By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Spoony One weighs in on Other M

Not sure how many of you are fans of The Spoony Experiment*, but he's given his thoughts on Other M.

Check out the second video of this link: http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/09/05/pre-pax-ramblings/

* Or if this is already a thread somewhere else.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Yeah, I just saw it on his website(big fan here). Man, he really hated the game but Im still interested in Other M gameplay-wise even though the story might suck. Might get it after it gets cheap.

I know Spoony is a very intelligent, talented guy who doesn't go to hate stuff, but if I knew him personall and he was saying this right in front of me I couldn't let this slide. I think he is being a severely overblown about Samus' character being metaphorically raped and that's mostly because the Japanese always like even their badasses having insecurities and doubts. Their motto basically is that being badass never makes you stop being human and usually a persona like that is a shell for security. Anyway, I'm just walk away from this but I do think Spoony is wrong about this.

Aiddon said:

I know Spoony is a very intelligent, talented guy who doesn't go to hate stuff, but if I knew him personall and he was saying this right in front of me I couldn't let this slide. I think he is being a severely overblown about Samus' character being metaphorically raped and that's mostly because the Japanese always like even their badasses having insecurities and doubts. Their motto basically is that being badass never makes you stop being human and usually a persona like that is a shell for security. Anyway, I'm just walk away from this but I do think Spoony is wrong about this.

Freaking out at something you faced before is not having insecurities or doubts. Talking on and on is not that either.

Compare D of Vampire Hunter D. He has those, but it's mostly shown through subtext or subtlety. Doing that would have worked great for this game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Spoony doesnt like a Wii game... thats a shock *cough*

Can anyone name another Wii game he has bothered to to talk about in detail much less review? I hardly trust this guy with what games to buy and not to buy, he's pretty much just an entertainer not a serious reviewer.

Around the Network

I'm assuming, from the praise he heaps on Kojima's storytelling (albeit with a huge asterisk), that I'm never going to see eye-to-eye with this guy.

My friend's father just retired from the Military. He was a Sergeant Major and he spent countless years over in the middle east. Ever since he came back, he has had PTSD where sometimes the scent of a BBQ will remind him of the burning bodies he could smell over there in the war.

Sometimes when they have a BBQ he is perfectly fine, and other times when they have a BBQ he becomes emotionally unstable and flips out. This is a badass Sergeant Major we're talking about, and he's 50 btw.

This is a true story, take it as you will Lord. I don't think you understand PTSD at all (based on what I read in the other thread).

wfz said:

My friend's father just retired from the Military. He was a Sergeant Major and he spent countless years over in the middle east. Ever since he came back, he has had PTSD where sometimes the scent of a BBQ will remind him of the burning bodies he could smell over there in the war.

Sometimes when they have a BBQ he is perfectly fine, and other times when they have a BBQ he becomes emotionally unstable and flips out. This is a badass Sergeant Major we're talking about, and he's 50 btw.

This is a true story, take it as you will Lord. I don't think you understand PTSD at all (based on what I read in the other thread).

Um, I have personal experience with it, so don't tell me I don't know about it.

Besides, that's still not solidly shown in the game. It seems to be just a fan justification for it.

ah sweet! another metroid hate thread, we have far too few of those lately

spdk1 said:

ah sweet! another metroid hate thread, we have far too few of those lately

Well we have a few love threads, in case you didn't notice. Plus there is nothing in the title or OP to indicate that, so either you just assumed without actually looking, or you watched the video.