By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Kotaku SABOTAGING GT5 Hype?! (Several Articles Included)!!

Is Kotaku SABOTAGING GT5 Hype?! (Several Articles Included)!!

Yes totally! 51 54.84%

LOL no, they just suck! 19 20.43%

Dogs > Kotaku > Cats 23 24.73%

Total:93
jneul said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Doctored Video IS Kotaku Sabotaging GT5′s Hype, According To Their Past Stories

Posted by darkpower On August - 10 - 2010

And yes, I did mean to put the word “is” in the title in all caps, to stress it.

By now you know about the GT5 load time video that Kotaku ran with without checking the source or anything else (again) that SMG Gamers exposed perfectly. However, this is one of three stories that Kotaku has ran within the week about GT5, and none are stories that put the game in any good light. It does seem like Kotaku is doing something to sabotage the game’s cred. Even their attitude towards learning that the video was doctored shows some sight that they didn’t want to believe it. And this is after Brian Credente called the majority of their Sony coverage “positive”.

The other two stories (which all one needs to do to find them is look on the sidebar of the page of the load time video story on Kotaku’s site):

Only the latter had any positive comments in the story about it from the author (“The studio probably could work on GT5 forever, perfecting and polishing. At this year’s E3 gaming expo, the designer said that the game might have “too much” detail. GT fans wouldn’t have it any other way.”), and even THAT could be taken as a negative, depending on how you read it.

No one is saying that Kotaku CAN’T be a checks and balances to the game industry (after all, they swamped us with the Red Ring of Death stories when we first heard about the 360′s epidemic), and no one’s saying that Kotaku should just ignore something that Sony is legitimately doing wrong. But take into account their trashing of Hideo Kojima in the weeks prior to the release of Metal Gear Solid 4. And lest we forget about the Home debacle that we’ve heard so much about, and we hope no one ever forgets that Kotaku did. People keep bringing it up for a reason.

We also bring up, for a reason, the story that I did back in September of 09, when Credente, when pushed by me to answer a question (I stand by and will defend the nature as to how I got those answers, by the way; I pushed Credente for a reason) that the majority of their PS3 Slim articles were “positive”, when I asked about the nature of their coverage about the PS3 as a whole.

And then we get these three stories from Kotaku, one by someone besides Ashcraft (thought this whole scheme was by just the usual suspect at Kotaku, did you?), the doctored video story having the words, “Update: Some readers have pointed out that this video may be slowed to give the appearance of longer load times. Make of it what you will!” Didn’t seem as though Kotaku didn’t want it to be fake.

I call on Credente to answer to this story, and he knows how to get in touch with me, because we all deserve an explanation as to why this had to be…AGAIN!

http://www.gamenewser.net/?p=122

So is this just inaccurate journalism or is there something fishy going on!

BEING THERE TO EXPERIENCE LOADING TIMES MYSELF I CAN TELL YOU GT5 DOES NOT TAKE AS LONG AS KOTAKU CLAIMS IT TAKES, IT STILL TAKES A WHILE, BUT NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT KOTAKU ARE PURPOSEFULLY TRYING TO MAKE GT5 LOOK BAD....

its like apple pr.... i mean engadget.com, some people and sites are on payroll. 

Around the Network

Finally watched the video and I must say it's pretty obvious it has been altered. Unless you are used to seeing people move in slow-motion...

richardhutnik said:

Let explain how the media works when covering things that aren't that serious or important, like sports or videogames.  The media lives and dies by being attention whores.  They need you to talk about them and rant about them and discuss them, to get them to visit their website, so their advertising gets watched.  In sports, you had the LeBron James show for several weeks, followed up with him doing a one hour special where he made an announcement where he would go.  ESPN obscenely milked this to a very large degree, making a ton of false predictions on where LeBron would go.  They got everyone all upset, and not just them doing it but Yahoo sports and others. And now the media is trying to do the same with Isiah Thomas scheming to take over the GM spot with the Knicks.  They will also end up creating a false rumored report of something happening, and report that, then report a denial of it being true, creating two news items where there weren't any.

How does this fit with Gran Turismo 5?  Well, easy.  What Kotaku does is post things that get people worried, and all upset at them.  You then post about them and go to the website.  Gran Turismo 5 is an ideal game to take a shot at.  You write an article talking about how a European deluxe version of GT5 is madly expensive.  You also write about the perfectionist development approach of the makers, saying it STILL isn't done (well, DUH, it hasn't gone gold yet). Then you post a suspect video on how the load times are obscenely long (considering with what happened wiht ModNation it would generate attention), but saying it may not be right.

