By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will there ever be a NDS Player for Wii ?

Hi People, Some time ago my father asked me if it is possible to play NDS games on the Wii. He likes the games but the screen is too small for him. I told him at the moment it's not possible. Are there any rumours that something like a "NDS Player" will come for the Wii ? Maybe a card reader that can be connected via USB. The TV is divided and the wiimote is used for normal control and as stick. What did you hear / What do you think ?

Around the Network

You mean to play DS games on the wii right...i dont see why they couldnt get one for your pops--i mean they did it with the GBA/GC

whoa spaztastic double post

it may not be possible. As you don't have a touch screen for the Wii. the DS would still have to be the controller and at best the top screen would be presented on the Wii. but, I do think that would make many games worse.

@superchunk
but many games don't really need the stick.
why not use the classic controller ?

Around the Network

they might make one in the future,i mean cant the wii mote be used as the stylus

mesoteto said:
You mean to play DS games on the wii right...i dont see why they couldnt get one for your pops--i mean they did it with the GBA/GC

True.  Nintendo also had one for the SNES/GB called the Super Gameboy Player or something like that.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

some games like Zelda require specific DS only manuvers.

SPOILER:

[spoiler]at one point you have to actually close the DS to progress.[/spoiler]

i remember that nintendo said at one point that they had investigated the possibility of doing this, but they had ruled it out as it just wouldnt work. So... yeah... i wouldnt hope too much.

I see it being possible, but not feasible. Keep in mind that a lot of the DS games incorporate the mic and even opening and closing the lid of the DS as part of teh gameplay. The DS is doing too well as its own thing for Nintendo to want to mess around with some sort of Wii DS player.

In terms of pure scren size, it could be done. The standard resolution for the DS is 256x192 per screen, so that's 384 + 36 pixels inbetween the two screens, which leaves you 30 pixels above and below on a standard TV, then if you figure average 3:4 screenwidth to be 640, then you'd have 348 left over from the width of a DS screen. It would be possible to fit two DSs on a single screen.

Actually, thinking on this, if you mapped the buttons carefully, it could be done. Just have it so the D pad handles the ABXY buttons(also have the AB12 buttons act as a secondary input method), and the C and Z buttons on the Nunchuck handle the LR buttons, - and + on the Wiimote can handle the start and select.

Things like blowing into the mic could be replaced with shaking teh nunchuck, and closing teh DS lid could be replaced with pressing teh home button and then coming back.

By doing this, it would be possible to essentially use two Wiimote + nunchucks to play 2 DS games on the Wii at once. Which would actually be kinda cool.

It's never gonna happen though. Nintendo just ain't gonna put in something that would compete with the DS. Also, for things where you have voice input, you'd still need a microphone. Admittedly, boogie had one that plugged into USB, but it seems like too much trouble to properly support something like this.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her