By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII outsold Final Fantasy XII

I concede. I'm outnumbered, and I believe you that Wada is probably working to fix the issues, but I still think it's important to realize that FFXIII is not the success it should have been, and Square Enix has some major concerns that need to be addressed with its current business model. I have no dislike of Square Enix. I enjoy all their franchises, to some extent, and The World Ends With You is my favorite RPG this gen (and FFIX is one of my favorites of all time), but they have some things to work on right now. Anyway, back to playing FFXIII.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
outlawauron said:
naznatips said:

And with 6 years of development time, the cost of HD development, and the cost of a late-development port, it only cost them 3 times as much to make! Yay Square Enix. You can only go up.

PS: I'm actually enjoying the game, now 30 hours in and on Gran Pulse, but it's not incredible. The combat system is great, but still mid-range for an FF game at best, and not near my favorite JRPGs this gen (Namely TWEWY, Lost Odyssey, Yakuza 3).

Come on Naz, with that statement, you're saying that XIII cost $120 million to make which is just preposterous. (FFXII is confirmed to have cost $40 million)

I know it cost more, but let's not get too crazy.

Sure, I believe it's possible it cost $120 million. It's easily over $100 million.Consider all the costs to this game:

It spent two years in development on PS2, and got through a full concept and brand new working engine before being scrapped. That alone was probably near $20 million.

It then spent an additional four years in development on PS3, and they went back to scratch on the concept and storyboard. That's crazy. Metal Gear Solid 4 cost $60 million and it was done in two and a half years.

They developed an entire new engine for the game. Then scrapped most of it, and redeveloped it to be a multiplatform engine. Now, you can say it's unfair to count engine development towards the cost, but they're already scrapping this engine after Versus! It's enormously expensive to build a multiplatform engine.

Finally, when development was almost complete, they had to deal with a PS3 to 360 port, which btw is the more expensive direction to port, and delayed release of the game even further compounding the costs many times over.

So yeah, FFXIII was probably $120 million. It's easily the most expensive development this generation, and Square Enix has not and never will see one penny for it. That said, it's not nearly the financial disaster Versus is.

MGS4 was announced with an in-game tech demo at TGS05.  It was obviously rather far along at that point, and wasn't released until May 2008.  That implies a dev time well over three years, which makes sense given MGS3's 2004 release date.

Also, the $60 million figure is inaccurate.  It was first posted by some unknown website listing random amounts for "the most expensive games of all time", and KojiPro came out a week or so later claiming the number was inaccurate, and that the game had cost somewhere south of $55 million.

I agree that Final Fantasy XIII probably topped $100 million (I've heard it mentioned alongside GTAIV as the only other game too do so), but I don't think it would've gone much past that.

naznatips said:
Scoobes said:
naznatips said:

Finally, when development was almost complete, they had to deal with a PS3 to 360 port, which btw is the more expensive direction to port, and delayed release of the game even further compounding the costs many times over.

You have a source for this? I was sure it was the other way round.

It was in one of those Pachter things on GT the other day, but the explanation is pretty simple. When you're going from many cores to less cores it's much more difficult than less to many. The PS3's design makes it hard to port from it to other systems, which is why for the vast majority of multiplatform games it's been the port console, rather than the primary.

Actually, the reverse is the case.  The ps3 has more cores, yes, but 6 of its 7 usable cores are tiny SPUs that assist the main PPU.  They are much smaller than a typical processor, and can do far less individually than either the Cell's PPU of the Xenos' three PPUs.  Porting from the 360's Xenos to Cell is the more challenging task given you must split large chunks of code across multiple smaller processors.  (Granted, the Cell has overall higher theoretical maximum power, and its unique architecture is what allows first party studios to run things like AA on the CPU instead of the GPU, but these are not really an issue in multiplatform development, where devs are not willing to jump through hoops to max out the hardware they're working on.)

