By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo franchises work and/or sell better in 3D than 2D?

I was thinking that with Nintendo's recent 2D revival including New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the soon to be released Metroid: Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns, that many people seem to prefer Nintendo's franchises in 2D than 3D. The only franchise that had its roots in 2D, but people seem to prefer in 3D seems to be Zelda. I don't hear to much about people hoping that the Zelda franchise will go back to 2D. Which of Nintendo's franchises do you prefer to be in 2D than 3D or vice versa? Is there any franchise that has yet to get the back to 2D treatment that you would like to?

As far as sales Mario seems to obviously do better in 2D than 3D, and we'll find out soon enough how the other games do in 2D. So do you think all Nintendo franchises would perform better in 2D than 3D, if you only think some franchises would do better, which ones and why?

Around the Network

Actually I'd love another 2D Zelda on a home console.

I'd love to see what Nintendo could do with another 2-d zelda. On the other hand I'd feel i'd be missing out on a 3-d zelda.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Zelda became a different game when it went to 3d. I miss the classic Zelda games because they moved at such a fast pace. It didn't take an hour of text bubbles to start playing the game. I feel a return to an arcade-style Zelda would be an immense seller, but I don't think it would HAVE to be in 2d to achieve success.

Metroid was better in 3d than it was in 2d. I owned an NES and I didn't really care for Metroid until the Prime series came. It worked better as a first person shooter.

Mario Kart will always be better in 3d. That's where it started, after all.

I thought this was going to be about what franchises would work better in 3D as in 3DS type 3D.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
SmoothCriminal said:

Actually I'd love another 2D Zelda on a home console.

This. Heck, I'd be happy with a 2.5D Zelda, ala LttP.

Come to think of it, I prefer most of Nintendo's titles in 2D. Mario is one of the few I think went to 3D well. I think that Zelda became too easy and seemingly empty, Metroid lost the feeling of the exploration and the general feel of the game in Prime, and if Nintendo tried to do something like Fire Emblem in 3D, I think I'd want to hurt someone...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

A 2d cel-shaded Zelda on the 3DS would be awesome.  It's got the top down perspective, but you have the depth to see different heights.

Kid Icarus. People have been more excited and anticipated for this game in 3d than a 2d sequel.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

I've always disliked the whole 2D vs. 3D debate. I find I enjoy 2D games as much as 3D games, but because I entered gaming around the N64 era I didn't get a chance to develop an intense loyalty to 2D gaming so I've always based my views off of each games own merits. The problem I see with the transition from 2D gaming to 3D is that people come in with predefined notions of what the game should be like and dislike it when the new game play experience doesn't meet their expectations. However, I bet if a game like Metroid prime was released under a completely different franchise name many who say the game ruined Metroid would absolutely love it and call it a brilliant new Nintendo franchise.