By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Some thoughts on Wii Game sales

I was just expecting something else with Red Steel. I thought I would be sword fighting through half the game.

Rayman 2 is still a decent game and I recommend it to anyone who liked the first. It jsut failed to havea 1 player game like the first one and the on rails part went from awesome to mediocre. It doesserve as a better party game with more multi-player options if you like that sort of thing.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

As far as red steel goes, the reason it sold well was it introduced new and in my opinion better controls than any other fps to date, second maybe it isn't that bad of a game? first of all people are acting as if professional reviews were poor, they weren't they were mixed, second if you take a look at reader averages for the game it actually is rated pretty decently, Frankly I think Red Steel 2 as long as they learn some lessons from medal of honor's gameplay, either scrap the sword fights or rework them into something fun, and Implement a decent story it could be an incredible game

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kyros said:
"Say for example they delay Mario Party 9 to 2009 to make it "perfect". "

I question the assumption that you could make these games decisively better. Few people will buy multiple of them. As you said the Wii is a social console and the fun is in interacting with others. Having 2000 new minigames with better graphics won't make the game experience better because thats not the point. Its like Tetris you couldn't improve it with more modes, it just got worse.

What would make them truely better is to look back at all the minigame compilations and take what works, what is  an interesting use of the Wiimote, and what isn't jsut exhausting. For example WiiTennis is largely considered the best of the WiiSports titles. WiiBoxing is largely a wash. Rayman 1 had aabout 80% excellent uses of the mini games, Rayman 2 about 40%, Mario Party 8 about 40%, and M%S at the Olympics about 50% (from what I have heard). Imagine a game with 90%+ good uses of the Wiiremote without reliance on games that just make you shake your arms as fasty as possible to run. This would be a better game.

They could add online, worthwhile unlockables, charaters from other platforms(Sonic and Metal Gear anyone), new gameplay styles like the Hotel thing they did in 8, more powerups. Frankly the minigames were the only thing that didn't suck in 8. Make those slightly better and give me more maps and it will be on my purchase list. 

Also Mario Party 8 has sold 3.11 Million copies. That is a 20% attach rate. Huge. Now i think in the next 2-3 years Nintendo will sell 45 million more Wiis. If the attach rate is even that would be 9 million copies. Maybe is wont do  that many, as maintaining an attach rate is hard, but also many original buyers will buy the sequel. How else d oyou explain Madden? 

And for the record I have owned Mario Party 2,6, and 8.  People do but multiples. The friends my wife and I play with bought 5,7, and 8.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

mike_intellivision said:
Some quick thoughts

1. The only game on the list that I don't have is Red Steel. Should I buy it?

1a. Hopefully Red Steel 2 will not fall into the trap of worse sequels.

1b. Is Rayman Raving Rabids 2 really worse or just got a lower score for "more of the same?" (Sequel disease).

2. There are some stores marking Link's Crossbow up to $25. I fell for that (Target -- thinking it would be supply constrained, I went out the night before Thanksgiving in the US to buy one. I returned it after finding a $20 unit at Wal-Mart two days later.

2a. There have been some supply issues with the Link's Crossbow as the local Gamestop sold out before Thanksgiving. That might have impacted sales.

2b. Shelf space for such a big item has probably limited display and stock during the holiday shopping season.

2c. Nintendo has not pushed this product -- that I have seen. They can be faulted for that.

3. Mario & Sonic should get a second boost before and during the Beijing Olympic games (I am old enough to remember when this was Peking).

4. Nintendo cannot be faulted for not pushing third-party games. In other words, it is under no obligation to advertise Zack & Wiki.

5. Cooking Mama – third-party game still at $50 – has sold 500K units. So it can be done. Trauma Center also sold 500K units, but it got a late-life price drop.

6. Dragon Quest Swords is just short of 500K – and has only released in Japan. That’s the next third-party million seller as soon as it hits EU and NA.

6a. Speaking of which, does anyone know definitely when it is coming out in the US? I must have that game (though I need to finish DQ8 first).

Mike from Morgantown

1. Red Steel is very polarizing. There are tons of flaws but the concept is really, really tight. I mean, guns and swords? WHOA? A definite try before you buy title.

1a. Plus, it's no longer launch, so the flaws will only magnifiy as you compare it to other Wii Shooters (RE4, MP3 etc) Red Steel 2 won't be as forgiven as RS was in face of actual competition.

1b.  RRR1 was a launch party title, and the Rabbids were such a shock of awesome. RRR2 has to compete with several party games and suffers from sequelitis, "more of the same." So reviews gave it a lowerscore.

2.  Yup. LCT hasn't been pushed, and the abnormal size forces retailers to buy fewer copies. While Wii Play is also abnormally sized, it's sold for full price.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

"For example WiiTennis is largely considered the best of the WiiSports titles. WiiBoxing is largely a wash"

Exactly my assessment. Wii Tennis is possibly the best game on the Wii (sorry SMG). Two people+ and the Tennis are just awesome. Boxing was terrible because there was no direct connection between what you were doing and the action on the screen.