By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Some thoughts on Wii Game sales

Here we go:

Mario Party 8

Who would have thought it'd be the best selling game in the series?

Very interesting. It might even reach 4 million lifetime.

When do you think Mario Party 9 will be out? Q4 2008? Q1 2009?

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Although this game was a number one seller and had an extremely high launch attach rate, sales dropped quite a bit after launch...what will life time sales of the Wii version be? 4 million? Perhaps maybe even 5 million?

Super Paper Mario

Also surprisingly successful. I wouldn't think it would sell so well. It's already outsold the original PM and will certainly have outsold TTYD by sometime next year.

Resident Evil 4

This one is interesting, and it make things hopeful for future support. A port of a 2 year old game with few enhancements sold over just over ONE MILLION with a console base of 15 million, whereas the PS2 version sold about 2 million with a console base of around 50 million. 

Let's hope this encourages Capcom to make a RE2 remake for Wii. (as I've never been a fan of RE4 style)

Mario & Sonic

Actually pretty poor sales...I can't explain why....Mario, Sonic, plus tons of Wii Sports like mini games should have made it definitely a million seller by now, or at least better then 600,000.

Zack & Wiki

Kind of discouraging towards future small budget & quirky games...

Red Steel

One million sold, surprising considering the poor reviews. Maybe 2 million sold for Red Steel 2?

Link's Crossbow Training

Suprisingly poor, only 110,000. I didn't expect much but honestly though about triple or quadruple that would have sold by now.

Wii Play

Extremely fast selling with the legs of 50 giraffes......is it purely because of the Wiimote?

Super Mario Galaxy

Good sales so far, but they also seem a little disappointing...I mean, it was released to extreme critical acclaim and is the first 3D Mario game in 5 years...sales are espesically bad in Japan.

And finally...

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Let's face it, Metroid as a series has never sold that well. The best selling games (Metroid Prime & Metroid) only sold around 2,700,000 each. (low for a Nintendo series that's been around for 20 years)

There was also a rather large sales drop from Metroid Prime to Metroid Prime 2, which sold approximately half as much.

But MP3....it's sold pretty poorly so far, and I really don't see it increasing all that much. Will it ever break one million?

Okay, phew, that was a lot of typing...

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Around the Network

Mario Party 8 - amazing sales. Hopefully the next Mario Party will have better controls, be 480p, and have online.
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - great sales. It still sells well and it even sold well on the Gamecube.
Super Paper Mario - great sales.
Resident Evil 4 - no one expected sales this well. Capcom has already released another RE Wii game and will likely release another in 2008.
Mario & Sonic - good legs in all 3 regions. Sega expected somewhere around 2 million in sales but the controls are lacking so most people doubted the expectations coming true. It may even reach Sega's goal.
Zack & Wiki - better sales than I predicted. This game is going to make Capcom money even though Capcom greatly messed up the naming, design, and marketing.
Red Steel - it sold well because it was a launch title with heavy ads and an interesting idea. RS2 better greatly improve if it wants to equal RS sales.
Link's Crossbow Training - Nintendo is hardly pushing the title at all and it has hurt sales.
Wii Play - great sales. It will continue to sell well unless Nintendo comes out with a better bundle.
Super Mario Galaxy - huge sales. A great game with very good sales in America and Other. It is not breaking records in Japan, though.
MP3 - it will likely beat MP2 in sales.

Why did you only select these games?

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Wii play is certainly helped a ton by the Wiimote pack in, but I think it would have solve relatively well without it. The game is only $10 and most people seem to find it at least a little fun. Of course Link's Crossbow Training does make you wonder if it would. Apparently not all fun cheap games will sell super well sadly.

Super Mario Galaxy is not selling poorly though. I cannot understand how that claim can even be made. It is underperforming in Japan, but it is still selling fairly well. If Galaxy is selling poorly, then every PS3 game released in Japan has bombed terribly.

I expected Metroid Prime 3 to sell relatively badly after I played it for a while. It has lost a lot of the charm the first one had, and the controls are mostly over rated. Yeah they are nice, but there are games that handle better out. I am going to say it will break a million, but not much more. I am really hoping that Retro just burned out on the series and there next project will be as amazing as the first Metroid Prime game (which actually played more like an adventure game than FPS).