And you fall for it, and discuss them, because you are SO concerned of the hype train behind GT5 might get derailed over concerns about the game, and affect sales, not only of the game, but the obscene number of PS3s you are banking on GT5 selling.  GT5 isn't just supposed to be a great racing game, it is supposed to propel the PS3 PERMANENTLY to second place, crushing Microsoft under the boot of Sony, and in a hail mary you hope it drives Microsoft out of the console business.  Well, nah you know it won't do that (drive Microsoft out of the console business), but gee, wouldn't it be nice if GT5 at least forced Microsoft to be permanently be in third place FOREVER?   Good to have them around to keep Sony on its toes, but can't have them beat Sony.  So... GT5 can't have its hype train derailed.

How about we derail hype trains and just wait on the game, and buy it because you like it, and not make it out to be more than a great racer?

Great post.

Slimebeast said:
richardhutnik said:

Let explain how the media works when covering things that aren't that serious or important, like sports or videogames.  The media lives and dies by being attention whores.  They need you to talk about them and rant about them and discuss them, to get them to visit their website, so their advertising gets watched.  In sports, you had the LeBron James show for several weeks, followed up with him doing a one hour special where he made an announcement where he would go.  ESPN obscenely milked this to a very large degree, making a ton of false predictions on where LeBron would go.  They got everyone all upset, and not just them doing it but Yahoo sports and others. And now the media is trying to do the same with Isiah Thomas scheming to take over the GM spot with the Knicks.  They will also end up creating a false rumored report of something happening, and report that, then report a denial of it being true, creating two news items where there weren't any.

How does this fit with Gran Turismo 5?  Well, easy.  What Kotaku does is post things that get people worried, and all upset at them.  You then post about them and go to the website.  Gran Turismo 5 is an ideal game to take a shot at.  You write an article talking about how a European deluxe version of GT5 is madly expensive.  You also write about the perfectionist development approach of the makers, saying it STILL isn't done (well, DUH, it hasn't gone gold yet). Then you post a suspect video on how the load times are obscenely long (considering with what happened wiht ModNation it would generate attention), but saying it may not be right.

And you fall for it, and discuss them, because you are SO concerned of the hype train behind GT5 might get derailed over concerns about the game, and affect sales, not only of the game, but the obscene number of PS3s you are banking on GT5 selling.  GT5 isn't just supposed to be a great racing game, it is supposed to propel the PS3 PERMANENTLY to second place, crushing Microsoft under the boot of Sony, and in a hail mary you hope it drives Microsoft out of the console business.  Well, nah you know it won't do that (drive Microsoft out of the console business), but gee, wouldn't it be nice if GT5 at least forced Microsoft to be permanently be in third place FOREVER?   Good to have them around to keep Sony on its toes, but can't have them beat Sony.  So... GT5 can't have its hype train derailed.

How about we derail hype trains and just wait on the game, and buy it because you like it, and not make it out to be more than a great racer?

Great post.

Thanks.

I got caught up into the entire NBA offseason thing with LeBron, and I see similarities here.  Let me say the person who doctored the video is also playing this pay attention to me game.

I am not sure anyone can accept videogames just aren't that high of a priority in the big picture, so they hold "journalists" to higher standards than one can really expect.  Amazing how such a low priority thing as videogames generate such passion.  I guess the same is true for sports, except at LEAST with videogames you get to interact with them.

GT5 doesnt need any hype at all to sell extremly well...

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
The fact that they don't want to accept the fact that they F*d up and that people in RL don't like to move in slow mo is even more pathetic

They accepted today.

Update 3: As can be seen in the embed, the creators of the video now say that the clip was slowed down. Scrutinizing the timer that appears in the driving part of the clip, we agree that the video appears to be slowed down and is not running at full speed. We apologize for any confusion or consternation caused by our mistake.

Video Shows Gran Turismo 5 Has Painfully Slow Load Times [Correction]
http://kotaku.com/5608849/video-shows-gran-turismo-5-has-painfully-slow-load-times 

KOTAKU'S EPIC FAIL!!! 

ROFL!!! kotaku is just pathetic.