By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Firmware 3.42 Now Live

dsister said:
leo-j said:

firmware 2.40

Sorry, I don't have all the firmwares and their features memorized

Gonna have to be more descriptive then that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

Read up. The PS3's come a long way since launch. It's practically a completely different machine.

Around the Network
Sweep said:

Sony's got several way to protect :

1.All future games and applications to require a new firmware (and by requiring I mean the game can not work without it, offline or online)

2.For very important games (GT5) they could provide a Dongle necessary to play it

3.They could also make a mandatory install for games that force you to update firmware (once the game starts to install, it installs also the new firmware)

4.They can go the way with online activation of new games

5.They can also try to update their firmware very frequently (weekly basis)

It's going to take a while to get games to get the new firmware update. Just enough time for the pirates to update

2.... how much do those dongles cost to produce along with the software on them? Have fun paying an extra $20 per game :D

3. This is the exact same as one :P

4. Sorry, but this idea is just stupid.... Not everyone has access to broadband. SOny would be crippling their fanbase

5. Same thing with one. Even though they can release firmware every week doesn't mean games are going to put that firmware to use that quickly... Only Sony would probably, and they don't release a game every week

@guy who responded to me: I'm leaving to school in five minutes and don't have the time to read that. Just making sure you don't think I ignored you ^_^

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

dsister said:
Sweep said:

1.All future games and applications to require a new firmware (and by requiring I mean the game can not work without it, offline or online)

2.For very important games (GT5) they could provide a Dongle necessary to play it

3.They could also make a mandatory install for games that force you to update firmware (once the game starts to install, it installs also the new firmware)

It's going to take a while to get games to get the new firmware update. Just enough time for the pirates to update

2.... how much do those dongles cost to produce along with the software on them? Have fun paying an extra $20 per game :D

4. Sorry, but this idea is just stupid.... Not everyone has access to broadband. SOny would be crippling their fanbase

5. Same thing with one. Even though they can release firmware every week doesn't mean games are going to put that firmware to use that quickly... Only Sony would probably, and they don't release a game every week

@guy who responded to me: I'm leaving to school in five minutes and don't have the time to read that. Just making sure you don't think I ignored you ^_^

You're ignoring the possibility that this new firmware might actually stop the exploit in it's tracks. If it indeed does, there's no real update pirates can do. People will be forced to update or buy a second PS3 only to have their first not only cut off from PSN but limited to games that are on the market now. They'll just have to look for a new exploit and it took 3 years just to find this one. Everyone seems to think it's just blocking jailbreak but no one's considering the actual exploit being fixed.

nikosx said:

"The PS3 jailbreak and PSGroove reportedly attack consoles running firmware version 3.41 by simulating a USB hub with six devices on an Atmel microcontroller-based developer board, and sending crafted configuration descriptors to the PS3 when first connected. The descriptor is used by USB devices to indicate how many connections it possesses and whether it has an external power supply. Very long descriptors cause buffer overflows on the PS3, allowing code to be injected onto the stack and executed.

In order to circumvent the copy protection mechanism, the simulated USB hub proceeds through a number of steps and emulates connecting various devices in a specific sequence. In doing so, it triggers a series of buffer overflows allowing it to write various pieces of data and code to the stack. The final step is to execute the code."

Source: http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/PS3-hack-source-code-published-Update-1071444.html

If the buffer overflow is fixed I don't think they can adjust the PS3 jailbreak to the new firmware.

Well, there's one person considering it.

IMU1808 said:

Not really... Newer games have always come with the latest firmware or the one just prior depending one when the game goes into print. It's been that way since Firmware 1.02. Most just didn't know about this until the recent Other OS hack thing.

All 360 games come with the lastest firmware and require the avatar upgrade which disables the Jtag hack.

However it doesn't stop anyone who knows what they are doing from ripping them and taking the update out in order for them to work on their Jtag'ed 360 console.

Sony update on every new game disk may disable regular users from being able to rip the bluray on to the hard drive...which is good.

But I doubt it can stop people with bluray drives and technical abilities from doing this this...

Around the Network
dsister said:
Sweep said:

Ready to bet that all games coming after the end of september will require this new firmware :)

2.... how much do those dongles cost to produce along with the software on them? Have fun paying an extra $20 per game :D.

Ready to bet that it's less than 1-2 $ with mass production

3. This is the exact same as one :P.

Same bet

4. Sorry, but this idea is just stupid.... Not everyone has access to broadband. SOny would be crippling their fanbase. 

Could be done for gamers wanting to perform online multiplayer with their game. 

No but this could make hackers work harder and quickly invalidate each one of their attempts

IMU1808 said:
dsister said:
Sweep said:

You're ignoring the possibility that this new firmware might actually stop the exploit in it's tracks. If it indeed does, there's no real update pirates can do. People will be forced to update or buy a second PS3 only to have their first not only cut off from PSN but limited to games that are on the market now. They'll just have to look for a new exploit and it took 3 years just to find this one. Everyone seems to think it's just blocking jailbreak but no one's considering the actual exploit being fixed.

Once the system is open, it's only a matter of time before other exploits, features etc. are found. Also, hackers like Waninkoko will continue to work on it. Now that they have access to the system files, it getting MUCH easier to alter the system files. It could be very well possible that they find a method to downgrade PS3s, or, in worst case, they find a hack which is hardware based, but easy to assemble, like the Pandora battery thingy for the PSP.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

and Sony strikes back with avengence

disolitude said:
IMU1808 said:

All 360 games come with the lastest fir

Sony update on every new game disk may disable regular users from being able to rip the bluray on to the hard drive...which is good.

But I doubt it can stop people with bluray drives and technical abilities from doing this this...

What website is that?

zaMy said:

What website is that?

Mod Edit: disolitude should know better than to post things like that even if it is "hidden."