By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Sandbagging the Wii

I trust analysts about as much as used car salesmen to provide me with honest information.

Around the Network
takkxyz said:
Well, they actually did increase the production, there was some lul during the mid-year where Wii was easier to get than now (was still hard, but not too hard). Also, the DS Lite also suffered from shortage for a period of time as well.

That is when they should have been pumping out consoles to build up there stock.

@ facher83

I was typing from an old fashioned newspaper (printed with ink on newsprint paper 8*>). I would have linked it if my local paper didn't think everything should be pay access. And since it was an article about the Wii turning 1 year old, I could not find a current web-based copy.

@ Renar

True, stocks show perceived future value. But if you are buying out a company, you buy the stock for control. So it also indicates perceived current value.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

http://www.latimes.com/business/printedition/la-fi-wii8dec08,0,442926.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-business

I guess this is the most appropriate thread for this. 

"Normally we'd build up inventory over the summer when demand is slower," he said. "Instead, we ended up selling everything we could make this summer. As a result, we went into the holidays without any additional inventory."

Explains why the Wii is so hard to find. They only have units produced late novemebr, early december to sell this month. 

How does it benefit Nintendo, if a gamer walks into a store to buy a Wii, and some games, but walks out without because the Wii wasn't there. Nintendo wants to make money. They can't profit from dissapointing the customer.

Around the Network

To FishyJoe,

If the economy turns sour it doesn't mean nintendo will fair better than Sony because of their smaller size. Sony is much more diversified in their business operations(finance, ad, and tech groups). So I think Sony could be possibly less risky than Nintendo who's core business is just video games.

d21lewis said:
How does it benefit Nintendo, if a gamer walks into a store to buy a Wii, and some games, but walks out without because the Wii wasn't there. Nintendo wants to make money. They can't profit from dissapointing the customer.

Actually, there's a critical time for a console when games -actually- become available for that console.  If anything, as long as demand is still high, it's probable that customers will be better satisfied with "Wii" in general when more games are on the shelves to choose from.  It would be -bad- if a consumer were disappointed with Wii's selection and then sold it to someone else.

But that's all speculation, just as your question is as well.  In all honesty, as long as consumers -still- plan on buying a Wii it doesn't really matter.  The longer it takes, the more games on the shelves will attract more business. 

Besides, everyone wants the latest craze, whether it's meritted or not. 

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Gotta Love the free market economy : )

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.