By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Win 7 Slate vs. Ipad...video face off!

heruamon said:
NiKKoM said:

It's gonna be a tough market for tablets.. Apple has taken the lead and every day the competitors aren't releasing theirs it gonna be hard.. HP is coming with one.. RIM is coming with a blackberry tablet.. but will they get the support Apple has with their apps? I had this meeting with a big magazine publisher pushing us to release Appstore versions of their magazine..

Apple has a sizable jumpstart, but look at the Iphone slippage to Android, and yes, it's probably due somewhat to only being on AT&T, but never the less, I don't think the Ipads position is as strong as the Iphone's was at anytime.  The demand for Win7 is very strong, and the Win7 Slate is soemthign that will be a viable business expense.  I think another huge advantage is mobile gaming...developers won't even have to worry about converting anything, and they will be able to easily port a product from WinMo7 to Xbox to Win 7 Slate.

Neh... like the Android the problem lies in the hardware requirements... no one is setting a default system requirements so everyone is building different devices with different specs.. so as a developer you would have to talor different versions for every device.. and the lack of paying downloaders is really hurting the Android market.. people who buy an iphone and ipad choose for the appstore and with it paying for apps.. that's why there isn't much support for android cause it's not a viable business.. so yes the iphone may slip in sales against Android but not in the business aspect.. Most Android users don't buy a phone for android and it's marketplace.. 
http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/android-market-payouts-total-2-of-app-stores-1b/

I believe that a lot of people are looking at tablets the wrong way.. like the one poster who is glad he can use his usb mouse and keyboard.. thats not the point of a tablet.. it's not supposed to replace and replicate your PC.. it's a different user interface to acces that stuff.. it's a companion device..  putting a full blown OS on it is risky cause users will compared it to a full blown PC..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

USB ports!!! SD expansion?? Win 7 driver compatibility? Sold!!

My gf is getting this for christmas as a present. But Ima get a USB HD video capture card and use it as a portable screen for my 360/wii :)

NiKKoM said:

It's gonna be a tough market for tablets.. Apple has taken the lead and every day the competitors aren't releasing theirs it gonna be hard.. HP is coming with one.. RIM is coming with a blackberry tablet.. but will they get the support Apple has with their apps? I had this meeting with a big magazine publisher pushing us to release Appstore versions of their magazine..

HP are running Win 7. From all accounts I can read right now, any App that works on Win 7 desk top PC will run on it.

There are far more Apps for Windows Desk Top computers out there.

NiKKoM said:
heruamon said:
NiKKoM said:

Apple has a sizable jumpstart, but look at the Iphone slippage to Android, and yes, it's probably due somewhat to only being on AT&T, but never the less, I don't think the Ipads position is as strong as the Iphone's was at anytime.  The demand for Win7 is very strong, and the Win7 Slate is soemthign that will be a viable business expense.  I think another huge advantage is mobile gaming...developers won't even have to worry about converting anything, and they will be able to easily port a product from WinMo7 to Xbox to Win 7 Slate.

Neh... like the Android the problem lies in the hardware requirements... no one is setting a default system requirements so everyone is building different devices with different specs.. so as a developer you would have to talor different versions for every device.. and the lack of paying downloaders is really hurting the Android market.. people who buy an iphone and ipad choose for the appstore and with it paying for apps.. that's why there isn't much support for android cause it's not a viable business.. so yes the iphone may slip in sales against Android but not in the business aspect.. Most Android users don't buy a phone for android and it's marketplace.. 
http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/android-market-payouts-total-2-of-app-stores-1b/

I believe that a lot of people are looking at tablets the wrong way.. like the one poster who is glad he can use his usb mouse and keyboard.. thats not the point of a tablet.. it's not supposed to replace and replicate your PC.. it's a different user interface to acces that stuff.. it's a companion device..  putting a full blown OS on it is risky cause users will compared it to a full blown PC..

Not really. Again reading user comments for IPAD is quite a shock. 

Never before have I read so many user reviewers of people that are unhappy at what there product cant do.

A tablet is essentially a slimmed down laptop. To make it easier for instance access, and to be able to carry around alot easier. We have phones that do things like appointments, photographs, music etc. 

The Tablet IMO will be the replacement for the aging laptop. It's slicker, easier and fully touchscreen. Businesses will need something like Slate. The lack of functionality of IPAD seems to be hurtinf it's image. It's also incredibly slow from what Ive read.

So the iPad auto fits websites, has a cleaner keyboard, has the most important part of a tablet an intuitive touch interface that isnt choppy.

The other one has USB and a 5 second head start starting a youtube video?

Comparison videos only work when you can easily distinguish which one youre supposed to be seeing as better. This doesnt do that.

for a tablet Easier typing/intuitive touch screen > 5 second faster youtube vids and USB

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:

So the iPad auto fits websites, has a cleaner keyboard, has the most important part of a tablet an intuitive touch interface that isnt choppy.

Comparison videos only work when you can easily distinguish which one youre supposed to be seeing as better. This doesnt do that.

for a tablet Easier typing/intuitive touch screen > 5 second faster youtube vids and USB

Quite a close minded statement.

I'm not going to counter argue your point as the PC tablet isn't out but its showing much more potential than the ipad has displayed so far.

