By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect detects sign language.

From IGN.com:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/111/1110948p1.html

Kinect Detects Sign Language Microsoft's movement tracking technology opens up more possibilities

At long last, Microsoft's Kinect console patent has been released to the public. Details reveal the mechanics of the program's "gesture keyboarding" system, which is tracked by a unique PrimeSense-developed depth camera.

But one of the most substantial features of note is that, not only does the system recognize gameplay movement, but it also detects American Sign Language. This will allow fluent users to input letters, words and even entire phrases to be interpreted as readable data. This could end up being a very significant feature for those proficient in ASL.

- Microsoft

Kinect essentially operates by initiating a "skeletal mapping" feature, creating a dynamic wireframe representation of the user. The depth camera is then able to recognize even the subtlest of movements, including the minutia of ASL finger positioning.

Overall, the Kinect seems to be opening up the doors to even more possibilities than we first expected. Not only is it tapping into its primary gamer demographic, but the system also seems to have the potential to become a functional learning tool as well.

A full transcription of the patent can be found here.

Looks like Kinect can detect finger movement. I'm interested to see what MS can come out with now that we know Kinect is more precise than we thought.

Around the Network

Sounds interesting, I do not think it will be used alot in games, but for could be great for when kinect makes it computers, and maybe even tv's.

patents cover ideas not products.

MS may have the idea patented but that is not proof that kinect can detect fingers movements or sign language.  i'm not going to look up anything for you but over the years we have seen plenty of patents from nintendo and sony that haven't become real products. 

its a great idea for people who can't talk and want to use that voice recognition thing , and ironically it might work better than the voice recognition.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

kitler53 said:

MS may have the idea patented but that is not proof that kinect can detect fingers movements or sign language.  i'm not going to look up anything for you but over the years we have seen plenty of patents from nintendo and sony that haven't become real products. 

I would think they would have to have something close to doing it. if not people could just patent any idea even if technology isn't there for it yet. I could be wrong. And alot of stuff that is patented my nintendo/sony/ms may not tsee the light of day just because they do not believe it will bring a return on investment, or there is no way to market the product. I do doubt this will be used much with the kinect for games, but it I could see it used in place of voice commands for some of kinects other features that may be translated to future products of the kinect family or line.

Around the Network
thranx said:
kitler53 said:

I would think they would have to have something close to doing it. if not people could just patent any idea even if technology isn't there for it yet. I could be wrong. And alot of stuff that is patented my nintendo/sony/ms may not tsee the light of day just because they do not believe it will bring a return on investment, or there is no way to market the product. I do doubt this will be used much with the kinect for games, but it I could see it used in place of voice commands for some of kinects other features that may be translated to future products of the kinect family or line.

but that is just the point.  people/companies can and do exactly that.  there are patent holding companies that do absolutely nothing but patent ideas then sue companies for patent infringement.

i know i said i wouldn't look up an example .... but i looked up an example. nintendo/ms/sony got sued a couple years back:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/14/nintendo-escapes-patent-troll-in-appeals-court-thanks-to-sony/

MS patent the idea which may or may not there is a valid product behind it.  and even if there is a valid product behind it, it doesn't mean kinect is it.  maybe kinect2 will have it.  unless ms or someone developing for kinect says kinect can do it we have no proof to go on.

Ido not understand how that link applies, but I think you and me may be splitting hairs or slighty not getting what the other is saying.. While I agree that  its not proof that kinect can detect finger movement. I guess its just the way you said it made it seem like companies just go patent crazy and then do the work later. As far as I know that would not hold up in patent court.

From the videos I have seen of how kinect sees things I could see how it may be possible for kinect as is to read sign language. I do not thik however that kinect could dtect finger movement quickly enough for game playing. It would probably need people who speak ASL to move their hands slower as though they were talking to a beginer in ASL instead of someone who has spoken it hteir whole life.

Awesome!!! That means if they make a Naruto game for the Kinect, I can actually do the jitsu gestures to make shit happen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Awesome!!! That means if they make a Naruto game for the Kinect, I can actually do the jitsu gestures to make shit happen.

Or if they make a Milo game, I can flip off the little twat.

Well they do need finger movement detection to play the pew pew games, after all how does it know when you've pulled the trigger?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix