By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect detects sign language.

Smidlee said:
Mr Puggsly said:

They should have just put one really good mic.

It's my understand it helps to reduce  background noise.

I know a lot of webcams say they reduce background noise. But clearly the PS Eye was the king of killing background noise.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I think this is a sign that MS has a lot more planned for Kinect than they have shown already. 

Sweep said:
Mr Puggsly said:
papflesje said:

No offense, but no way in hell that it can detect movement that fast and delicate. I've seen plenty of programmes that can detect sign language, but that usually has to be slowed down so that the computer can actually keep up with it. It's like talking in slow motion...

I imagine the programs you're talking about used a standard webcam? The Kinect is far more capable so I'd imagine it would do it better.

This is absolutly not true, the technical specs of the kinect cameras are nothing spectacular :

KINECT     

Field of View
Horizontal field of view: 57 degrees

Data Streams
320x240 16-bit depth @ 30 frames/sec
640x480 32-bit colour @ 30 frames/sec
4 Mics Array 16-bit audio @ 16 kHz

PSEYE

Field of View

Horizontal field of view: 56 degrees or 72 degrees

Data Streams

320x240 32-bit colour @ 120 frames/sec

640x480 32-bit colour @ 60 frames/sec

4 Mics Array 16-bit audio @ 48 kHz

I'm even pretty sure that with its fastest frame rate, the PSEye would be better at detecting sign language

1 word: Software.

2 computers with the exact same specs, one has a an operating system, the other has a blank hard drive.  Which one is capable of doing more?

Having said that you're missing the depth sensors.  Stop trying to convince people that Kinect and the PSEye have the same tech, it's just silly.  If that was the case why would Sony even release the Move?  Simple logic.

daroamer said:
Sweep said:
Mr Puggsly said:
papflesje said:

No offense, but no way in hell that it can detect movement that fast and delicate. I've seen plenty of programmes that can detect sign language, but that usually has to be slowed down so that the computer can actually keep up with it. It's like talking in slow motion...

I imagine the programs you're talking about used a standard webcam? The Kinect is far more capable so I'd imagine it would do it better.

This is absolutly not true, the technical specs of the kinect cameras are nothing spectacular :

KINECT     

Field of View

Data Streams

PSEYE

Field of View

Data Streams

I'm even pretty sure that with its fastest frame rate, the PSEye would be better at detecting sign language

2 computers with the exact same specs, one has a an operating system, the other has a blank hard drive.  Which one is capable of doing more?

Having said that you're missing the depth sensors.  Stop trying to convince people that Kinect and the PSEye have the same tech, it's just silly.  If that was the case why would Sony even release the Move?  Simple logic.

The monochrome CMOS sensor is basicly a IR camera. It's measures depth by how the IR light bounces off a person.  PS eye uses normal light to determine depth yet since in normal conditions  you got more than one light source it a lot harder to do. Thus the reason for lighted ball on the end of Move and why Kinect uses IR light.
 For $150  you are not getting some expensive high tech device on either consoles.

Who knows if Microsoft is planning to build a more expensive version of Kinect for the PC (other than gaming) in the future.

daroamer said:
Sweep said:
Mr Puggsly said:
papflesje said:

KINECT     

Field of View

Data Streams

PSEYE

Field of View

Data Streams

Not trying to say they are the same tech. PSEye's tech is simpler but a lot of its specs are simply better than their counterparts on Kinect.

I know that there is no depth sensor with PSEye but that doesn't seem to be a problem for it : It manages depth briliantly (IMHO, from what I saw with the games and tech demos, it's even doing it better than Kinect).

Around the Network

From Amazon.com:

• Color VGA Motion Camera: 640x480 pixel resolution @30FPS
  • Depth Camera: 640x480 pixel resolution @30FPS

Also, the Kinect has hardware on board that does some additional audio processing, such as beam forming.

People you have to remember that Kinect is also to be used with the PC platform as well as Xbox 360. You're sitting a hell of a lot closer to a PC than a TV which is where the sign language comes into play. This has nothing to do with the next generation Kinect or the Xbox 360. This has always been one of the intended PC applications.

Tease.

greenmedic88 said:
binary solo said:

Well they do need finger movement detection to play the pew pew games, after all how does it know when you've pulled the trigger?

They'll develop a new genre: the First Person Grenade game.

No guns, no triggers, just throwing grenades. You'll love it.

Isn't that MW2? :P

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Let's just hope that this is true.

If they made a game that teaches us to sign, that would be awesome.

Always wanted to learn to sign.

Coca-Cola said:

Let's just hope that this is true.

If they made a game that teaches us to sign, that would be awesome.

Always wanted to learn to sign.

I don't think that's likely with the current hardware as it doesn't pick up finger gestures or specific hand movements. It's likely they'll use it in a later iteration or a more specific product tailored for specific uses such as this.

MS must have realised that the implications of this tech go well beyond gaming. Good luck to them.