By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox 360 vs PlayStation 3: Google Graph Shows PS3 Online Growth

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/10/11/xbox-360-vs-playstation-3-google-graph-shows-ps3-online-growth/

PS3 is catching up! 

Around the Network

there was a point where PSN was higher than xbox live

I'm pretty sure that just shows what people google more not how many people are useing the stystems online

"In 2004, Google Trends indicate that searches were majorly higher for Xbox 360 than for the PS3, something that took a sudden U-turn at the tail end of 2006 where they ramped up the numbers.

By Christmas 2007, searches for both consoles were almost level on par, Microsoft just taking the gold medal, with only two noticeable ‘spikes’ in search volumes in the entire graphs for the PlayStation 3."

still and interestin trend but it's not what you thought it meant

Ignore, I didn't realize this is just google trends.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Coca-Cola said:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/10/11/xbox-360-vs-playstation-3-google-graph-shows-ps3-online-growth/

PS3 is catching up!  Will eventually pass 360 cause it's free.

Microsoft should be lowering the cost of XBL instead of raising it!!!!!!

Quite frankly, I still find it amazing that XBL is more active than free online services. By the way, I don't think free user numbers are as significant as paying user numbers.

I also find it odd Sony rarely mentions their online service is free. Perhaps they hope to change that in the not to far future?

But they do mention it has free online...and Sony already showed us what they are going to do with charging.  They aren't going to charge to play the games, they will charge and actually give you something.  With Playstation Plus, you get like $500 worth of stuff in a year for $50...granted it isn't all stuff you want.  Rumor has it they have also mentioned adding cross game chat only to the Playstation Plus members...although other rumors say cross game chat isn't compatible with the PS3...blah blah, idk.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:

But they do mention it has free online...and Sony already showed us what they are going to do with charging.  They aren't going to charge to play the games, they will charge and actually give you something.  With Playstation Plus, you get like $500 worth of stuff in a year for $50...granted it isn't all stuff you want.  Rumor has it they have also mentioned adding cross game chat only to the Playstation Plus members...although other rumors say cross game chat isn't compatible with the PS3...blah blah, idk.

In my opinion and as a guy who is subjected to a lot of Sony ads. They bring very little attention to their online service being free. At one point they used to mention it, but they hardly do anymore. If they have the intention of keeping it free, I think that's something worth marketing more.

PSN Plus just seems like is a stepping stone to charging for online. They can't charge for online play on the PS3. Sony fans would be livid and some would probably sue. My guess is PSN Plus will get a lot of additional features. When PS4 rolls around, PSN Plus will be required for online play. As long as they offer more features, Sony fans will pay and boast why its better than Live.

Recently Completed

you guys are missing the fact this is not the activinty of people on psn or live but searches for xbox360 or ps3 on google

Mr Puggsly said:
Baalzamon said:

In my opinion and as a guy who is subjected to a lot of Sony ads. They bring very little attention to their online service being free. At one point they used to mention it, but they hardly do anymore. If they have the intention of keeping it free, I think that's something worth marketing more.

PSN Plus just seems like is a stepping stone to charging for online. They can't charge for online play on the PS3. Sony fans would be livid and some would probably sue. My guess is PSN Plus will get a lot of additional features. When PS4 rolls around, PSN Plus will be required for online play. As long as they offer more features, Sony fans will pay and boast why its better than Live.

Couple things here:  @baalzamon: Gold members get discounts on DLC weekly as well as early access to demo's etc.  Outside of the free game that is provided to PSN plus members (aside from the obvious free on-line issue) the PSN Plus and Gold are very similar, though tbh, XBox Live does still have a richer feature set.

@Puggsly: I agree that LIVE has proven that there is an obtainable revenue stream for on-line play and if Sony thought they could compete in a pay-for-play model this generation, they absolutely would.  I fully expect Sony to do all they can this gen to grow thier PSN Plus membership and would be very surprised if the PS4 didn't have a pay-to-play PSN.

About charging for online:

PS3 had too many limits to be it, but PS4 won't, so if next gen Sony will want to sell it as a general purpose device, console, home theatre and PC replacement, it won't be able to charge for online gaming, but only for premium optional services.

Obviously Sony won't let us know until it's too late for MS to modify its plan effectively, as MS' previous reactions to such possibilities were quite aggressive and eventually damaged Sony at the second attempt, that is this gen, while Sony is instead quite happy that MS is finally shifting its attention towards Nintendo.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!