By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Ocarina of Time 3DS/N64 Comparison thread

Note: this thread is about discussing OOT 3D's graphics. It's not about whether it's a good game or not, whether you like it or not, whether you'd rather have a new game instead of a remake or not. It's about pointing out the visual differences between the N64 original and the 3DS remake.

ALSO! The screens in this thread are meant to make a general comparison, I am aware they don't show the exact same places and/or actions going on for both versions of the game. You go and try finding exact matching screens for an unreleased one and one that released over a decade ago. You're willing to post additional screens if you come across better ones, though.

So anyway, I'm making this thread because I noticed there are quite a few ignorant people out there who seem to be under the impression the upcoming Zelda OOT 3D looks the same or only slightly better than the N64 original.

I'm here to prove them wrong.

Seriously, the game's graphics have much, much improved over Zelda OOT 64. Everything in the game is getting a makeover; from the characters to the levels themselves, and not just higher-res textures, either. The polygon count's been drastically improved, and the levels have been filled with new details like flowers, grass, plants, mushrooms and more such things. The game's gotten a complete graphical overhaul. Without further ado, here's some screens for your comparing-pleasure:

For those unconvinced, this is what Link looked like in OOT 64:

And on 3DS:

Obviously the remake's visuals go beyond the 'slight update' I've seen so many claim around here. Just pointing that out.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

cant wait

RolStoppable said:

Not the best comparison shots right there.

In the first comparison, the upper screen barely shows the wall of the Deku Tree, most of it is covered by that stuff you can climb on. Third and fourth show the same area, but are nothing close to showing the same place.

And in the last one you are comparing young Link to adult Link. It's kinda obvious that adult Link would care more for his looks.

You know how hard it is to find matching shots of reasonable quality?!

RolStoppable said:
Cheebee said:

You know how hard it is to find matching shots of reasonable quality?!

It must be. Your fourth shot is from the Gamecube version.

I know. Who cares, though, it's not like that version looked any different from the N64 one.

I'd still call it slight... Because I'd call Perfect Dark(N64)-->Perfect Dark(XBLA) a slight upgrade... except they fixed the framerate with PD so maybe I'd call it a bit more than that, and while OoT wasn't silky smooth, the framerate was fine.

Around the Network

I'm a little excited for this.

RolStoppable said:
thelifatree said:

I'd still call it slight... Because I'd call Perfect Dark(N64)-->Perfect Dark(XBLA) a slight upgrade... except they fixed the framerate with PD so I'd call it a bit more than that, and while OoT wasn't silky smooth, the framerate was fine.

I wouldn't call it an upgrade if the supposedly better version is only capable of rendering one character instead of two.

>_>

aha but there's a car in the xbla... and car = a character. For Example, the movie cars, all the characters of cars. :D

I'l repost what I had in the other thread

Loking at the first and second screen, the ground textures are roughly the same.

Overall lighting has been improved, small details like flowers and mushrooms added. Character models updated. Higher res textures for everything else.

However, the poly count of the environments seems to be exactly the same as the old version. IMO it looks like this got the Perfect Dark treatment. a "sligghht" boost.

Those pictures that you posted are exactly what I would call a "slightly improved OoT" graphically speaking.

I'm so sorry to disappoint you by having different standards and definitions for such adjectives.

Now, if a remake of OoT looked as good as a PS3 or 360 game, the difference would be substantial. But to me, what you posted isn't. It's unimpressive to me.

Way to make a thread about subjective matters and claim superiority over the case. =P

It's not a significant upgrade, but I'm glad it's not a straight up port.