By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How many shipped 360 are replacements due to ROD issues?

Joelcool7 said:

So many people are saying that the sales figures did not include consoles refurbished by Microsoft. They say the units weren't shipped to retailers. Well I had a friend who replaced his 360 twice actually going to the store due to the early warranty. Before it became a three year RROD warranty. I also know friends who purchased extended warranties through Best Buy and FutureShop and those retail outlets replaced them, meaning the units were shipped to retailers.

Infact I only know one friend who's 360 hasn't RROD and even his red ringed once but then worked fine so who knows what happened.

I suspect Microsoft now fixes every unit that gets RROD within 3 years, but what about all the units sold before they extended the warranty. Or all the retail warranties like Best Buy and Future Shop who replace RROD units?

I myself bought a 360 Slim and got a three year BestBuy warranty on it so that if it ever breaks down I don't have to go through Microsoft.

I could try to guess but it probubly wouldn't be that close. Who knows how many units were simply bought as replacements!

Yeah that's the situation.

But people are telling it is refurbished... MS sends refurbished units to the stores?

Around the Network
Mr.Metralha said:
Jadedx said:
FreeTalkLive said:

I'd guess millions of people bought a 2nd Xbox 360 because their's broke or because they thought it would break so they upgraded to a newer Xbox 360.

That is a stupid argument, especially when there is a 3 year warranty.

It wasn't always 3 years.

Also, people who modded the 360 lost their warranty...

It was always 3 years, they applied the extended warranty retroactively.

Also, people who mod their 360 aren't going to be buying games anyway, so why even mention them? 

johnglen said:

The attach rate of the 360 speaks for itself but whatever...some people are really butthurt over xbox360' last few months sales numbers.

Zkuq said:
starcraft said:

There are a lot of ridiculous statements in this thread, starting with the preliminary assumptions of the OP.

The number of shipped 360's that are replacements for already purchased RRoD's would be MINISCULE!!!

Here are the facts as well as we can know them:

- All Xbox 360's come with a three year warranty, retrospective to those that purchased them before the three year warranty.

- Microsoft repairs Xbox 360's, or offers refurbished ones (repaired ones others handed in).  They do NOT hand out brand new Xbox 360's.

- Reliability rates had DRASTICALLY improved by the time we were three years from launch, to the point that you now hear less cases of recent Xbox 360's failing than you do PS3's and Wii's.

Ultimately, virtually no Xbox 360's from the first three years of the console's life would be represented TWICE in the shipped number.  After the three years, there is no reason to suppose that the number represented twice is any higher than that of PS3's and Wii's.  In FACT given the PS3 and Wii only have a one year warranty a piece, it is not unreasonable to assume that more PS3's and Wii's have been replaced (and hence reflected twice per household in shipping numbers) than Xbox 360's.

RRoD has cost Microsoft a LOT of money, but it's reflection in shipping numbers would be close to non-existence.  If anyone has a reasonable, logic-based refutation of anything I said, I welcome it.

But frankly, this thread should die with this post.

I was about to almost agree with you until I read the part where you said that more PS3s and Wiis have been replaced. Then I read the poster's name: starcraft, just as I guessed.

I did not exactly say that.  I said that in recent years Microsoft's reliability rates have been stellar.  I also said that given the Xbox 360's extended warranty, it is likely that more PS3's and Wii's have been replaced, as in replaced at user's cost and included in shipment figures.  You're right of course when you say that overall, more Xbox 360's would have been 'replaced,' but as these would be covered by warranty and therefore simply 'repaired,' they would not figure in shipment numbers. 

A poor choice of words on my part perhaps, with more specificity required.

Starcraft is a PC game...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Nsanity said:
johnglen said:

The attach rate of the 360 speaks for itself but whatever...some people are really butthurt over xbox360' last few months sales numbers.

Many people are really butthurt since 2006...

Around the Network

WILL CERTAINLY BE A LOT, i know very few ppl who havent yet bought another xbox or have had a replacement.

i would give a guess that active 360 may only number 35million or so

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Jadedx said:
FreeTalkLive said:

I'd guess millions of people bought a 2nd Xbox 360 because their's broke or because they thought it would break so they upgraded to a newer Xbox 360.

You mean at one time there was a 3 year warranty that covered a very limited amount of issues.  Yes, that is correct.  Even though I disagree with what you said, notice how I didn't say what you said was stupid?

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Everytime this particular piece of sales related trolling rolls around, I chuckle to myself.

I think the new number (43 percent was it) is the highest so far.

I wonder what the number will be next year. Low 50's anyone.

FreeTalkLive said:
Jadedx said:
FreeTalkLive said:

You mean at one time there was a 3 year warranty that covered a very limited amount of issues.  Yes, that is correct.  Even though I disagree with what you said, notice how I didn't say what you said was stupid?

You do realize that there is STILL a 3 year warranty covering the main issue that WAS plaguing the 360 for a period of time, right?

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Plaging ?