By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why doesnt Nintendo put more games on dual layer discs?

MrT-Tar said:

I was thinking about this not that long ago, and here are my thoughts:

A lot of space in games comes from FMVs, generally games done by Nintendo don't utilise a lot of FMVs.  This is probably due to the N64 using cartridges and that might have set a precedent concerning how many FMVs are in 3d Nintendo games.

SSBBrawl came on a dual layer disc, MP Trilogy did and so will Other M.  The Last Story almost certainly will (Lost Odyssey came on 4 discs, if I remember correctly).  I'm pretty sure Zelda SS will as well, Zelda TP had a decent amount of FMVs considering it had to fit on a Gamecube mini disk, so I'm sure  Skyward Sword will have more and possibly orchastrated music or voice acting, all which will take up more space.  It could also possibly due to not many Nintendo games having extensive voice acting.

It's also worth noting that Nintendo have always made their games relatively small size wise, just think about how little games came on 2 GC discs, I can think of Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil remake, 4 and zero, both Baten Kaitos, Zelda WW (one was a bonus disc though)  MGS Twin Snakes and that LotR RPG.  Even then, most were 3rd party and DVDs hold roughly 2x as much.

You are correct Lost Odyssey did come on 4 discs and I still have it on my hard drive.  It takes up 23.2 gigs.  Sakaguchi doesn't believe in compressing video so the Last Story is definitely going to come on multiple discs unless they do every cinematic scene using the in graphics game engine.  Blue Dragon was his other 360 game and it came on 3 discs.

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't put games on dual layer discs that often because their titles usually don't use many fmv cutscenes or utilize a lot of dialogue.  I think fmv cutscenes and dialogue is what takes up the most space in addition to game resolution and texture quality.

Edit) As for what games I think is going to use dual layers I think the Last Story from mistwalker is going to be one since Sakaguchi doesn't believe in compressing fmv scenes.  He also seems to be pushing the graphics on the Wii to the limit with his title.

Dragonquest 10 and Xenoblade may be two others if we get a international edition with bonus content (additional languages and scenes) when the game comes to the west from Japan.

theprof00 said:
tyig said:
theprof00 said:
tyig said:

If they can make a game that fits in a CD and sells 20 millionm why would they?

They're definitely not using cds.

Oh really? Thanks genius, I said the game fits in a CD not that they're using it.

which of their games fit on a cd?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Link's Crossbow Training, Wii Music, Wii Chess, Wii Play, Wii Sports.

Nintendo are really tidy and efficient programmers.  They don't waste any space.  All those games can fit on a CD.  They only use a dual-layer when they really really need to fill a game with tons and tons of crap, like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy, and apparently M:oM.

Often a huge game is a sign of inefficient coding, not even more assets.  For example, this game is a whole gigabyte:

Soriku said:

How many RPGs out there are completely voiced? I can't think of one. Is FF XIII fully voiced (including NPCs)? I'm talking about the large majority of PS2 RPGs or Wii RPGs. Large majority (if not all in the Wii's case) don't use dual layer.

Low quality audio? Some RPGs I've played I think had varying voice audio but most of them are completely fine...still not dual layered. I don't see why Nintendo would use the best of the best audio in Zelda anyway to the point it's dual layer...

oftentimes lower quality audio doesn't sound lower quality, the volume is just lower. It's similar to resolution, you can have high resolution on a small file size, but the picture will be smaller.

Valkyria chronicles is completely voiced. tales of phantasia, oblivion, demon's souls, fallout 3, kotor, a bunch of jrpgs have voicing.

Listen, I'm not talking every character has to be voiced, I'm saying nintendo games have 0 voice acting. There's some sounds or maybe some garble like in animal crossing. That saves a huge amount of space. It's not a bad thing, but it's not a good thing either. It's just a different way of doing things.

Audio is roughly a meg for every minute. It gets bigger the better quality the audio is. HD audio takes up a lot of space too. And the highest quality is always uncompressed. 

I think one of the reasons ssbb was so large is because of all the music in the game. Also because of the number of characters. Each character takes up quite a bit of space.

Also I think dual layers are harder to pirate.

but that's probably a bad reason to use them.

Around the Network

Because they don't need to? If a game that pushes the hardware to the limit like SMG2 can fit in a single layer DVD, why they should? NSMBW fits in about 300mb, even if the game was 10times longer it would still fit on a DVD. If they need more space on disc they use a dual layer like they did with SSB and now with Other M, I don't really get the problem, ...also the detail that you put into the game depends on the hardware capabilities not by the size of discs-.-

If the game fits on a single-layer disk, there's no reason to use a dual-layer disk.

This doesn't seem that difficult...

Why would they? SMG2 is like 1.4GB or some ridiculously small number. Why use a bigger one?