I think Zak and Wiki is doing fine for what it is. Capcom seemed to have no complaints about the sales so it probably has not hurt the chances of other quirky games coming out. It probably won't help them either though. I suspect these budget titles will pop out everytime a big publisher expects an overly long dry spell and needs some easy cash to fund the big projects.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Nintendo's big problem lies in pushing their titles, games like Zack & Wiki, Link's Crossbow Training were essentially left out to dry.

Nintendo needs to really up the anty on its advertising. I realize they don't want to increase the demand for the Wii beyond the threshold of a positive effect, but they need to move software if they want to attract third party developers and a better diversity of games.

NintendoTogepi said:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Although this game was a number one seller and had an extremely high launch attach rate, sales dropped quite a bit after launch...what will life time sales of the Wii version be? 4 million? Perhaps maybe even 5 million?

I think this game was phenomenally successful.  The gamecube version was released a few weeks later. If you add the two together, this is the third-best selling game of the series right after the original game. I think lifetime sales will surpass 4 million.

Around the Network

zack and wiki are doing fine by virtue of being a good game. It'll keep selling as long as word of mouth is around.

Im not too surprised about MP3. its always been more adventure than about shooting. First person perspective is amazingly immersive, however the way it has been used historically means its all about the action. Not to say MP3 doesnt have its FPS moments of sheer asskicking, but comparatively the FPS demographic does not want to scan and explore stuff. I hope it keeps selling tho, because it is a well made game.

Mario Party 8 - If any title deserved the EA/Madden marginal update moniker on a Nintendo system it's this one. But I think its sales are purely from the implementation of the Wiimote. It makes one of the more accessible Nintendo franchises even MORE accessible. I remember going to used game shops and seeing parents buy Mario Parties for their kids. And even themselves. None of the Mario Party games (except the first one with that rotate the analog stick hand-burning goodness YOWCH!) are very challenging in the controls and the appeal is strong to families to count just one group. I had no doubt that this would sell so great & it's on my list for soon-to-buy. I gotta see how it plays myself to fully understand why it sells so well. Usually when you put 8 as a sequel number on something you're looking a B-horror movie and don't expect great impact. Not so with Mario Party 8.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Zelda represents the old way. The game we WERE expecting. They were smart to usher this in at launch to get the Wii floodgates wide open. It's one of those titles that will sell throughout the life of the system slowly but surely. It's numbers will correspond with the Wii's life-to-date sales. Many people haven't found a Wii yet and many older games will be picked up once they get it. What kills some Wii game sales is not being able to find a Wii. Boy do I love the reel fishing on this! That was inspired. The new Link's Crossbow Training can possibly boost this up too.

Super Paper Mario - I suspect this game will also pick up run off sales if there happens to be a Super Mario Galaxy shortage that day. I wished it was selling more than it is quite frankly but I know it's a fun game. It's the "what about me?" game on my to-buy list. I've wanted it since it came out but also wanted to diversify my library (Godfather, Strikers, Elebits, Rampage) so I kept reluctantly passing it up. This is probably the next game one of the next games I'm getting. But I still gotta beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door first!

Resident Evil 4 - This is in my to-buy list as well. I already have the game on GC (and still haven't beaten it yet!) but I also wanted to check out the Wii version to see this control everyone's been talking about. This Capcom test is paying off in big dividends. This had to be one of the least costly and easiest games to put out & get such a sales margin from meaning profits. I know that with this & Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Capcom is preparing to ready Resident Evil 5 for Wii either multi-platform wise or even exclusively. These sales tell the whole story. The control is possibly making this game more accessible to new audiences too.

Mario & Sonic - This will be a steady seller too. Like I said some titles are sabotaged due to Wii's short supply. People tend not to buy games when they don't have the system. The 2008 Olympics will help move this title. It'll linger like most Nintendo entries and the more Wiis available the more games like this will be picked up once they break out of Wii Sports fever for a little bit. This one will surprise us on the charts as the months go on.

Zack & Wiki - Yes, this is a tragedy. It's heartbreaking to see such a top title get overlooked. Timing was a problem for this one. It launched in the shadow of Super Mario Galaxy. But never fear. I think this one will eventually begin to run with some legs even if they're of the tortoise variety. This is one title we need to campaign to family & friends for as a suggested buy. This needs sponsorship by spokesman to make sure it doesn't get forgotten. Once more Wiis are in more people's hands it will have an effect over all games including this one. Short term failing long term comeback if campaigned for.