We will see if this potential will materialize...

disolitude said:
steverhcp02 said:

I'm not going to counter argue your point as the PC tablet isn't out but its showing much more potential than the ipad has displayed so far.

Why would i comment on "potential" im so sick of that. If a company/website is going to show off a product then thats what im commenting on. The zoom is clunky, the scroll is awkward, the keyboard is absurdly small.

Just because im not crossing my fingers hoping this knocks off apple im not closed minded.

A tablet PC of this or probably the next 3 generations will not replace laptops. The touch screen is the most important part, the zooming and text size, the refitting of web pages......the iPad in this video does all of those things better thus i commented on such things

steverhcp02 said:
disolitude said:
steverhcp02 said:

Why would i comment on "potential" im so sick of that. If a company/website is going to show off a product then thats what im commenting on. The zoom is clunky, the scroll is awkward, the keyboard is absurdly small.

Just because im not crossing my fingers hoping this knocks off apple im not closed minded.

A tablet PC of this or probably the next 3 generations will not replace laptops. The touch screen is the most important part, the zooming and text size, the refitting of web pages......the iPad in this video does all of those things better thus i commented on such things

Geez man, you realy want to argue about this eh...

1. Keyboard issue: USB ports = any keyboard you want.  I bet they will sell neat little docks which let you plug the tablet at a desk and use your own mouse and keybaord. Try to write an essay paper with an Ipad VS that setup.

2. Scaling of the sites - Ipad doesn't scale sites better, but it looks like that because it compensates for lack of flash. PC tablet supports flash fully and you will see the whole page as you would on a normal PC. Notice how youtube videos on Ipad don't even have comments listed...

3. PC tablet doesn't apear sluggish at all - In that video its faster for browsing, and email navigation. the only thing that APPEARS sluggish is zoom feature. However this is how zoom works on windows 7. Hold CTRL scroll your mouse to see it on your desktop. They have plenty of time to make a better zoom function.

It seems on par cosmetically with the Ipads interface which is impressive considering Apple puts 90% of their resources in how an interface looks VS how functional it is.

And then we get to...

USB ports - since its windows 7, USB ports should have the same compatibility as the desktop. This is huge.

Wanna play an SNES emulator on your tablet PC? Plug in a 360 pad and run it. Wanna watch TV on your tablet? Plug in a capture card and the cable box... Wanna sync your Ipod with Itunes on the road? Plug it in...

I bet you 100 bucks Apple releases Ipad 2.0 next year with USB ports and camera. And cahnrges you 899 for the 32 gig version...

And finaly SD card - expanding the memory is always welcome. Its nice not to have to pay the 64 GB version price and still have 64 GBs of memory.

disolitude said:
steverhcp02 said:

Geez man, you realy want to argue about this eh...

1. Keyboard issue: USB ports = any keyboard you want.  I bet they will sell neat little docks which let you plug the tablet at a desk and use your own mouse and keybaord. Try to write an essay paper with an Ipad VS that setup.

2. Scaling of the sites - Ipad doesn't scale sites better, but it looks like that because it compensates for lack of flash. PC tablet supports flash fully and you will see the whole page as you would on a normal PC. Notice how youtube videos on Ipad don't even have comments listed...

3. PC tablet doesn't apear sluggish at all - In that video its faster for browsing, and email navigation. the only thing that APPEARS sluggish is zoom feature. However this is how zoom works on windows 7. Hold CTRL scroll your mouse to see it on your desktop. They have plenty of time to make a better zoom function.

It seems on par cosmetically with the Ipads interface which is impressive considering Apple puts 90% of their resources in how an interface looks VS how functional it is.

And then we get to...

USB ports - since its windows 7, USB ports should have the same compatibility as the desktop. This is huge.

Wanna play an SNES emulator on your tablet PC? Plug in a 360 pad and run it. Wanna watch TV on your tablet? Plug in a capture card and the cable box... Wanna sync your Ipod with Itunes on the road? Plug it in...

I bet you 100 bucks Apple releases Ipad 2.0 next year with USB ports and camera. And cahnrges you 899 for the 32 gig version...

And finaly SD card - expanding the memory is always welcome. Its nice not to have to pay the 64 GB version price and still have 64 GBs of memory.

I dont want to argue, im just saying people can have different opinions than you. Its quite okay.

This is like when people argued WinMo is so much better than the iPhone because the phones had video calling, bigger megapixel camera, replacable batteries, upgradable memory different ports for video etc. Yet in the end it didnt matter because people just didnt give a shit because the iPhone had a batter interface, easier to use and the App store. Its all about functionality. 

For your lists a USB port is crucial, for the real world tablet market it surely isnt. 

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/06/apples_iphone_market_share_three_times_greater_than_android_in_us.html

Apple offering through a single carrier, essentially a single phone (just featurerich/less versions) stil grew marketshare....without the luxery of multiple carriers and its OS spread across multiple devices.

Epeen lists are fine and dandy but certain markets thrive on simplicity and functionality, not Epeen lists, tablet/smartphones are among them.

Looks fantastic. I only saw two things inferior to the iPad, cramped keyboard (probably customizable) and iPad's interface is smoother. However, the Win7 device had tons of other better features that for about the same price make it tremendously better. Its an actual real OS, not a large phone!