By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will PS3 be able to match Xbox 360's first year?

@libellule

I think there is no way of telling whether Americans did buy the Xbox 360 w/out thinking of the PS3. The hype on the PS3 was worldwide.

The Xbox 360 was already competing with the PS3 back then because of it's hype.

Around the Network

@kber81

How can you take the factor of price and say that ok, without the price and bad publicity, the PS3 is doing ok???

The fact is, price and bad publicity were integral to the first year sales of the PS3 which contributed to its overall performance in sales.

i though they were almost exactly the same?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kcua_626 said:
@kber81

How can you take the factor of price and say that ok, without the price and bad publicity, the PS3 is doing ok???

Without a price and bad PR PS3 is doing much better. PS3 would be around 11 million mark right now if it would start on current conditions. I'm talking about whole year.

^^ you don't get the point, you can't take away the factor of the hight price and bad publicity and say that it is doing good without it. The high price and bad publicity were part of the sales.

By your logic, I can say then that: OK, without the PS3 hype and the Wii hype, Xbox 360 could have sold 10mil consoles in it's first year.

Around the Network

@ eugene )

no, so far it's better -

you forgot something:                   the 360 launched 2 weeks later into the year in 2005 ,than the PS3 in 2006 , so in that graph the 360 is already 2 weeks more into christmas sales ,while the PS3 still has the 3 super strong december weeks comming

if you go back 2 weeks in that graph (it's best to view it with number of weeks = 60 to do that)  you'll see the 360 at 6,251 million ,while the PS3 is at 6,731 million at the same point into this year

"""
@libellule

I think there is no way of telling whether Americans did buy the Xbox 360 w/out thinking of the PS3. The hype on the PS3 was worldwide.

The Xbox 360 was already competing with the PS3 back then because of it's hype.
"""

==> hype around the PS3 was strong until E32006 when the high price was announced and REAL in game footage of Motorstorm showed, and KZ2 hidden. the same year (06), games were delayed, exclusivty were lost, and european launch was delayed.
At this time, last year, the PS3 hype was really low.
At the same time, the first killed AP of this gen, Gears of war, was released on exclusivity on Xbox360 ...

Time to Work !

starcraft said:
Lets think about this for a moment. Why do we care which console is selling better at all? For one reason and one reason only....the console with the highest userbase is far more likely to get exclusive games.

Therefore, it does not matter if Sony didn't launch when they said they would in Europe, it does not matter if the PS3 sold well "for it's price" and it does not matter if Sony's console sold well "given a lack of system-sellers." At the end of the day all that matters is what number of consoles is sold, because that is what publishers will look at when they are looking at development costs and fielding requests from Sony and Microsoft for exclusive games.

If you really want to start saying things like, "bu-bu-but Sony is doing GREAT cause the PS3 is SO ex-ex-expensive," then we should also look at where Sony SHOULD be. 70% of the market last generation and now they are being beaten by the company that lost billions of dollars last time round......Sony SHOULD already have nailed the Xbox 360 to the wall.

Right!!!

Spot on!! 

They are facing the same destiny Xbox had last time round!!! Coming into market a year later than competition with such a high price tag is only going to hurt you!

I think it will just edge ahead due to Japan and Europe.

PS3s first year is finished btw. 11th Nov was Jp release right.