Red Steel - Launch power helped this title. It's not the worst game in the world and it has conceptual potential which I dug. But there were some execution problems in those concepts. Red Steel 2 may resolve this. Remember another title whose sequel was better than the original? Ha-Do-Ken?

Link's Crossbow Training - This probably only sold what it did due to shelf space. I've barely seen this in stores. But it will sell like Wii Play long term. I almost bought it the other day when I saw that the thing only costed $20! This very fact will ensure that this ends up being a strong seller. It's an impulse buy. A cheesy little peripheral with a packed in game (short or not) for just $20??? This one will have track runner's legs. A buy for budgeting gameplayers. This one will definitely move units. It's just so damn cheap! You CAN'T pass it up. I seriously almost bought it realizing it was only $20!

Wii Play - I want to clear something up right now. Wii Play does NOT sell JUST because of the packed-in Wiimote. The actual GAME sells the package too. Anybody who played Billiards on here will see that. A 9 in one game set with simple pick up & play games with that whole Wii series feel is what is ALSO selling this package. It is NOT all about the controller, guys. Trust me. Is it a matter of the Wiimote selling the game or the game selling the Wiimote or both simultaneously? The whole "Wii series" appeals to people & I think people are doing themselves a disservice by saying Wii Play is a trifling title that moves only because of the controller. People really like that "Wii" feel seen in Wii Sports. It's a companion piece. Wii Fit adds on to that. Nintendo has made themselves a whole new franchise right here in the Wii series.

Super Mario Galaxy -  Japan has shocked me to my core on this one. But I think the more people see the co-op mode the more this will appeal to new people. It's a silly little addition but adds to gameplay with inexperienced players helping out. Little kids helping each other to beat the game. Girlfriends bored watching you play picking up the 2nd Wiimote & helping you out. Older people being initiated into this "core" title through the co-op mode. Galaxy will be just fine and the more people know about that co-op mode the better. I just wish Japan would get behind it more than they're doing. Still it's doing pretty well considering. Still in top 10 over there this week.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - I learned about the reality of what we saw Nintendo's "Big 3" months ago checking the historic archives of franchise sales. I always used to think Mario, Zelda, Metroid. And in reality this ain't quite the case. Those ARE possibly their most distinct directions in vision but when I saw Zelda & Metroid's historic Japanese sales I was shocked! They never have had quite the impact over there that Mario has there & worldwide. And Metroid's under Zelda (the great Super Metroid's sales will shock you!) so all that considered Corruption's sales didn't bother me. I think it suffered being compared to Halo too much too. MasterChief was probably even inspired into existence because of Samus Aran designwise. I wouldn't doubt against it. But Metroid & Halo are two totally different creatures. Metroid more slower paced and more exploratory than Halo. Metroid Prime 3 is matching up with Metroid Prime 1 so it will most likely match up to a million seller overtime. It's harder than most games and will not easily appeal to newcomers. Like Zelda: TW it was the game we were expecting. Super Smash Bros. is responsible for us grouping those 3 franchises as the "Big 3". They represent Nintendo's most diverse casts so we began to associate them with being the 3 Pillars of Nintendo when it wasn't absolutely true in the sales charts.

All will improve as Wii sales become more prominent. 

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

i think MP3 will become a million seller
Zelda TP wii+gc might become the 2nd best selling zelda of all-time
SMG should pass sunshine
SPM should pass TTYD
MP8 really suprised me,its about to outsell TP wii
RE4:wii suprised me there and i think it suprised everyone,i hope capcom bring a main series RE to wii
Wii play's 65%of sales are probably from the remote,but it still would of sold alot
red steel had huge hype,i hope the sequel wont disappoint
Zack and wiki definitely deserved more

Super Mario Galaxy, along with many other games, would be selling so much better if the Wii wasn't supply constrained...

Look at it like this. There are 6 billion people in this world, and we can divide them into three groups:

1- People who can't get a Wii or don't care about Super Mario Galaxy.
2- People who like SMG and have a Wii already.
3- People who want to play SMG but can't find a Wii to play the game due to supply constraints, or who are simply going to buy it later for some reason.

Group 3 must be huge, and that will cause the game to have huge legs.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Remember another Wii launch title that sold 1 million. How is it's sequel doing?

Libraries sell systems not individual games