By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spain, where the Wii failed?

Diomedes1976 said:
There are Wii owners and there are Wiitards .Most of the people posting in this thread are Wiitards .Sad ,but true .

And the PS3 outsells the 360 in all Europe save maybe UK (and we dont know since the 40Gb introduction ) .Its not only a case of Spain ,Italy ,Portugal and Greece .

In any case ,and given that you are insulting my country ,maybe you should know that the common conception on the americans worlwide is that you are absolute ignorants that doesnt even know where the other countries are and dont know nearly anything outside your country or even better state .That would explain many things with the american market too (obsession with FPS for instance ) .Your patritiotism would also explain the X360 doing well there while it flops in the rest of the world .

So stop flaming ,because its easy to use a cliche to attack others .

The PS3 sells great in Spain ,the Wii sells very good too although not so much and the X360 sells quite poorly .Thats all and trying to spin this is useless ,more so that you are trying to spin this with cliches as the supposed macho-looking behaviour of the southern europeans .The PS3 also outsold the Wii last october in Germany too dont you know it ,and in Japan ....maybe those are too macho-looking guys that must to have the most expensive machine ?

Agreed on the first line even though i'd want you to clarify who are Wii owners and who are "Wiitards".

In the same way there are PS3 owners and "ps3bots" or whatever it's called i don't know the fanboy terminology. And sadly most of the PS3 owners of the site are fanboys but that makes sense since they try to defend their console of choice. 

Anyway congrats to the PS3 for outselling its competition in a much shorter period of time. 

Around the Network

I am a Spaniard, living in the US. I've still got friends there.

There are many reasons why the Wii isn't selling all that well there compared to the PS3. Among them are:

-People live in their parents homes into their 30s. That makes social console gaming rather difficult. No Wii parties mean that the main reason for casuals to pick up the console is gone.

-The Sony stranglehold in Spanish media is huge. While Wii was getting all kinds of positive hype from general media outlets in the US, most of the Spanish media is still thinking Playstation.

-Most Spaniards haven't even began to consider a new console yet. The market is still mostly rich early adopters, and those people DO want the most expensive console out there. Yes, Spain is full of posers. Most other people are living under a thousand euros a month, which isn't all that great for ANY console out there. 60 euros for Wii games and 70 for PS3 games are too much for the mass market.

-The strongest genres are still soccer sims and racing, two of the Wii's weakest genres.

-Nintendo Spain is awful. I know, I have a friend that worked for them for a few years. They are little more than a satellite for the German site, and don't really do a good job at marketing or localizing games.

Still, after all of that, 'El Corte Ingles', one of the largest store chains in the country, lists Wii console sales higher than PS3 sales so far this month, mainly due to a game starring a plumber.

hibikir said:
I am a Spaniard, living in the US. I've still got friends there.

There are many reasons why the Wii isn't selling all that well there compared to the PS3. Among them are:

-People live in their parents homes into their 30s. That makes social console gaming rather difficult. No Wii parties mean that the main reason for casuals to pick up the console is gone.

-The Sony stranglehold in Spanish media is huge. While Wii was getting all kinds of positive hype from general media outlets in the US, most of the Spanish media is still thinking Playstation.

-Most Spaniards haven't even began to consider a new console yet. The market is still mostly rich early adopters, and those people DO want the most expensive console out there. Yes, Spain is full of posers. Most other people are living under a thousand euros a month, which isn't all that great for ANY console out there. 60 euros for Wii games and 70 for PS3 games are too much for the mass market.

-The strongest genres are still soccer sims and racing, two of the Wii's weakest genres.

-Nintendo Spain is awful. I know, I have a friend that worked for them for a few years. They are little more than a satellite for the German site, and don't really do a good job at marketing or localizing games.

Still, after all of that, 'El Corte Ingles', one of the largest store chains in the country, lists Wii console sales higher than PS3 sales so far this month, mainly due to a game starring a plumber.

hey! i've been to one in Marbella, it was huuuuuge (and expensive) =D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

how sad that people insult spanish people because of a comment..

Seems like the source may have used vgchartz numbers.. cause I doubt VG is that accurate in Europe..

Around the Network

Another Spaniard here, from Barcelona.

If VGCHARTZ numbers are right, this means Spain is the fourth market in the world for PS3 (right after USA, JAPAN and UK). Quite an astonishing achievement for Sony España!!

Living here I think I can confirm that PS3 is the best selling next-gen console in Spain. Why? That is something very difficult for me to answer. Probably because Nintendo and Microsoft started to do real marketing for their products a year ago, while Sony has been marketing their PS brand for years.

Also noticeable is that Nintendo isn't bringing too many Wii's to our country. Shortages are happening everywhere in the world, but I think mediterranean countries are receiving lower % of stock.

I'd like to add something: please DO NOT believe those cliches. Spain is not a big country, it has experienced an unexpected growth in three decades and became a rich and prosper place to live, but we males are not "klingons" (though many seem to think so). Not all of us like bull fights, nor we dance "flamenco or sevillanas". Small country, with huge and very noticeable differences between the many cultures living there together for many centuries.

