By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - ELSPA to produce digital download charts

This is good news all round. At least we'll be able to finally get some figure on the DD market and get a true gage on popularity. Be nice to have some profit figures though.

Around the Network
shio said:
DirtyP2002 said:
shio said:
DirtyP2002 said:

PC gaming is MMOs and browser / social network games these days. The rest is VERY small. Get over it.

It's funny that you criticize PC Gaming so much, yet you haven't shown any proof to support your argument. How about linking some sources with hard facts?

What I find it funny is that you completely ignore the dozens of millions of PC gamer that play MMO, just because you don't like MMOs... A PC Gamer KNOWS that MMOs are very much a part of PC Gaming.

MMOs are some of the most hardcore games. Are you going to ignore Counter-Strike next?

And it's also funny that you ignore browser and social games. Why ignore them? Most console games are as much casual as PC browser and social games.

Come on shio, how many times do you want me to post the interview with epic "the money is on console"? I did this 4-5 times on VGC already.

Or the financial reports of THQ, EA, Activision (not Blizzard --> PC only), Ubisoft, Square Enix, Capcom etc etc etc.

And you weren't able to provide us with ANY link that cod4 sold 10million on PC.

And no, I don't ignore MMOs. I never did. If you like MMOs, you should get a gaming PC and play them on your PC. The PC got the best variety of MMOs and works just fine with it.

All I said is that there is not much left on the PC that sells decent amounts except MMOs and social games / facebook games (Actually those don't sell at all :D). Sure you get your Blizzard RTS every couple of years (and those are brilliant) but besides that, there is not much left.

----

@ steam accounts

There are more than 25 million accounts, but I couldn't find any information that those accounts bought anything on steam. And the daily peaks with 2.5 million users are not 2.5 million users actually playing. They are signed in. It is pretty common that when you boot your PC your signing in automatically. Check the stats and do the math:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

add the peaks of the top 100 games in the past 24 hours and you are getting somewhere near the 300 - 400k mark. So assume all games would have their peak at the very same time, you have 300-400k people actually playing at the same time.

I never checked when a big game just saw a release date though. The only big PC game left on steam for this year is Black Ops, so I will check the numbers again.

So there are not 25 million unique users on Steam.Heck i even got 3 accounts, because I always forgot my password. Actually I need a 4th one :D

And Steam accounts for 70% of the global digital distribution PC market according to this:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26158

So your only evidence is an interview which provides no hard facts, and financial figures from Console-centric publishers which not only do they often not include digital sales in the PC section, but they also don't post the profits of each platform, which would significantly enhance the PC platform in those financial reports due to the fact that the profit margin of PC games are in a whole different level compared to console games.

As for the Steam active accounts, I don't remember where I read that they're accounts with bought games, but it's already the common opinion. Either way, if those 25 millions were accounts logged into the last 30 days, it would further help my point, because then it probably means that even more people are on Steam than just 25 millions.

As for how many people are playing on Steam, the truth is, not only it does not count the people offline on Steam (which I currently have been recently), but it also doesn't count the people that playing non-Steam games while being online on Steam (very common, especially considering that Steam allows you to add non-Steam games to Steam).

It's funny that you seemed to forget Civilization V, among other Steamworks titles that are coming soon. This year Steam has had far more Steamworks titles than ever before. This past few weeks Mafia 2, Worms Reloaded and, just yesterday, R.U.S.E. came out. And this year we're still going to have these Steamworks titles:

• Civilization V
  • Fallout: New Vegas 
  • Darksiders 
  • Red Faction: Armageddon 
  • Brink 
  • Torchlight 2
  • Natural Selection 2
  • Nuclear Dawn
  • It's funny that you somehow think Steam isn't doing exceptional, but in truth, Steam has had a 100% growth every year. In 2009, Steam increased 205!!! http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1271

For the first paragraph:

you are just assuming things here. again. Why do you think are PC games more profitable? And if this was the case, why would publishers not support it in a way they do with consoles?

And financial reports do include the revenue of digital sales. They just have to. There are laws for this. I already proofed you wrong about this with EA in another thread. There is no distribution division that creates any revenue. :-/

And financial reports ARE hard facts.

For the 2nd paragraph:

Why am I not surprised that you can't remember where you read this stuff. And no, it is NOT common sense. If it were, you would find a link. You are not providing hard facts.

And what the hell means that: "Either way, if those 25 millions were accounts logged into the last 30 days, it would further help my point, because then it probably means that even more people are on Steam than just 25 millions." Yeah, but they are not. Your point?

For the 3rd paragraph:

Are there many non-steam games that sold decent amounts? Steam is by far the biggest platform for digital distribution of videogames on PC and there are more than 1000 games available. So the number of people using steam for non-steam games might be tiny. Offline is a possibility, but as you can see by the numbers, much more people are logged in than people actually playing. Again playing offline on steam might account for a very small percentage. Steam is a platform that requires internet-connection (unlike consoles). So every PC that runs steam has an internet-connection, why would they log out to play the games?

For the 4th paragraph:

Yeah I forgot Civ 5. My bad.

The games you listed aren't huge, sorry. Mafia II for example had 13k people (peak in the past 24 hours) playing on steam. And Ruse peak did not even croo 4k. Not a huge number that makes a difference. Maybe Fallout will make the chart bump a little bit, but that is it. So Civ 5, Black Ops and maybe Fallout have a chance to make the chart jump. I can't wait to see the stats when they are released.

And why do you think I am against steam? I am not. It does well and is the best digital distribution platform for full games. I prefer XBLA for smaller games, because there always is a demo and it works just perfect. But overall steam is a nice platform.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:

For the first paragraph:

you are just assuming things here. again. Why do you think are PC games more profitable? And if this was the case, why would publishers not support it in a way they do with consoles?

And financial reports do include the revenue of digital sales. They just have to. There are laws for this. I already proofed you wrong about this with EA in another thread. There is no distribution division that creates any revenue. :-/

And financial reports ARE hard facts.

Pretty sure I already posted this in another thread:

http://steamreview.org/posts/finances/

Profit margins for developers are a major selling point for digital distribution, and Steam does not let the side down. I’m pleased to say that there are now figures as accurate as possible for each margin: 10%-20% for traditional retail/publisher deals; roughly 60% for Steam developers; and an incredible 86% for Valve themselves. Add to that the fact that Valve doesn’t take the developer’s IP and the effective margin becomes wider still.

The financial reports don't have a breakdown for profits by platform only revenue, but from this we can surmise that at worst a DD PC game only needs 1/3rd the sales of the console version to be profitable and at best 1/6th. So if a console game needs 1 million sales to break even, the DD PC version only needs between 166,667-333,334.