By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS Move will fail

M.U.G.E.N said:
Slimebeast said:
postofficebuddy said:

Do you really want me to take out the logic hammer like I did in the preorder thread? Microsoft has an innate disadvantage with Kinect in that they don't have Japanese support. Move will likely outsell it 10 to 1 in that region and based on space requirements they're in a similar boat in much of Europe where Move is being bundled essentially for free and hype for it is significantly higher.  

What's that supposed to mean?

That there are some cities around the world (excluding Japanese cities like Tokyo) where space requirements will be an issue...not sure which cities and areas he is referring to here tho...

I wasn't referring any one specific area of Europe I was speaking in general. Not to say that Europeans have small housing. I was speaking in terms relative to here in the states. My living room just about meets the space requirements for Kinect (6-7 feet) with about a foot to spare and I would consider it about average.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network

Natal will sell more on launch but I think when everything is said and done Move will sell more because it's games are clearly better, I mean from what I've seen kinect only has two games that work right and both are just full body tracking with no interaction with environment, anyways if we are talking quality alone Move will be far more successful if we are talking sales it's hard to say but long term Move will do better I believe or hope anyways because if it doesn't that means people are just plain stupid enough to buy crap thats well advertised year after year 

postofficebuddy said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Slimebeast said:
postofficebuddy said:

Do you really want me to take out the logic hammer like I did in the preorder thread? Microsoft has an innate disadvantage with Kinect in that they don't have Japanese support. Move will likely outsell it 10 to 1 in that region and based on space requirements they're in a similar boat in much of Europe where Move is being bundled essentially for free and hype for it is significantly higher.  

What's that supposed to mean?

That there are some cities around the world (excluding Japanese cities like Tokyo) where space requirements will be an issue...not sure which cities and areas he is referring to here tho...

I wasn't referring any one specific area of Europe I was speaking in general. Not to say that Europeans have small housing. I was speaking in terms relative to here in the states. My living room just about meets the space requirements for Kinect (6-7 feet) with about a foot to spare and I would consider it about average.

yeah that's what I was trying to say...I live on on campus housing now so I know many University students and such won't have much space to spare....in cities like NY and Tokyo, space is important as well...so yea I get what you were saying

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

DirtyP2002 said:

no time fellow babys. grandmas birthday is waiting. :D

are you getting her kenict?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

First off, Move is primarily not intended to combat Kinect at all. Move is a defensive measure against Nintendo. Move does have the advantage of servicing the existing userbase of its console far more than Kinect does, but the reason is its primarily positioned to give PS3 owners no good reason to buy a Wii (which it may or may not succeed at, since Nintendo's shown that their own motion control is often peripheral to creating killer apps), but the kind of games appearing there are to counter that, which is why we're seeing them push it in to more traditional experiences, or see EA create that exact clone experience of PGA Tour on Wii to PGA Tour here.

Kinect, however, is clearly built to reach out. It's Microsoft's attempt at under-cutting Nintendo in terms of disruption (okay, you've got the simple controller, we'll do one lower and cut it out entirely. Their main problem is if the experience is executed smoothly enough to actually disrupt). If either of them are bound to succeed, it'll be Kinect that moves consoles, but Move that has a higher attach rate among existing users, and it's Kinect that's actively meant to steal sales away from Nintendo, while Move is Sony's attempt at *preventing* Nintendo from stealing sales from them

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Severance said:
DirtyP2002 said:

no time fellow babys. grandmas birthday is waiting. :D

are you getting her kenict?

I don't think he wants her to "move" around much which she'll have to do if he gets her kinect....

lame joke....I know

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

CGI-Quality said:
Mr Khan said:

First off, Move is primarily not intended to combat Kinect at all. Move is a defensive measure against Nintendo. Move does have the advantage of servicing the existing userbase of its console far more than Kinect does, but the reason is its primarily positioned to give PS3 owners no good reason to buy a Wii (which it may or may not succeed at, since Nintendo's shown that their own motion control is often peripheral to creating killer apps), but the kind of games appearing there are to counter that, which is why we're seeing them push it in to more traditional experiences, or see EA create that exact clone experience of PGA Tour on Wii to PGA Tour here.

