By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii-Mote Capabilities - Video (lightsaber in use)

in case the embedding doesn't work: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=26442

This is a great demo of what the Wii-Mote is capable of. Note that he specifically mentions that the delay in reaction time is caused by a filter he is using which supports my point in a recent thread that the slowdown is in actual code and note in hardware.

Considering that this is just what one guy did in his free time (from all appearances) one can only imagine what a studio actually working on this type of project can do (Lucas Arts anyone?).

No matter how you look at it, this is really cool stuff.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Very interesting ...

I actually am very curious as to how much of an impact the Wiimote (both in design and popularity) is having in the HCI (Human Computer Interaction) Research World ... After Minority Report came out, pretty much every HCI lab in the world came up with their own version of the user-interfaces presented in that movie

Sweet...it's too bad that the actual Wii sensor bar only has 2 lights then.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

very very interesting, TP's take note I dont want to see crappy wii controls, since this guy buy himself is outpacing you.

BenKenobi88 said:
Sweet...it's too bad that the actual Wii sensor bar only has 2 lights then.

Actually, the sensor bar has two clusters of LEDs. But even if it had 2 it would only need that, basically since it knows the distance between the LEDs it can calulate how far it is from them based on how far apart they "appear" in its IR camera.  

He is basically using the custom setup for obtaining absolute position relative to the TV, its nice to have to help smooth things out but not absolutely essential.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Oooh, wireless sculpting.

I hope Lucasarts is listening. That simple demo of the lightsaber made me drool.

Hey can someone send Lucasarts the link to this so they can make a real Lightsaber game. Could you imagine a lightsaber duel game with online capabilities. That would be sick!

The big thing holding this control scheme back is that it depends on the wiimote being pointed at the IR beacons. It can track the wiimote perfectly, just don't point it away from the TV.

I'm afraid this is a pretty severe limitation for a true lightsaber game. :/

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Maybe in Wii2 then. Is 5 years too long to wait for a great lightsaber game?