By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady GaGa to release new album with genre defining music

leo-j said:
blaydcor said:
leo-j said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Lady Gaga is one of the worst musicians I've ever heard. The thought of having to listen to any of "her" songs disgusts me and I'm appauled just looking at "her".

Try a pop star who doesn't rely on a stupid persona and forced controversy. 

Hands down more talented, diverse, and all around more enjoyable to listen to--plus Robyn's been around for about a decade. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSe9Yy3W8yQ

Your welcome for introducing you to your new favorite artist. Gee, whoddathunk, not being #1 on the US Billboard Charts doesn't mean you don't have awesome music 

Lmao ok..  hands down more talented because? She's standing there a pop singer, and not popular? Ofcourse..

Fixed the videos in the other one, btw.

No, better because I prefer her music. And, unlike you, my tastes aren't based on blind idolatry. How closeminded to you haveto be to not even CONSIDER that you'll enjoy a recommendation offered counter to Lady Gaga?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

lmao you are calling me close minded and you are the one attacking lady gaga.. Im not even attacking robyn.. she has really nice hits like With Every Heartbeat, Be Mine, Dream On, and what was that robotboy? Wait I've heard of her? ...

What?? Her label dropped her in the U.S because she didn't want to be a manufactured britney spears like aguilera? ...

She's my favorite artist though of course, because you forced her on me and not only that, but you called me a blind man, so she must be my new favorite artist!

mM
blaydcor said:

Fame Monster is an EP, not an album. And that stands for Extended Play, not "Episode", Leo  (i thought you knew music really well?)

Gaga is pretty good, very catchy, mostly generic. Middle of the line as far as talent goes. Great performer. All in all, nothing special.

No correlation between sales and quality by the way.

Later.

"Fame Monster" is too long for an EP. If I remember correctly, If a record is less than 25 min long, then it's an EP. "Fame Monster" is 33-35min.

Fab_GS said:
blaydcor said:

Fame Monster is an EP, not an album. And that stands for Extended Play, not "Episode", Leo  (i thought you knew music really well?)

Gaga is pretty good, very catchy, mostly generic. Middle of the line as far as talent goes. Great performer. All in all, nothing special.

No correlation between sales and quality by the way.

Later.

"Fame Monster" is too long for an EP. If I remember correctly, If a record is less than 25 min long, then it's an EP. "Fame Monster" is 33-35min.

Well on Billboard in the charts it's written The Fame Monster (EP)

Kamal said:
Carl2291 said:
Chairman-Mao said:

Lady Gaga is one of the worst musicians I've ever heard. The thought of having to listen to any of "her" songs disgusts me and I'm appauled just looking at "her".

What kind of music are you into? And what kind of women do you like?

I'll admit to her being a decent singer, and having a predominant effect onto the music industry today.

But..... she is no way in hell attractive.

Depends really. Sometimes she looks nice, othertimes she looks butt ugly.

Nice -

Oh god no -

You would hardly think it's the same person

Around the Network
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
perpride said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:

Back to reality....Lady Gaga is nothing more than a gimmick. Period. She wont define any generation and she is definately not on the same level as Kurt Cabain, John Lennon, Jim Morrison, or Jimmy Hendrix (people who actually defined Generations because there music meant something and wasnt just a catchy beat with a digitally enhanced voice) 

Wrong. Lady Gaga does define a generation. She defines the digital generation. She is the highest selling digital artist of all time. She is the most liked person on Facebook. She is the most followed person on twitter. And she is the most watched person on Youtube.

Sorry, that's pretty damning evidence.

yeh but every single thing you just said will change within the next 3 years....

@OkeyDokey - and if all of that was around when Brittany spears was at the height of her popularity it would have been the same thing. Look were she is now though. Lady Gaga will have about the same lasting effect and will be forgotten several years from now.

@perpride - Well put!

Um, I fucking HATE Britney Spears but she is a pop culture icon and will never be forgotten. Where is Britney now? Grossing 100 million on tour and still selling millions of albums and getting number 1 hits after the most publicized breakdown in media history.

That comparison does nothing for your argument. Seriously, do your research.

Some observations about the comments that I consider to be important: Judging Lady Gaga for being "ugly" is simply despicable. Even if you don't think she's pretty, that has nothing to do with what you're criticizing - the music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ke2JG5v5Y0&feature=related Plus I'd tap that... well most pictures at least.

Second of all, she is talented, that's a fact you simply can't deny. She can play piano (probably other instruments as well) and has great vocals. If you think she's overrated, then say that, cause you'd never even think about insulting her if she was an unknown Pop artist (it's a bit contradictory, but you get the point)

Third, I think some people are putting Pop on a pedastal - I've always wanted to say this :D. Seriously tho, you're making Robyn sound like she's a nobody. There are many other genres and many bands that I consider to have much more talent, who put their hearts and souls in their music, that don't get a fraction of those million views. But I guess it's good 'cause it keeps the musicians, humble and always try harder to get better, instead of letting the name sell albums.

Carl2291 said:
Chairman-Mao said:

I was completely exaggerating my dislike of her. I don't like her music but I don't "hate" her.

But to answer your question I just listen to anything rock or alternative. Anything from classics like Boston, Rolling Stones, etc. to newer stuff like Rise Against and Breaking Benjamin.

Carl2291 said:
Kamal said:
Carl2291 said:
Chairman-Mao said:

I'll admit to her being a decent singer, and having a predominant effect onto the music industry today.

But..... she is no way in hell attractive.

Depends really. Sometimes she looks nice, othertimes she looks butt ugly.

Nice -

Oh god no -

You would hardly think it's the same person

Lady Gaga can look pretty, she's one of those girls that benefits greatly from make up, without it and she's average at best. I think this is why she wears a lot of masks. That said I was surprised how bare faced she was in Alejandro

axumblade said:

Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Kesha, and Adam Lambert to name a few that seem to be going for more of an 'out there' look as of late. Also a lot of the newer artists who I really don't care to bother learning the names of...much less listen to. 

To be honest, I prefer the Pixies to most alternative bands from their era but most people don't know who The Pixies are, whereas, if you like or hate Lady Gaga, you actually know her name.

Influential and big aren't really the same thing though. Velvet Underground is probably the classic case in point. They were barely known outside of music circles for a long time but they were hugely influential. I think it was once said that only 10,000 people bought their records, but every one of them started a band.