By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Capcom numbers: Lowest since 2005

Mr Puggsly said:

Why is that too niche?

We aren't familiar with popular Capcom characters? Anime isn't seen outside of Japan?

If the game ONLY had anime characters, I might agree with you.

Anime is quite niche these days, back in the mid 90's we had a little love for Japan and Japanese culture, but these days things are quite different.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

Those were sales projections by the major firms that publishers pay for.  Publishers pay to have the analysis done and hen base their next sever fiscal years budgets and resources on the information provided.

Tell me, if you were publisher X and 10 diferent firms presented you with highly detailed analysis on those 3 consoles, would you have made long term plans to put up big budgets and heavy resources for that Wii console?

I doubt it.  So when Wii proved all the analysts wrong, publishers had to scramble to scrounge up funding and resources and get anything they could out the door as fast as they could.  And you see the mess they made today. 

While the predictions were wrong, the Wii dominated the market very quickly. There was plenty of time to put out quality Wii games. The problem is many of the quality games did poor, while many other titles became unexpected hits. Even the mega popular CoD has modest sales on the Wii. For some reason the Wii audience just loves casual, party, and family games. Why wouldn't they? Those are the genres Nintnedo used to attract them in the first place.

The Wii has a massive audience yet they keep buying the same crap. At some point you gotta stop pointing the finger at developers. The Wii audience have spoken time and time again with sales. They've gotten what they want.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

alfredofroylan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Why is that too niche?

We aren't familiar with popular Capcom characters? Anime isn't seen outside of Japan?

Anime is quite niche these days, back in the mid 90's we had a little love for Japan and Japanese culture, but these days things are quite different.

I don't know if that's true. Anime is easier than ever to get to.

Plenty of it on YouTube, Hulu, and being shared illegally.

I would predict viewership is stronger than ever, people just don't get it like they did in the 90s.

Nerds didn't give up on anime, they just got smarter!

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

bmmb1 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Chrizum said:

TvsC sold almost 350k to customers. Capcom will probably ship over 400k lifetime. That is a succes for a port that was considered too niche to bring over, no matter how you look at it.

Why is that too niche?

Well it seems Capcom think it was rather niche - from that same Seth Killian interview : "...It didn't set any land speed records, but it was a success. And that's really saying something considering that we're talking about a game that was not only never coming out, but has a title that most people can't even pronounce."

Regardless, Capcom has a huge follow. Tatsunoko became relevant to every Capcom fan with that game. The only problem is it was on a console not particularly known for selling fighters well. Unless, it has Mario in it ofcourse.

That's where Capcom messed up. Nintendo vs Capcom would have sold like hot cakes.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Viper1 said:

Those were sales projections by the major firms that publishers pay for.  Publishers pay to have the analysis done and hen base their next sever fiscal years budgets and resources on the information provided.

Tell me, if you were publisher X and 10 diferent firms presented you with highly detailed analysis on those 3 consoles, would you have made long term plans to put up big budgets and heavy resources for that Wii console?

I doubt it.  So when Wii proved all the analysts wrong, publishers had to scramble to scrounge up funding and resources and get anything they could out the door as fast as they could.  And you see the mess they made today. 

While the predictions were wrong, the Wii dominated the market very quickly. There was plenty of time to put out quality Wii games. The problem is many of the quality games did poor, while many other titles became unexpected hits. Even the mega popular CoD has modest sales on the Wii. For some reason the Wii audience just loves casual, party, and family games. Why wouldn't they? Those are the genres Nintnedo used to attract them in the first place.

The Wii has a massive audience yet they keep buying the same crap. At some point you gotta stop pointing the finger at developers. The Wii audience have spoken time and time again with sales. They've gotten what they want.

Sure, after 4 years, 3rd parties have managed to chase away from the Wii a lot of core gamers (with the exception of those who care for Nintendo offerings) by showing them again and again on which consoles they should expect their beloved games to show up and on which they shouldn't,  but initially? Nonsense. Care to give some examples of "many quality games" that did poor (pre-2009)?

"Even the mega popular CoD has modest sales on the Wii" - do you really know the facts? Do you know that COD3 did better on the Wii than on PS3? And it is only after they didn't bring MW to the Wii and brought WaW as a late and gimped port that the situation changed. All part of the education of the Wii core audience where they should expect their games to come from.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

Chase away core gamers? Maybe the core audience was never really there? At least not in massive numbers like the HD consoles.

Did you know the PS3 was $600 when CoD3 came out? The PS3 wasn't a big seller at that price. Also, we can assume many Sony fans bought it on the PS2.

Anyhow, I'm bored of this debate. In my opinion, MOST of the Wii audience could care less about core games. If core games were that important to them, they wouldn't own a Wii.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

Chase away core gamers? Maybe the core audience was never really there? At least not in massive numbers like the HD consoles.

Did you know the PS3 was $600 when CoD3 came out? The PS3 wasn't a big seller at that price. Also, we can assume many Sony fans bought it on the PS2.

Anyhow, I'm bored of this debate. In my opinion, MOST of the Wii audience could care less about core games. If core games were that important to them, they wouldn't own a Wii.

You can't really blame the audience. Wii has very little mainstream core franchises (and those that are, are mostly lower quality spin-offs).

Chrizum said:

You can't really blame the audience. Wii has very little mainstream core franchises (and those that are, are mostly lower quality spin-offs).

I blame the audience. I blame Nintendo catering to a casual audience. Mostly, I blame the inferior specs.

3rd parties could have support the Wii better. But I also understand the Wii requires special attention. PC, PS3, and 360 can share games rather easily. The Wii doesn't have that benefit.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

Anyhow, I'm bored of this debate.

You're not bored with the debate, you've lost the dabate.  Over and over and over.

You speak of an audience that never was there yet fail to grasp that many core games sold very decently from the onset.   It most certainly was there but 3rd parties failed to cater to them on the Wii without any sense of intention to reverse that mistake.

And you claim there was plenty of time for publishers to change their Wii support.  I'm going to call it right here that you are simply not familiar enough with the development cycles of publishers to make an informed enough debate on the subject.  You are asking an aircraft carrier to do a 180 in under 100 feet. Just not going to happen.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Anyhow, I'm bored of this debate.

You're not bored with the debate, you've lost the dabate.  Over and over and over.

You speak of an audience that never was there yet fail to grasp that many core games sold very decently from the onset.   It most certainly was there but 3rd parties failed to cater to them on the Wii without any sense of intention to reverse that mistake.

And you claim there was plenty of time for publishers to change their Wii support.  I'm going to call it right here that you are simply not familiar enough with the development cycles of publishers to make an informed enough debate on the subject.  You are asking an aircraft carrier to do a 180 in under 100 feet. Just not going to happen.

I lost? I'm not sure if this is a disccusion to be won.

We are entitled to our opinions.

Recently Completed