By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you getting Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light?

ishiki said:

I am eventually, it has the job system similar to FFV right? (my favorite 2D FF)

I have too many games I haven't beaten yet :-/ though.

It has a job system, but not like FFV at all. The game is pretty unique. The combat system is very streamlined and simplified. Perhaps to too great a degree. I will need to play more to get a final opinion, but there are some serious issues. Not picking your target in combat is the biggest, but not as bad as you would imagine.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
First off, don't be fooled by the cutesy style of Heroes of Light. This is not a "My First Final Fantasy" game. It's a full on, "struggle to get through a dungeon only to find a boss you're not near strong enough to defeat -- oh no!" RPG. This game is so hardcore it doesn't even have a tutorial.

Read more: http://ds.ign.com/articles/112/1125729p1.html#ixzz11YFeFl7Z
OMG YES! I want a hard RPG!

Wagram said:
First off, don't be fooled by the cutesy style of Heroes of Light. This is not a "My First Final Fantasy" game. It's a full on, "struggle to get through a dungeon only to find a boss you're not near strong enough to defeat -- oh no!" RPG. This game is so hardcore it doesn't even have a tutorial.

It doesn't need a tutorial. The battle system is so stripped down that it would be a miracle for someone to not get it quickly. The auto targeting puts it at an instantly understood level. I dunno about how hard it is though. It is a touch unforgiving, but nothing so nasty yet.

And it very much does go for the "My First Final Fantasy" bit. The combat is showing enough depth that it can be kind of fun outside of that, but it certainly isn't remotely close to complex. Maybe shit starts to get a lot harder later on, but so far the game is pretty easy.

Also worth noting none of this is based on second hand info from reviews. This is from my time with the game.

Gnizmo said:
Wagram said:

It doesn't need a tutorial. The battle system is so stripped down that it would be a miracle for someone to not get it quickly. The auto targeting puts it at an instantly understood level. I dunno about how hard it is though. It is a touch unforgiving, but nothing so nasty yet.

And it very much does go for the "My First Final Fantasy" bit. The combat is showing enough depth that it can be kind of fun outside of that, but it certainly isn't remotely close to complex. Maybe shit starts to get a lot harder later on, but so far the game is pretty easy.

Also worth noting none of this is based on second hand info from reviews. This is from my time with the game.

Well how far you in?

(hours)

Wagram said:

Well how far you in?

(hours)

Actually couldn't safely say as its been sporadic playing through-out the day. I have taken down a few dungeons though. I think I am only up to 3 crowns thus far. Not terribly far, but far enough to get a feel for it. What really kills the difficulty is the lack of worrying about dying. Apparently if you kick it you just lose a few gems or some such. Haven't wiped out yet so it is a bit unclear. Gems come from like candy though, so its not really much of a threat.

I do admit the combat system is  pushing me more towards the "it is so easy" route. Even boss battle are pretty tame due to auto targeting of all actions. The action point system removes any form of limit from healing spells, and phoenix down's are so incredibly common that you just stop taking them when a monster drops em.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
Wagram said:

Well how far you in?

(hours)

Actually couldn't safely say as its been sporadic playing through-out the day. I have taken down a few dungeons though. I think I am only up to 3 crowns thus far. Not terribly far, but far enough to get a feel for it. What really kills the difficulty is the lack of worrying about dying. Apparently if you kick it you just lose a few gems or some such. Haven't wiped out yet so it is a bit unclear. Gems come from like candy though, so its not really much of a threat.

I do admit the combat system is  pushing me more towards the "it is so easy" route. Even boss battle are pretty tame due to auto targeting of all actions. The action point system removes any form of limit from healing spells, and phoenix down's are so incredibly common that you just stop taking them when a monster drops em.

Possibly it is still too early to tell?

Wagram said:

Possibly it is still too early to tell?

I had been holding out hope, but the White and Black mage classes are so incredibly powerful I am not feeling it. White mages make the only tricky part (proper healing) completely trivial. You could definitely make it a challenge for your self if you avoided a coupe of the obvious choices, and there is a unique strategy to  the game that keeps you on your toes. When two people are injured trying to get the right one healed requires a moments thought for example.

Overall its still pretty fun to play. Working out the best abilities and how to best use your resources can be entertaining. The game tries to keep it on the edge of winnable, so you might get a harder time with some bad (or good depending on your perspective) luck on boss attacks.

I suppose there is still an outside shot at it getting harder, but I just don't see it. White mages start with the ability to almost fully restore the hps of your entire party every other round. I can't imagine how sickly powerful their next ability will be. Still a really fun game so far though. Story is still shaping up, but not a bad start. If you like classic RPGs the game will still be a blast, but not as great as it could have been considering Matrix made it.

I will almost certainly get it, my most hyped Final Fantasy game

I'm confused about this title.  Is it a re-imagining of Final Fantasy 1 as it appears in dawn of souls (the GBA re-release of FF1 &2) or is it a remake of what they released in america and called Final Fantasy 1 but to my understanding actually a different series entirely in japan?

Armads said:

I'm confused about this title.  Is it a re-imagining of Final Fantasy 1 as it appears in dawn of souls (the GBA re-release of FF1 &2) or is it a remake of what they released in america and called Final Fantasy 1 but to my understanding actually a different series entirely in japan?

It is a brand new spin-off of the final fantasy line. It is just done in a way that is more similar to the core of what the franchise was back in the old days.