By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Firmware 3.42 Now Live

And it's mandatory.  Apparently it does... stuff.

Download went super fast though.  I'm gald they finally enabled firmware patching with update 3.40. Having to redownload the entire firmware every update prior to that was a pain.

Around the Network

Like most FWs, there will be a list of "features" that this FW does in the next day or so. What's firmware patching?

SnakeEyez said:

Like most FWs, there will be a list of "features" that this FW does in the next day or so. What's firmware patching?

Probably the console only downloads the new files and the files that have changed since last version. That way you don't have to download entire system software from scratch and save some time.

I bet it probz has just some extra code that prevents that piece of crap thats called a "jailbreak" from working

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Serious_frusting said:

I bet it probz has just some extra code that prevents that piece of crap thats called a "jailbreak" from working

yup im sure too lol

Around the Network

there goes the hack...

mM

I thought they took care of the jailbreak last week when the PSN was down for almost a day.  Oh well, you say the install is quick and painless.  Hopefully there's at least one cool feature (disc free Netflix, please!) included.

I doubt it stops the hack people. 

This hack is more than just PSJailbreak now. You It is open source and it has evolved into more than what SONY was targetting.

This hack runs from the USB dongle, Calculators, Android Based Phones, Nokia Phones, etc... and they are in the works on getting it to work with not just the PSP, but getting to to load from DualShock 3 controllers.

What's next, SONY disables PS3 controllers?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

If this update is about jailbraik lockout and that is the approach they decided to take, this is going to be a very tough battle for sony.

The future of the Jailbreak hack is not in the hardware (usb dongle) but the software behind it which is going to be upgradable.

All you need is something like this for example - http://www.avrusb.com/ 

One can buy a basic USB dev kit chip like that, which can be programmed with the PS3 Jailbreak or any homebrew software and keep upgrading the Jailbreak software hack as Sony updates the PSN.

Its going to be a tit for tat kind of war between hackers and Sony. Sony patch something, hackers have a new Jailbreak firmware in a week or two. Sony may eventually have to start banning consoles...

Euphoria14 said:

I doubt it stops the hack people. 

Actually, it does.

"Update: We can confirm that all variants of the USB-hub emulating exploit (PSFreedom, PSGroove, PSJailbreak) are no longer functional in firmware 3.42."

http://exophase.com/

unless you hack and don't update for now.