By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Firefighters let house burn down over $75

Sure it sucks the guy was a little greedy but it does suck knowing that I have never had a crash or ticket but I still have to pay insurance to pay for OTHER people's mistakes. Different situation but just trying to see the "ill pay when it happens" point of view. Alot of that taxes go to stuff you will never see in your lifetime, but you're stuck paying them anyway.

Around the Network

Our house, in the middle of our street...

Toastrules said:

It was 75$ a month... pretty expensive for the 'protection' of the fire department. imo, i'd just move out

no, it's $75 per year: http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/Firefighters-watch-as-home-burns-to-the-ground-104052668.html

the commentator is a douche but he isn't completely wrong.  some services are just flat out needed, fire-protection, roads, police, schools.  conservatives love to think using the free-market is the solution to everything but then this is what you get.  

the fire department should have put the fire out.

the $75 should have been a mandatory tax.

HALOOOOOOOO said:

Our house, in the middle of our street...

... bursts into flames, igniting everyone else... wow, that's neat!

Around the Network

Yep this happened very close to me!

primogen18 said:

Sure it sucks the guy was a little greedy but it does suck knowing that I have never had a crash or ticket but I still have to pay insurance to pay for OTHER people's mistakes. Different situation but just trying to see the "ill pay when it happens" point of view. Alot of that taxes go to stuff you will never see in your lifetime, but you're stuck paying them anyway.

In the case of a fire, if you don't get to it early, then it can jump to your neighbor.  That is what happened here.  Apparently the fire department did come out, after someone who did pay, had their house catch fire.

I do believe in this case, you need to charge a surcharge to the person who is involved, and they be required to pay a few more years out.

This is crazy stuff. Let the punishment fit the crime. If he didn't pay the bill you send him a fine. You don't let his house burn down.

The first thing that popped into my head when I saw this was something a british owner of a hostel in Moscow told me once. He said that once a year he has to bribe the chief of the firestation or they won't put out the fire if there is one. Seems strangely familiar:)

And wow the commentator is tiring to listen to. He does have a point though.

kitler53 said:

the $75 should have been a mandatory tax.

I'm not savvy about laws. But I think it would be illegal to make it a mandatory tax.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wagram said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That was an interesting story. But that guy commenting is a moron.

They didn't let it burn for $75. They let it burn because he didn't pay the tax. The homeowner was greedy. His logic was he'll pay when he actually has a problem. He played the odds so he could save a few bucks and he lost his house. Simple as that.

At most, they should have put out the fire for a super inflated price. Like thousands of dollars.

Still doesn't make it right for them to watch it burn down. The fire dept is just as greedy IMO.

They had to watch it burn down... to prevent it from spreading.

Weird that's not just a mandatory part of your taxes.