By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time is Awesome.

I just finished this last week, and I'd say it's the best Ratchet & Clank game yet, and it's one of my favorite ps3 games.  It's a real step up from Tools of Destruction.

Between an interesting story involving time control and the history of the Lombaxes, fun new characters like Sigmund the Junior Caretaker, and new gameplay elements that involve the altering of time, A Crack in Time is Ratchet and Clank's most well-crafted and excellently paced adventure yet.

The first thing you'll notice while playing the game is that the graphics are really good, and arguably the best to be had on ps3 at the time of the game's release.  The in-game graphics are already very nice, but the FMVs feature improved  AA and lighting quality that provides an almost Pixar-like presentation during cutscenes, though sometimes the visuals come closer to claymation

This excellent presentation is best shown off through the host of new environments found in the game, most notably the Great Clock.

The Great Clock is the great time keeper of the universe, controlling the flow of time across all systems and galaxies.  It is through the Great Clock that Clank gains the ability to alter and even somewhat control time, leading to the coolest puzzles yet seen in the series. 

Aside from some obvious tricks like being able to slow down objects, Clank is now able to create recordings of himself within certain areas, and at times he must use multiple recordings in parallel to activate various switches and interact with different objects in order to continue on to the next room.  They can be quite the brain teasers, and even when you figure out exactly what you have to do to advance, it can be fun replaying puzzles in an attempt to decrease the time and number of recordings it takes to reach the end.

These new puzzles are mixed with a few other new gameplay elements (and many older yet trusted elements) to create a very well-paced overall package, one that rarely feels repetitive or stale.  In terms of gameplay, A Crack in Time is the most comprehensive and fun Ratchet & Clank title yet. 

I'd highly recommend this title to anybody who likes platformers or third person action games.

And since I'm here, I'd also like to take this time to mention the Quest for Booty, my favorite PSN title. 

The Pirate theme is really a cut abover Insomniac's other work, between the music, dialogue, and art, and taking into account the game's new gameplay tricks (walking up walls all SMG-style, plus using your new wrench to move platforms around), it's overall a fun though very short romp with Ratchet on his quest to find Clank.  The cast of Quest for Booty return to host Pirate Radio in A Crack in Time, so be sure to check out the metal-themed station when you play that one as well.  And the ast is great.  Stinky Pete is hilarious.

---

While Tools of Destruction felt like a fairly typical Ratchet & Clank game, they've managed to freshen up both the franchise's aesethetic and gameplay through Quest for Booty and A Crack in Time.  I really hope they come up with another cool theme for the next R&C title, like pirates or time, while continuing to provide a great mix of old and new gameplay elements in whatever they decide to work with.  I'd gladly take another title if it's as good as A Crack in Time, and word is there's already another Ratchet title on the way!

Around the Network

My favorite game this gen.  Should have sold 3 times more than it did.

while i didn't read you post,...this game was damn close to perfection for the R&C series.  i'm kind of sad to hear the rumor they are making more...i feel like this was the perfect game to lead into an extended break for the series.

Tools is actually the worst R&C game, it had the graphics but the gameplay was very shooter based, this however is their best game.

tools isn't the typical R&C it was like Resistance meets R&C

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

How's the space exploration? Is it open? AND diverswe

mM
Around the Network
kitler53 said:

while i didn't read you post,...this game was damn close to perfection for the R&C series.  i'm kind of sad to hear the rumor they are making more...i feel like this was the perfect game to lead into an extended break for the series.

That's a good way to describe.  That being said, since they seemed to have gotten in an excellent groove with A Crack in Time, i say strike while the iron is hot!

So long as they can keep mixing up the setting and background with themes like pirates and time, I think they have room to keep the series going.

But it's kinda hard to top time, gameplay-wise

i've yet to play this game...i think i'll buy it sometime this month...i'll do it if Insomniac don't announce another R&C game at GamesCom.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Severance said:

Tools is actually the worst R&C game, it had the graphics but the gameplay was very shooter based, this however is their best game.

It's ironic that Tools has an 89 on MC while CiT has an 86.

I think like many franchises, the games have started to be reviewed based on expectations rather than actual quality.  So long as it fulfills each reviewer's list of what they expect in a R&C game with a few noticeable improvements, it'll score in the upper 8s.  ToD gets the bonus of being the first title on the ps3, so it's score is partly inflated by graphics.  while CiT is simply judged as "another Ratchet", and thus it recieves average Ratchet scores, even though it's hardly an average Ratchet title.

And I'd disagree that Tools is more shooter oriented than other Ratchets.  I mean, Deadlocked was like all shooter.  It was somewhat more shooter-ish than a Crack in Time, I'll agree, given they threw more aerial enemies your way, requiring you to use guns more often than the wrench.

leo-j said:

How's the space exploration? Is it open? AND diverswe

They've made it free roam.  You can travel between systems at will, and in each system you can visit any of the major or minor planets at any time.  They've also provided plenty of opportunities for space battles in each system.

Of course, you still have to unlock new systems before you can access them.

makingmusic476 said:
Severance said:

It's ironic that Tools has an 89 on MC while CiT has an 86.

I think like many franchises, the games have started to be reviewed based on expectations rather than actual quality.  So long as it fulfills each reviewer's list of what they expect in a R&C game with a few noticeable improvements, it'll score in the upper 8s.  ToD gets the bonus of being the first title on the ps3, so it's score is partly inflated by graphics.  while CiT is simply judged as "another Ratchet", and thus it recieves average Ratchet scores, even though it's hardly an average Ratchet title.

And I'd disagree that Tools is more shooter oriented than other Ratchets.  I mean, Deadlocked was like all shooter.  It was somewhat more shooter-ish than a Crack in Time, I'll agree, given they threw more aerial enemies your way, requiring you to use guns more often than the wrench.

Deadlocked is the second worst, it IS a shooter , but Tools is like F$@$ it we'll just ignore the platforming and focus on EPIC GRAPHICS AND EXPLOSIONS!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.