By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gabe Newell: 'next-gen game engines will be ten times harder'

Slimebeast said:
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:
zarx said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I don't see much of a difference (and Oblivion on consoles has shadows, I just dunno why they don't show in that picture). Besides, that screen may be of the PC version of Rage.

id Tech 6 is unheard of. Tech 5 is the next gen, Carmack said it himself, it's designed to scale with next gen hardware. Same with CryEngine 3.

well you asked me to compare the screens, and I haven't seen it on consoles so thats all I had to judge it by, it is pretty obvius to me which one looks better anyway I mean the share level of detail afforded by mega textures makes it look far better to me, side by side RAGE looks sharp and richly detailed where as Oblivion looks blurry and lacks detail, the fact that I hate bloom lighting probably doesn't help. As far as I know they haven't shown the PC version of RAGE yet and apparently the PC version will use the same models and textures so other than resolution and possible extra AA it will look the same.

as for id tech 6 has been detailed by Carmack in the past, it currently doesn't run on any known hardware as it utilises ray tracing and voxel rendering. Even if current engines will scale to next gen hardware, engines designed for the hardware will surpass them in time just like what happened this gen except the leap will likely be much greater.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

Besides, that screen may be of the PC version of Rage.

I don't know about those screens but that's what companies usually do when they release pics of their games. Usually it's a picture that's been manipulated to look better. Also, all gameplay we've seen of Rage is 360 AFAIK, and that looks great. Much better than Oblivion. The only good thing about Oblivion's graphics is draw distance, and even then, there's a lot missing. Terrain, tree sprites, and city walls aren't the only thing that exist in the world. I've seen forts appear out of nowhere at just 100 meters in the superior PC version, and that's just horrible.

Slimebeast said:

And don't forget that both id Tech 5 and CryEngine 3 are supposedly next gen techs according to their respective developers, the very generation Gabe is talking about.

In that case we're going to have next-gen tech this gen. Next year to be precise. Are we living in next gen already? I don't think so. If the engine scales well, it doesn't mean the version we get is next gen.

zarx said:
Slimebeast said:
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:
zarx said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I don't see much of a difference (and Oblivion on consoles has shadows, I just dunno why they don't show in that picture). Besides, that screen may be of the PC version of Rage.

id Tech 6 is unheard of. Tech 5 is the next gen, Carmack said it himself, it's designed to scale with next gen hardware. Same with CryEngine 3.

well you asked me to compare the screens, and I haven't seen it on consoles so thats all I had to judge it by, it is pretty obvius to me which one looks better anyway I mean the share level of detail afforded by mega textures makes it look far better to me, side by side RAGE looks sharp and richly detailed where as Oblivion looks blurry and lacks detail, the fact that I hate bloom lighting probably doesn't help. As far as I know they haven't shown the PC version of RAGE yet and apparently the PC version will use the same models and textures so other than resolution and possible extra AA it will look the same.

as for id tech 6 has been detailed by Carmack in the past, it currently doesn't run on any known hardware as it utilises ray tracing and voxel rendering. Even if current engines will scale to next gen hardware, engines designed for the hardware will surpass them in time just like what happened this gen except the leap will likely be much greater.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I think Oblivion looks fantastic and I LOVE bloom/HDR.

As for the bolded, what do you mean the leap will be much greater? Greater than what?

Slimebeast said:
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:
zarx said:

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I think Oblivion looks fantastic and I LOVE bloom/HDR.

As for the bolded, what do you mean the leap will be much greater? Greater than what?

Oh oblivion is far from a bad looking game (unless you are looking at NPCs faces eewww) but RAGE just looks far better in every way amd manages to run at 60fps.

as for the bolded I mean the leap between engines scaled from last gen and engines truly developed next gen hardware. This gen even tho there is a clear difference it will be much greater next gen.

P.S. I am well aware I am entitled to my opinion, as are you. You don't have to remind me every post you make lol.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!