By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think this is the most interesting console generation so far?

d21lewis said:

The 16-Bit war between Sega and Nintendo was much better in my opinion (with CD-i, Neo Geo, Jaguar, and Turbografx-16 fighting for scraps).  People were tooth and nail back then and there wasn't even an internet.  Battles over who had the better version of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2 claimed so many lives.  Lots of good kids died in that war.

*1000 yard stare*

I was there, man!  I saw it!  I SAW IT!!  My friend Lawrence said the Genesis version of NBA Jam was the best.  They killed him right there on the playground.  I...I don't want to talk about that anymore.

Everything was innovative during that time, too.  Evolutions in animation, 3D graphics, gameplay, and technology were appearing every few months.  Arcades were still alive and it was like looking into the future everytime I went there.  That was an amazing time to be a gamer.  Even baby steps into online gaming was starting to appear, then.

I can't top this and won't try.

The 16 Bit generation definitely was the most interesting.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

The 16-Bit war between Sega and Nintendo was much better in my opinion (with CD-i, Neo Geo, Jaguar, and Turbografx-16 fighting for scraps).  People were tooth and nail back then and there wasn't even an internet.  Battles over who had the better version of Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter 2 claimed so many lives.  Lots of good kids died in that war.

*1000 yard stare*

I was there, man!  I saw it!  I SAW IT!!  My friend Lawrence said the Genesis version of NBA Jam was the best.  They killed him right there on the playground.  I...I don't want to talk about that anymore.

Everything was innovative during that time, too.  Evolutions in animation, 3D graphics, gameplay, and technology were appearing every few months.  Arcades were still alive and it was like looking into the future everytime I went there.  That was an amazing time to be a gamer.  Even baby steps into online gaming was starting to appear, then.

This brings back so many great gaming memories..... sigh

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

ChichiriMuyo said:

Gen 4 - A rather close battle between 2 major competitors not far off from one another with the presence of some minor competitors.  There was a lot of in-fighting between Sega and Nintendo (mosstly on Sega's part), but there were a lot of missteps by Sega and ALL of the minor competitors.  Hell, Ninty had some missteps too.  It wasn't a dominated generation, per say, but in the end the Genesis only looked good against the SNES because it had a significantly earlier launch.

Nintendo did a lot of nasty infighting as well. Reffer to the 1994 ads for Donkey Kong Country where they slam every "next gen" consoles and sega for selling hardware which can't do what donkey kong does and the 1993 sports games ad, where they attack genesis for being inferior "paddle" compared to Snes being a speed motor boat.

In any case, Genesis mostly lost that gen cause it had no traction in Japan and cause Sega pulled the plug in early 1996 on manufacturing the console and games to concentrate on the saturn. Snes was sold until 1998.

Genesis (Mega Drive) easily beat Snes in sales in Europe and South america and was neck and neck in North America until 1996.

Needles to say, that is my favorite gen. So many choices for consoles and handhelds...so many different types of games.

People say that a lot of the consoles were crap but I had lots of fun with my Sega CD and I'm sure 3DO and Turbographix owners did the same. 32X and Jaguar owners on the other hand...

scottie said:

This gen is one of the least surprising.

On the day Sony announced the PS3, everyone was horrified by the price and the launch lineup, and it sold poorly due to the price and launch lineup

On the day Sony announced the PSP, everyone thought it would sell very well, for a non Nintendo handheld, and it sold incredibly for a non Nintendo handheld

The DS was expected to win by a large margin, and it did. Sure, it sold slightly above most people's predictions, and the software is WELL above.

360 did exactly what is was expected to.

Nintendo's console was predicted to flop, then details got announced and the world was split into those who saw that it would do well, and those who didn't. Those who didn't are blind and most of them had to include negative sales in order to justify their wild claims. No-one took these people seriously at the time.

I dont think so, Considering it has sold 2x(and still counting) more than the original xbox
and that it single handidly made online gaming to consoles a must have feature

I think its safe to say this comes as a shock to us gamers and Microsoft

It been interesting, but far from my favorite.  SNES/MD or the PS/SS/N64 trifecta were probably my favorite overall, and the only ones where owning each major platform really felt necessary imo.  Wii at least diversified it up a bit this gen though, last gen was worse.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
ChichiriMuyo said:

Gen 4 - A rather close battle between 2 major competitors not far off from one another with the presence of some minor competitors.  There was a lot of in-fighting between Sega and Nintendo (mosstly on Sega's part), but there were a lot of missteps by Sega and ALL of the minor competitors.  Hell, Ninty had some missteps too.  It wasn't a dominated generation, per say, but in the end the Genesis only looked good against the SNES because it had a significantly earlier launch.

Nintendo did a lot of nasty infighting as well. Reffer to the 1994 ads for Donkey Kong Country where they slam every "next gen" consoles and sega for selling hardware which can't do what donkey kong does and the 1993 sports games ad, where they attack genesis for being inferior "paddle" compared to Snes being a speed motor boat.

Yeah, ther was that one add during their whole "Play it loud" campaign where they went after Sega pretty hard, calling the Blast Processor a "blast of hot air" because it doesn't exist, and everything.  I went to school with my copy of EGM and my head held high!

*edit* You have no idea how much crap I had to google through to find this ad!

^^^If you guys can, read that ad!  Keep in mind that it was right after a Sonic the Hedgehog balloon crashed during the Macy's Thankgiving Day Parade.  Nintendo is talking so tuff that I want to go to my mom's house, take back my Snes (that she still plays) and have sex with it!!  Nintendo used to be so studly!!

Read that last paragraph too and tell me how things have changed!

d21lewis said:

^^^If you guys can, read that ad!  Keep in mind that it was right after a Sonic the Hedgehog balloon crashed during the Macy's Thankgiving Day Parade.  Nintendo is talking so tuff that I want to go to my mom's house, take back my Snes (that she still plays) and have sex with it!!  Nintendo used to be so studly!!

Read that last paragraph too and tell me how things have changed!

I just read that and had a good laugh. I was alive during that gen but I don't remember much from my first three years alive (1990-1993). So I missed a good chunk of that gen sadly. I can remember playing Donkey Kong Country when it was new though. It seems really interesting and surprising. Must do more research.

d21lewis said:

Yeah, ther was that one add during their whole "Play it loud" campaign where they went after Sega pretty hard, calling the Blast Processor a "blast of hot air" because it doesn't exist, and everything.  I went to school with my copy of EGM and my head held high!

*edit* You have no idea how much crap I had to google through to find this ad!

wow man...great find.

Its so funny reading this and thinking SNES is the ultimate machine in the world by the amount of smack these guys are throwing down...and knowing that SNES is just slightly more capable than the Genesis when it comes to graphics. Considering that Genesis was released 2 years earlier than the snes, one would think Snes would be this much more powerful. I mean, look at the Dreamcast vs N64...2 years appart (in Japan), graphics are almost a generation appart. PS1/Saturn vs 3D0/Jaguar as well.

Easily.