Thanks to all the new Spaniards for contributing. It's very interesting to get a wider perspective on the gaming scene in your fine country.

The PS3 success in Spain is easily understatable .

-Brand name .The Playstation brand has its name fully intact .Even the PSP has rivalled the DS sales for most of their run (I think the PSP numbers for Spain in this site are quite way off but thats another thing ) .

-Quality .The PS3 and in general all the Sony products have a image of quality the toy-like Wii and defective 360 simply dont have .

-Online service .People here can spend a lot of money on a gift or a console given a time ,but they are a lot more hesitant to put themselves in a monthly fee to play online .We already pay monthly cell phone ,the loan of the house ,subscripstions to organisations ,food ,games ,parking ,taxes ...people have easier to think in a big spending and then enjoying your adquisition that a nearly as big investment and then having to pay monthly fees for a undeterminate amount of time .Plus many people like online gaming but still prefer playing phisically with friends multiplayer or solo adventure games .The PS3 service online is perfect for the tastes here .Want a game of Warhawk ,Call of Duty 4 ,Resistence ,Motorstorm ,GRAW2 ,Medal of Honor ,Rainbow Six Vegas or any sports game ?There you have it .But paying just for some improvements as the unified tag etc ?No way .

-Lineup .The people here likes a lot adventure games ,plattformers ,some RPG and FPS,fighting ,but specially racing and sports games .The PS3 has a lot of all of these .Sports games it has pretty much the same as the 360 ,and the one that looks worse on PS3 as Madden isnt a force here at all .That has hurt the PS3 in US thanks to some EA subports but not in Spain and Europe .The thing that could have hurt PS3 would be terrible versions of PES2008 and Fifa 08 but that hasnt happened .Fifa looks the same on PS3 (and with free online ) and PES2008 had some problems but it is already patched and the 360 version had problems of its own .Right now the PS3 has quite a balanced lineup with games as Ninja Gaiden ,Heavenly Sword ,Conan ,Assassins Creed ,Call of Duty 4 ,Uncharted ,Ratchet and Clank ,Warhawk ,PES 2008 ,Fifa 08 ,NBA 2K8 ,NHL ,Tiger Woods ,Virtua Fighter ,Virtua Tennis ,F1 ,Motorstorm ,Need for Speed Carbon and Underground ,The Darkness ,Lair ,Eye of Judgement ,Rainbow Six Vegas ,GRAW 2 ,Folklore etc etc ...theres just a lot of product in the shelves that people are interested in.Plus a lot of the casual games of the PS brand ,as Buzz ,Singstar and the Eye Toy games ,those are heavily associated with the PS brand and rightly so as they are first party games .

-Good marketing and publicity .Sony is making good efforts in the advertising .They started out bad with the This is Living nonsense but since september they are showing lots of games ingame in the TV and have a good advertising campaing going on .

-Lack of FUD against the machine .In the USA the machine is being attacked by thousands of fanboys in the blogs and forums .Microsoft has posted many doubts over the PS3 and continues with crap like "the PS3 doesnt have online service " and the media is happily in that bandwagon .In Japan and Europe this just dont happens .There are sure a lot of fanboys in the forums (although many less ) and some online publications are following the bandwagon of the US sites they take the info from .But all that is very minoritary and has a strong contestation from other users and sites .But for the main media the PS name isnt damaged at all ,and for the general public too .

-Price cuts ,the Starter Pack and the 40Gb machine have definitely approached the people to the price they are ready to pay for the machine .When it hits 250 or so it will be madness ,everyone will want one .If they introduce the 80Gb version at 499 and with two games in the Eu again they will sell even more than right now .Those 60Gb machines have literally fly off the shelves .

The Wii on the other hand is doing quite well ,it is doing good numbers and having great advertising .The advertising may look a bit disgusting for a hardcore gamer as it shows mostly old people playing the Wii ,Nicole Kidman playing the DS ,and Ipod like clean announces with people in very big apartments and modernly dressed moving the Wiimote around but you dont get to see the game more than 2-3 seconds .The only game that have had some ingame exposure in the TV is Mario Galaxy .The DS has had a lot of success between middle aged people due to BT in Spain but the bigger percentage is still children ...the children had the GBA and they have naturally evolved to the DS .And the Wii is benefiting from this and the Nintendo style because parents are buying the Wii in droves to the children just for this and maybe out of the curiosity to play themselves with the kids .All in all its doing great ,but it just lacks the oomph ,the lineup and the name to challenge the PS3 here .

THe 360 ,?It has a paid online service no one wants ,bad name ,crap manufacturing quality ,its made by Bill gates and most of its games are on the PS3 or PC and pirated by the people there or are FPS that people like but not 10 a year .No wonder it doesnt do too well here .

Parokki said:
Thanks to all the new Spaniards for contributing. It's very interesting to get a wider perspective on the gaming scene in your fine country.

@ Spanish new members:  Gracias por la molestia

Actually ioi has said that VGChartz's numbers for Spain include Portuguese sales. I sent him a PM once about it , but so far he hasn't changed the name to Iberia or something which reflects that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957