so thug-tastic, it was even generating some wild controversy on the side. Added with almost twice as many vehicles as GTA III, new minigames and the introduction of gang warfare, the game was as in-your-face as it was gritty.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater / Subsistence

When you've experienced the ultimate in modern stealth combat, where else to go but back in time?Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater tells the origin story of Big Boss, the original NES baddie, who bares a striking similarity to Solid Snake. With camouflage-based stealth and survival techniques mixed with the series' standard combat, Snake Eater is a delightfully delicious new taste of stealth.

• God of War

An epic narrative, an iconic main character, intense action, and amazing gameplay--that was the golden formula that creator David Jaffe hit upon for the first God of War. Released nearly five years into the PlayStation 2's lifespan, the first God of War proved that the console still had a lot of life left in its black plastic shell. Recounting the vengeful tale of Kratos, a blood-thirsty Spartan warrior who rebels against the gods who rule from Mount Olympus, God of War was a fantastic game that left a lasting impression on the action genre. The combat was amazing, with a deep combo system, enemies galore, and eye-popping fatality animations that delivered a satisfying and visceral thrill. The game was also unabashedly mature, and its production values and gameplay hold up to this day.

• Final Fantasy XII

The twelfth installment in the world-famous Final Fantasy series was revolutionary for a number of reasons. One was the birth of the Ivalice Alliance - Square Enix's attempt at creating actual continuity in the Final Fantasy universe. Another was the end to random battles, with the player able to size up a foe before you take 'em on. Lastly? An epic story that spanned the entire world of Ivalice, and over 100 hours of play time. Final Fantasy XII is the series' grand exit from the PlayStation 2, and it exited in style.

• Okami

An under-appreciated classic, Okami was more of an experience than a game. Featuring an unusual story firmly rooted in Japanese mythology, the player took on the wolf form of the sun goddessAmaterasu in a mission to restore color, life, and prosperity to the world. With breathtaking visuals that appeared painted on your television screen and a gameplay system that blows the concept of "innovation" out of the water, Okami was an all-around masterpiece. Pity it didn't sell more copies - it's a classic.

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

MO< The amazing open-world sandbox gameplay of Grand Theft Auto III made it one of the PS2's biggest hits. What could possibly be added to the sordid tale of mob crime to make it more appealing? The surprisingly simple answer: a ton of 1980's nostalgia. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City oozes retro charm, gave its lead character a voice and a personality, and made subtle improvements to the cherished gameplay of the GTA series. Though it was followed by the bigger San Andreas and the prettier GTA IV, many series fans still consider Vice City to be the pinnacle of the Grand Theft Auto series.

• Shadow of the Colossus

The concept of Shadow of the Colossus is so simple, it's amazing nobody tried it before. In this adventure game, you'll explore a massive landscape and fight a series of massive bosses. By trimming out the fat of extraneous enemies and other tiresome challenges, the game is able to focus on the greatest parts of any videogame-the boss battles! Shadow of the Colossus is considered a modern-day classic, and when you see the titular Colossi in motion, you'll instantly understand why.

• Resident Evil 4

Widely regarded as the best game in the series, Resident Evil 4 proved that you can, in fact, take a good thing and make it even better. With Resident Evil 2's Leon Kennedy back in the lead role, Resident Evil 4 was revolutionary for a number of reasons. The first surprise was the biggest: There were no zombies! That's right-the Resident Evil franchise was turned on its head when introduced to the Las Plagas, a deadly parasitic life form affecting a small Spanish village. Add in Resident Evil 4's over-the-shoulder targeting system and heart-stopping quick time events, and you have an instant classic on your hands. This is one of the most important games of the decade, and the PS2 version is a must-own.

• God of War 2

How do you improve on a game that was almost universally hailed as being one of the best action games ever created? You make the sequel bigger and better. With new weapons, more godly powers, and larger levels, God of War II was everything its little brother was and then some. Continuing where the original God of War left off, the second installment in the God of War saga brings Kratos' one-man vendetta against Mount Olympus to a thrilling cliff-hanger ending that left gamers everywhere clamoring for the third and final chapter (soon to be revealed on the PlayStation 3). Oh, it also features one of the most epic opening levels ever created: an awe-inspiring fight against the Colossus of Rhodes that, in lesser games, would have served as the final boss fight. With expectations high after the success of God of War, new director Corey Barlog and his team had to deliver a masterpiece to live up to the hype. Luckily for PS2 owners, they did just that. God of War II is a PS2 high point.

MGS3 is way too low !

Full list - http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/205778/the-36-best-ps2-games/

Around the Network

Vice City, my favorite GTA game of all time. As for Andreas, I just couldn't relate to it, thus hated it.

I played and loved 7 of those games.

Hated Sand andreas, never played Okami, and FFXII was decent.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Wrong. All wrong. Where is the God hand, where is the FFX?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Metal gear solid 3 should have been first, one the best games I have ever played

Metal gear solid 2 should have been higher too, and where is kingdom hearts?

-

leatherhat said:

Wrong. All wrong. Where is the God hand, where is the FFX?

I was thinking the same thing about FFX.  XII is 6th on the list but X isn't even on it.  It looks like evil is afoot.

Around the Network

This just shows you how f*cking amazing the PS2 was that Shadow of the Colossus is only number 3 and Sons of Liberty almost didn't make the top ten.  Not too mention that FFX, Kingdom Hearts and about a gazillion others missed the top ten.  ALL HAIL THE KING ON ITS TENTH BIRTHDAY!   *bows*

NYANKS said:

This just shows you how f*cking amazing the PS2 was that Shadow of the Colossus is only number 3 and Sons of Liberty almost didn't make the top ten.  Not too mention that FFX, Kingdom Hearts and about a gazillion others missed the top ten.  ALL HAIL THE KING ON ITS TENTH BIRTHDAY!   *bows*

a gazillion is more than ten :P

there can only be ten and ten

and speaking of ten. MGS2 was number ten

But for me it was

6. Shadows of The Collosus (But not if you play it on a PS2... if you play it on PC with emulator then it's here :P)
5. Persona 3: FES
4.Shadow Hearts Covenant
3. Final Fantasy X-2 (They put this at number 17 yay :P)
2.Metal Gear Solid 2
1.Final Fantasy X

I'd have included San Andreas but I played the PC version.

NYANKS said:

I was thinking the same thing.

PS2 games are so great that the games in a top 100 list would all be equally awesome.

Interwebz whining is really starting to annoy me.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

hatmoza said:
NYANKS said:

I was thinking the same thing.

PS2 games are so great, that a top 100 list would all be equally awesome.

Interwebz whining is really starting to annoy me.

Seriously.  How many systems could boast a top twenty or thirty with so little drop off in quality?  Only one, unless we count handhelds and PC lol.

I'm disappointed that SotC is not #1... and angry