By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGC staff, pls. help me understand this..

Chubear said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
There is a difference between Shipped and sold to consumers, companies like Sony say sold when they mean shipped to retailers

You obviously didn't even bother reading the posts did you? The figure 22.9 is not Sony's figures. It's the number of units sold to cunsumers (by the end of sep 2006) from retailers and not shipped numbers from Sony to retailers.

Im sorry but your full of crap.  The psp was nowhere even CLOSE to that number back then.  If you really actually believe that then I feel sorry for you. 

Around the Network
Chubear said:
At the end of sep 2006, the PSP was reported to have sold roughly 22.9 Million units to the general public from retail stores. So how come on the main page it shows the PSP as selling less than 21 million units to date? Are the updates for the PSP a little left behind or what?

Where are the sources of your information?  I went back through Sony's financial reports and totaled shipments (not sales to end users) up to Sept 2006.  (That's Sony's 2nd Q 2006.)

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/05q4_eleki.pdf 

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/06q3_eleki.pdf

Total shipments by that point were 22.94M worldwide.  Are you saying that every last PSP shipped by the end of Sept. 2006 was sold?  If that was the case, then why were only 1.76M shipped between Oct. - Dec. 2006?

The fact of the matter is that there were and still are plenty of PSPs on store shelves and in warehouses.  I believe this site's numbers are fairly accurate on sales to consumers and we'll know a lot more when Sony releases their annual report on May 16.  (Yes, later than usual due to the U.S. Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

I heard 25 million sold worldwide. I think I heard that from gamespot but I dunno. It gets kind of confusing after a while.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Steve 3.2 said:
Chubear said:
At the end of sep 2006, the PSP was reported to have sold roughly 22.9 Million units to the general public from retail stores. So how come on the main page it shows the PSP as selling less than 21 million units to date? Are the updates for the PSP a little left behind or what?

Where are the sources of your information? I went back through Sony's financial reports and totaled shipments (not sales to end users) up to Sept 2006. (That's Sony's 2nd Q 2006.)

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/05q4_eleki.pdf

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/06q3_eleki.pdf

Total shipments by that point were 22.94M worldwide. Are you saying that every last PSP shipped by the end of Sept. 2006 was sold? If that was the case, then why were only 1.76M shipped between Oct. - Dec. 2006?

The fact of the matter is that there were and still are plenty of PSPs on store shelves and in warehouses. I believe this site's numbers are fairly accurate on sales to consumers and we'll know a lot more when Sony releases their annual report on May 16. (Yes, later than usual due to the U.S. Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002.)

Whoa nelly!!!

No one is saying the psp actaully sold that many in Sep 2006. What they are saying is according to this websites worldwide hardware sales page it states that the PSP had sold 22m by Sep 2006 and that this is obviously an incorrect figure. They were just bringing this to the vgcharts admin's attention.

Jesus ppl, read more than one post.

state your source please. often times, the media eqautes "shipped" and "sold", since that's what matters to the manufacturer. but on this site it's the actual sales to consumer that's pertinent, and is what most people (on this site, anyway) mean by "sold". in fact, that's the only number worth a dedicated website to estimate since "shipped" number for, say ps3, is an actual number released by sony, and is not an estimate.  there's no discussion for something like unlike you think sony is lying.

i'm guessing more likely than not you read a journalist or reporter who was just using the two terms interexchangeably, at best; it's likely they didn't bother digging a little deeper.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

Your question was already answered.  The page on this site which you are apparently referencing says "Worldwide Hardware Shipments", it's not sales.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
There is a difference between Shipped and sold to consumers, companies like Sony say sold when they mean shipped to retailers

Actually, it means sold to retailers. There really isn't a difference at all. If sony is still selling units to retailers then there's still demand, if Sony isn't selling units then there's less demand. Furthermore, Sony saying they, "sold" the psp is spot on, they sold to retailers and they got money for it.

Sometimes it hurts to go number 2.

Hmm, did Washimul sign up for another account again?