Kinect, however, is clearly built to reach out. It's Microsoft's attempt at under-cutting Nintendo in terms of disruption (okay, you've got the simple controller, we'll do one lower and cut it out entirely. Their main problem is if the experience is executed smoothly enough to actually disrupt). If either of them are bound to succeed, it'll be Kinect that moves consoles, but Move that has a higher attach rate among existing users, and it's Kinect that's actively meant to steal sales away from Nintendo, while Move is Sony's attempt at *preventing* Nintendo from stealing sales from them

Really agree with much of this.

Hmmm well, I do think Sony is also trying to reach out, not just "preventing"...preventing what exactly? Right now the PS3 and Wii don't share that much in demographics, it's not like the average Wii *buyer* (videogame noob 1.0) is torn between choices *so much* (right now). Sony with the PS Move wants these potential buyers to look at another appealing option, so they are in fact reaching out to a new demographic.

Killiana1a said:

Sony's hand was forced to make the Move. Once we started hearing all the brouhaha about Natal, which became Kinect, Sony had to show it was jumping into the controller-free gaming market.

Imagine the market as the public swimming pool:

Nintendo showed up first, learned  to swim first, and is swimming like Michael Phelps compared to all the others.

Microsoft said, "Ooooh! Wowzers! Mommy can I learn that?! Can I, can I, can I!?" Went out got the best trainers and is now attempting to learn how to plunge into that pool in a way better than Nintendo was when Nintendo first dived in.

Sony showed up last and thought, "What a bunch of losers, I would rather be at home hanging out with my emo hipster friends listening to obscure music from a Tarantino movie and playing games no one else plays." So Sony shows up with water wings and a paddle board, jumps in and swims with this whole half-bored, "when can I go home Mom?" look.

This is my take on the Sony Move.

Althought the original post seems to ignore all the casual titles Sony is coming out with, Sony sure hasn't been overly focused on promoting them or even Move.   They'd rather focus on 3D (which sells 3D tvs) than Move it seems but feels forced by Kinect to bring out their own motion device.   Or at least that's how it seems.    Which makes this analogy feel appropriate.   Sony is in the pool but would clearly rather be doing something else.

ArnoldRimmer said:
DirtyP2002 said:

First of all Move is not that big of an innovation. Sony decided to play it safe and copy the Wiimote. Sure it is more precise, but the overall experience is not that different. Check the picture in my sig. Copying the Wii is not a bad thing anyway. It clearly outsold its competitors, so why not do what the cool guy does.

Sony is doing a big mistake with the games for the move. They are making hardcore titles move compatible. Did anyone actually ask for this? When you played Killzone 2, did you say to yourself 'Damn, I would love to play this with a device similar to the Wiimote'?

Killzone 2 players are a very hardcore audience. They play the game with the regular controller anyway.

[...]

So saying Move is more a hardcore, so it will have more legs, sell more or whatever is actually not a good thing. Motion Controlls are very social and very casual, a Killzone 3 is not a game that works this way. Core player will prefer the controller (or keyboard / mouse) any day. Sony just failed to deliver the perfect software for the hardware. Nintendo and so far MS did.

First of all, it's kind of funny if the same people who claim that Move is just an advanced "copy of the Wiimote" reject every Kinect=EyeToy comparison. There is a lot of truth to both claims.

If you only compare the Move Controller and the Wii Controller (like in your signature), then yes, except for the glowing ball the device is indeed very similar to a Wiimotion Plus. But the controller is only half of the Move hardware. The other half is a RGB camera and a multi-array microphone - which makes that half very similar to the Kinect hardware.

As many websites have pointed out, PS Move combines the best features from the Wii Remote and Kinect, making it the most versatile of the three systems:

Wiimote plus sensor bar = Acceleration Sensor Buttons infrared light source Infrared Light tracking sensor speaker

Kinect = RGB camera microphones TOF distance sensor

Move = RGB camera microphones Acceleration Sensor Gyrometers, Magnetometer,   Buttons Glowing ball

You're trying to give the impression that Sony is trying to market PS Move as a "hardcore device", but that's simply wrong. There are lots of casual titles as well - the starter pack even comes bundled with one. Thing is: Unlike Kinect, PS Move CAN be used for hardcore games as well. Suggesting that nobody wants to play Killzone or Socom that way is nonsense. Using a gamepad for Shooters has never been a good solution, on the PC, nobody would even use a gamepad in a Shooter. People will love playing Shooters with PS Move.

Edited in bold, you forgot this one...    : )