By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Best Modern President?

Best Modern President?

Barack Obama 44 20.85%

George W. Bush 21 9.95%

Bill Clinton 90 42.65%

George H.W. Bush 4 1.90%

Ronald Reagan 47 22.27%

Jimmy Carter 5 2.37%

Total:211

Who is the best modern president?

Around the Network

Clinton easy.

Both the latest Bush and Obama have been shocking.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Obama - Too early to judge his legacy, not looking fantastic at the moment though. We will have to wait and see how healthcare, the economy and the war in Afghanistan turn out.

Bush Jr - Shit. Edit: To clarify, while some major parts of his legacy won't be too awful - the war in Iraq has gone alright recently, the war in Afghanistan probably will end up being won and the economic crisis wasn't really his fault (and he was strong with the recovery package) his gaffes and mistakes will tarnish him badly. Katrina, mission accomplished and Bushisms will lead to him going down as a bit of a joke. I'll give it to him that he wasn't a weak president, just a bit of a stupid one.

Clinton - Got my vote, he was just a generally good president who presided over generally good times. The entire intern thing was a bit of a problem, but didn't really compromise his presidency in my book.

Bush Sr - Did a fairly good job actually.

Reagan - Not a huge fan of many of his policies but he did a good job as president, especially as far as the Cold War goes.

Carter - Weak president, has been a great elder statesman though.

Clinton easily!

But I voted for Geaorge Bush in the poll for the lulz!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

None of the above. The last good president the US has had was Theodore Roosevelt. They've all been criminals since.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

In my opinion none of them were particularly good ...

Jimmy Carter is (easily) in the running for one of the worst presidents of all time, George W. Bush is a below average president in a presidency which was more challenging that most (and therefore he did a pretty poor job), and Obama is 2 years into a presidency that people either think he is a poor president because he did too much or a poor president because he hasn't done enough; and (therefore) none of these three presidents can really be considered.

Bill Clinton was a caretaker president. His greatest "accomplishment" was having projected budget surpluses which were based (at least in part) on the completely unsustainable dot com bubble; and the assumption that military could continue to shrink because there were no threats to the United States. When the dot-com bubble burst and 9/11 happened it should have been clear that his assumptions were wrong, and therefore his projections were wrong.

Which (effectively) leaves Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush ... I would personally favour George H.W. Bush because I think NAFTA is more meaningful to economic growth than Reaganomics, and that operation desert storm was a  justified action.

I'm torn between Clinton and Reagan. Each have their black marks:

Clinton - 9/11 is on his shoulders. He had opportunities to kill bin Laden and didn't take a hard-line stand on terrorist activity. He also allowed the intelligence community to dwindle and not aggressively pursue a modernization of the spy world. The economy was in great shape, though it's hard to really give him credit for it.

Reagan - Iran/Contra, massive deficits, Star Wars, trickle down economics, and this entire Afghanistan mess is because of how he handled the country after the Soviets gave up. Did a great job handling the USSR and the economy boomed during several years of his presidency.

I'll just call it a wash.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Clinton. When he was prez, the worst thing people found to complain about was his sex life. Sounds like the ideal president to me.

Love and tolerate.

Raze said:

None of the above. The last good president the US has had was Theodore Roosevelt. They've all been criminals since.

Actually the last great President was JFK. He had some good policies and defied the "privately global banking elite owned" federal reserve by taking their right to print money for the U.S and started printing the dollar from the National Treasury, he refused to go along with a false flag attack (Operation Northwoods) planned by the joint cheifs of staff, which would have caused the U.S to attack Cuba and he also played a fairly large role in the eventual Civil Rights Act.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Nirvana_Nut85 said:
Raze said:

Actually the last great President was JFK. He had some good policies and defied the "privately global banking elite owned" federal reserve by taking their right to print money for the U.S and started printing the dollar from the National Treasury, he refused to go along with a false flag attack (Operation Northwoods) planned by the joint cheifs of staff, which would have caused the U.S to attack Cuba and he also played a fairly large role in the eventual Civil Rights Act.

You cant be sure how he would have turned out if he didnt take a bullet to the face. He could've gotten just as messed up. Plus the ties he had with very sordid people, never know where it could've led to. My choice still stands. =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com