By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Win 7 Slate vs. Ipad...video face off!

Looks awesome ! and has USB ports wich is great addition... i think ipad doesnt has those.

Around the Network

For some people, if M$ discover the cure for cancer for 85% of cases, they would still try to "spin" it to how M$ spent too much money doing so, and how it wasn't 100% effective.  The fact is that if you are a user of Windows, and given the level of success that Win 7 has received, there are ALOT of us, then this Tablet is a solid option for use.  Some business users might want to consider the Blackberry offering, as we get details, but we are getting more choices, since I didn't care at all for the first one.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Reach said:

Looks awesome ! and has USB ports wich is great addition... i think ipad doesnt has those.

In a roundabout and expensive way, you can expand the Ipad with the docking station, then plugging stuff into, if I remembered correctly.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

heruamon said:
Reach said:

In a roundabout and expensive way, you can expand the Ipad with the docking station, then plugging stuff into, if I remembered correctly.

Yeah, the dock connector is a way to combine several I/O interfaces into one (USB, audio, video, Firewire in the past). This makes a lot of sense with a handheld device, where surface area on the device is limited and it makes it simple for the user to connect the device to computers, stereos, TVs, etc.

The iPad has way more surface area than an iPod, so the advantage of having a single connector is diminished. You can use Apple's camera connection kit to plug in SD cards and USB devices, but that's extra money to spend and kludgy adapters you have to fiddle with instead of just plugging into a port. It's not hard to imagine Apple adding some additional ports to try to keep the simplicity of the dock connector (and the ecosystem that's sprung up around it) while offering more flexibility without requiring the user to carry around more widgets.

Also, the devices you plug in need to be supported by the iPad, and I'm sure WIn7 will support more devices. As far as I know, you can only connect USB mics, keyboards and storage devices to an iPad.

I'll also mention that the iPad supports bluetooth keyboards for those of you who really can't imagine using a tablet without hard keys.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

heruamon said:

For some people, if M$ discover the cure for cancer for 85% of cases, they would still try to "spin" it to how M$ spent too much money doing so, and how it wasn't 100% effective.  The fact is that if you are a user of Windows, and given the level of success that Win 7 has received, there are ALOT of us, then this Tablet is a solid option for use.  Some business users might want to consider the Blackberry offering, as we get details, but we are getting more choices, since I didn't care at all for the first one.

they have the money let they do whatever they want with it... plus Competition is good. Xbox gave Nintendo and Sony Competition. Zune gave Apple Competition. Linux gave MS Competition and so on... its allways a good thing...

Around the Network

Windows7 Tablet does not require you to use iTunes. I can share my music on the go, movies, I can also use it to transfer data like you can on every non Apple devices.

And yes, tablets will replace laptops.

I jsut got my new 14" inch Toshiba I5 power Laptop, but when this thing launches, I'm going to have two mobile devices, and really, my Laptop is replacing my desktop for now...so my Slate will replace my Laptop...lol.