By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A lower price PS3 = Complete BlueRay dominence. How can Sony do it?

Is there something more that Sony can do to the PS3 to give it a lower price faster and thus get BlueRay to be the single format over HD DVD?

I see where going with the 40G, no backwards capability, helps Sony to lower the price.  While others say that they can't/shouldn't drop the PS3 price, what current feature would you be willing to give up, for a cheaper PS3 even sooner? 

And, in your opinion, how much should Sony be willing to sell below cost to get BR as the acknowledged HD format?

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Around the Network

they are willing to risk alot.
If the format wins sony could make some big bucks

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

BR is almost at domination. HD DVD is going to die a slow death.

mM

Well they could just make a stand alone Blueray player that they are willing to take the same sort of loss on the sale of, basically the ultimate in stripped down PS3. If it must be a Playstation then they could make it a PS2 with Blueray player but that would hurt the PS3.

I am not all that concerned with HD content, I am more interested in the added convenience of downloadable movies even if they have to stay SD for the time being. So that means I am not a big fan of Sony sacrificing too much for BlueRay.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

Bundle HD TV's with blu-ray players.

mM
Around the Network

Well the stand alone blu ray players arent thatmuch more expensive now. Besides, the HD market isnt big enough yet to warrant sacrificing a major part of the PS3 to make room for a cheaper model.

BR may be dominating the HD market at the moment, but the HD market is only a fraction of the overall movie industry. Once this fraction increases, and it will with cheaper HD TV's etc, Sony will already have a large amount of Blu Ray capable people, which'll earn them alot of money and potentially lead to HD-DVD's downfall.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

leo-j said:
BR is almost at domination. HD DVD is going to die a slow death.
Neither format is at domination, and at their current rates of growth neither will ever get domination (at least not for many years). DVD is still in domination.

BR is already dominating, with sales at 2:1 or 3:1. The problem is HDDVD is too stubborn to die, and are trying to pay off studios to keep the format alive a litle longer (I believe the Paramount exclusivity contract expires after 2008).

As is, the PS3 is losing a good chunk of change for Sony, and I doubt that they had planned on having 2 price cuts within the span of 6 months. I think they are doing all that they can do at this point. I would not expect another price drop until this spring at the earliest.

The irony is that the BR is part of what makes the PS3 so expensive, and thus shares a good deal of blame for that systems' low sales, but at the same time the PS3 sales are great next to stand alone HD players, so the PS3 is the thing that gave the 360 the edge. I can only wonder what would have happened had the 360 launched with built in HD, or Sony had launched without it.

Well to the original poster, Sony as a company is still making profit with its other devisions :) More than enough so to fuel more losses should they choose to take them. I'd expect a pretty hard push on blu-ray within the next year with the after christmas HD-TV's and more cable company's going Digital signal :P But man awareness is a bitch :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

misterd said:
BR is already dominating, with sales at 2:1 or 3:1. The problem is HDDVD is too stubborn to die, and are trying to pay off studios to keep the format alive a litle longer (I believe the Paramount exclusivity contract expires after 2008).

As is, the PS3 is losing a good chunk of change for Sony, and I doubt that they had planned on having 2 price cuts within the span of 6 months. I think they are doing all that they can do at this point. I would not expect another price drop until this spring at the earliest.

The irony is that the BR is part of what makes the PS3 so expensive, and thus shares a good deal of blame for that systems' low sales, but at the same time the PS3 sales are great next to stand alone HD players, so the PS3 is the thing that gave the 360 the edge. I can only wonder what would have happened had the 360 launched with built in HD, or Sony had launched without it.

Actually, the PS3 is the only thing keeping BR ahead. In a standalone fight, HD DVD is whipping the devil out of BR. However, the PS3 sales are counted as BR sales, and with a lackluster gaming lineup, gamers have no real choice but to buy BR movies while they wait for more good games. Ironically, another report, though older, said that 79 percent of HD movie/hardware sales were video-game related.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070115-8625.html

Toshiba states they are, not Sony, leading in standalone HD players sold:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Hardware/Toshiba/CEDIA/Toshiba_Refutes_Sonys_Claims_of_Blu-ray_Stand-Alone_Player_Dominance/943

And those NPD numbers put HD DVD players at 55 percent, with standalone BR players at 42 percent. Those numbers don't include the 360 HD DVD add-on, nor the PS3.

This format war is far from over. Until Sony and the BR camp can counter Black Friday $99 HD DVD players that also include free HD DVD movies, it will be a long, drawn-out war. I could see if there was a clear-cut advantage to owning a BR player, except the better movie lineup, but everything else is exactly the same - with HD DVD players, with Internet access, have many, many more Web-based features and my personal favorite, region-free movie playback.