By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - God Didn't Create Universe

hm, this is just a publicity stunt just to get people interested in his new book.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
ManusJustus said:

strunge said:

it's not big news because it doesn't add anything new to the scenario.  physicists and aetheists have been claiming that the universe can exist by nature solely for years, so it isn't "new"s just because one more person says it because he has a greater visibility.

For what its worth, Stephen Hawking understands the universe better than almost everyone on Earth.

How do you know this?  Stephen could be just a good saleman , selling a load of bull.

PhD in theoretical physics, deep understanding of the laws of physics, sound understanding of many of the theories currently debated in physics, has published many peer reviewed papers, fellow of the royal society for his achievements, once occupied the same role at Cambridge as other scientists such as Sir Isaac Newton and Sir Arthur Eddington, one of the most celebrated scientists of all time...

Nah, he's just  good salesman, doesn't understand the universe at all.

highwaystar101 said:
Smidlee said:
ManusJustus said:

strunge said:

it's not big news because it doesn't add anything new to the scenario.  physicists and aetheists have been claiming that the universe can exist by nature solely for years, so it isn't "new"s just because one more person says it because he has a greater visibility.

For what its worth, Stephen Hawking understands the universe better than almost everyone on Earth.

How do you know this?  Stephen could be just a good saleman , selling a load of bull.

PhD in theoretical physics, deep understanding of the laws of physics, sound understanding of many of the theories currently debated in physics, has published many peer reviewed papers, fellow of the royal society for his achievements, once occupied the same role at Cambridge as other scientists such as Sir Isaac Newton and Sir Arthur Eddington, one of the most celebrated scientists of all time...

A PhD would give him even more ability to sell bull to the common person. Understanding physics doesn't equal understand the universe including ourselves. 

Slimebeast said:

The universe created itself from nothing because Steve Hawking said so.

Haha, don't worry its not exactly like that. Stephen Hawking's words have been twisted a bit, he said God wasn't necessary for the origin of the universe, not that he didn't exist. It's slightly different to saying he doesn't exist outright. Personally he doesn't accept a divine origin to the universe though.

It's probably also important to note that when a theoretical physicist talks about "God", they just use it in a poetic sense to describe any generic intelligence determining the initial state of our universe. It's not relating to a personal God of any kind. Just thought I'd clear that up as it usually comes into these threads at some point.

Smidlee said:
ManusJustus said:

strunge said:

the statement "Stephen Hawking (or anyone else) has the ability to understand the universe" is in itself based on faith.

His work on singularities and hawking radiation completely definitely prove that he isn't selling bull.

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
highwaystar101 said:
Smidlee said:
ManusJustus said:

strunge said:

A PhD would give him even more ability to sale bull to the common person. Understanding physics doesn't equal understand the universe including ourselves. 

Ouch! That's an insult to those of us going down the PhD route. You know, we're expected to have this little thing called integrity. In fact it's hard to get one without it.

Rath said:
Smidlee said:
ManusJustus said:

strunge said:

the statement "Stephen Hawking (or anyone else) has the ability to understand the universe" is in itself based on faith.

His work on singularities and hawking radiation completely definitely prove that he isn't selling bull.

Even if he understand black holes and send his mother-in- law through one is not the same as understanding the universe which happens to have a creature which thinks it understands the universe.

Kasz216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Consider this. If there is other intelligent life forms out there in space, would they have the same beliefs as we Earthlings do? I honestly doubt it. I bet they're way more advanced than us to.

More advanced in religious beliefs?  That's silly... that's like suggesting someone can be more advanced in favorite colours.

I think it is sad to assume that is what I meant. As in more advance,  obviously I meant in technology. Duh

edit. In my opinion, only technology can make our lifes better. religion, and politics  doen't help us at all because religion and politics go hand in hand. But, this has nothing to do with the topic, kind of.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
AnthonyW86 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Consider this. If there is other intelligent life forms out there in space, would they have the same beliefs as we Earthlings do? I honestly doubt it. I bet they're way more advanced than us to.

I've alway's said if an alien lifeform were to ever visit earth the first thing ''they'' would judge us on is the fact that something ancient like religion is still widely accepted here. In their eyes it would probably make us look like cavemen.

Yes, I agree with you 110%

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
d21lewis said:

Hawing and God created the universe together.  Then God took all of the credit.

And I'm assuming Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee were the supervisors?