The reason a majority of games up until this point have been ported from 360 to PS3 is because Cell development in general is a pain in the ass, so most developers would just make a game for 360 then toss a shoddy port on ps3 (which is also why numerous older ps3 games have horrible performance compared to their 360 counterparts - attempting to port to ps3 doesn't have pretty results).  The fact that all games were selling 2:1 on 360 at the time gave publishers even more incentive to barely put any effort in to the ps3 version of a game. 

These days we're seeing more and more developers lead on ps3, because they've finally gotten a handle on the system, and it's easier to port from ps3 to 360, thus making the ps3 version of the game better than normal and the port cheaper.  Plus they actually have financial incentive to do so, with ps3 games selling as well or better than their 360 counterparts more often than not these days.  And outside of FXIII, the 360 version rarely suffers for it.

Burnout: Paradise and Devil May Cry 4 were the first notable games to lead on ps3, but in the past year most games have either lead on ps3 (Castlevania, Vanquish, Dead Space 2) or were developed simultaneously for both systems (Call of Duty since CoD4).

Ubisoft is actually focusing on the ps3 as the lead console for all of its upcoming releases for this very reason:

We asked our demoer in each instance why the change from the industry-standard Xbox demonstrations and in each instance, the answer was the same – that development is being led on PS3. One particular demonstrator even went as far as to say that due to the difficulty in converting Xbox and PC to PS3, other developers would “be mad to do things the other way around”.

I didn't play XII but XIII was one of the worst games I've ever played. It was seriously one long walled walk to the finish (with a few excpetions).

Well, FFXIII is multiplat so you can assume it'll have more sales. But, consider this. How many PS3s and Xbox 360s out there? Now, the PS2 prolly didn't get the 100 million sales in 2006 but it must have been over 45 million by that time right? Interesting huh?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

Well, FFXIII is multiplat so you can assume it'll have more sales. But, consider this. How many PS3s and Xbox 360s out there? Now, the PS2 prolly didn't get the 100 million sales in 2006 but it must have been over 45 million by that time right? Interesting huh?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

PS2 had a 103.9 million sold at the end of 2006.

Not sure exactly which point you are trying to make as there are several points that could be made.

Around the Network
ishiki said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Not sure exactly which point you are trying to make as there are several points that could be made.

wow really? I really thought it was 50 million. Well, just wanted to get people thinking.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Both FFXII and FFXIII were horribly boring, even more than FFVIII. That's quite a feat to say the least...

ishiki said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Yeah, the idea that FFXIII sold more because the game was on multiple platforms (as has been brought many times in this thread) is downright silly, given FFXII was released on the best selling console of all time.

oniyide said:

@A203D  I was also wondering if MS actually got any dough from that deal. 1.5 mil sold is not bad, but how much went to SE??? How much of that paid for exclusive ad??? And considering they were talking so much crap about how the 360 version would beat PS3 in US and it didnt even come close, I wonder if MS profitted at all

In light of recent evidence perhaps MS didnt give them $75 mil for marketing, it is a rumor, because it also rumoured that GTA4 aslo recieved $100 mil.  i thought it was true, as this sounds like it would cover the cost of FF13s development cycle including the developing the game engine for FF13 to run on the 360; as they couldnt simply port the game. as well as paying for leonia lewis's song, and prime time ads (i believe).

well whether or not MS paid or not, i hardly think that the 1.5 mil copies sold on the 360 impressed them! if they did pay it, i very much doubt they profitted, but that wasnt the point, it was to take a high profile exclusive away from Sony.

@a2035  oh I think 75mil was a crazy #, that I doubt.  I guess they did take a high profile exclusive but was it worth it??? I mean that PS3 to 360 ratio is huge. Im shocked the US PS3 version beat the 360 that badly I honestly thought it would be close. It seems to me that people who really wanted FF13 already had a PS3, i think if it stayed exclusive those 360 sales would not have transferred to PS3 anyway. On a side note I dont think ME 2 on PS3 is going to do hot either, ill be shocked if it sells 1mil.  On another side note im loving this arms race of company's taking games from each other. Portal 2, ME2, DS: extraction, Muramasa. I love to see the drama unfold