By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Thinking about Buying Starcraft 2. Need some help with PC

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5670,2533-9.html

Heres a little benchmark showing how they perform.

Tease.

Around the Network

okay so the 5670 is better than the nvidia?

SpartenOmega117 said:

Yes. The 240 isn't that great (it's slower than the old 8800GT, which you can probably eBay for not much more than $100). If you can spare the cash, going up to the 5750 is totally worth it, it's an amazing card. (I only had to change mine out because ATI has terrible Linux drivers).

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)
Vectorferret said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

Yes. The 240 isn't that great (it's slower than the old 8800GT, which you can probably eBay for not much more than $100). If you can spare the cash, going up to the 5750 is totally worth it, it's an amazing card. (I only had to change mine out because ATI has terrible Linux drivers).

yeah thats what i was just thinking. but will it work with my computer? how much watts does it use?

It's listed at 86W, they tend to use a little bit less. I ran a quad core CPU, 4 HDD's and the 5750 on a 400W. Just don't overclock it. I'd estimate your CPU at no more than 100W, so you still have plenty (by my semi guesswork).

Around the Network
Vectorferret said:

It's listed at 86W, they tend to use a little bit less. I ran a quad core CPU, 4 HDD's and the 5750 on a 400W. Just don't overclock it.

well i have a 250 watt psu. i have hp a1106. do you think it will work fine? also i found several ones like sapphire, asus, and xfx. which one is the bet one?

SpartenOmega117 said:
Vectorferret said:

It's listed at 86W, they tend to use a little bit less. I ran a quad core CPU, 4 HDD's and the 5750 on a 400W. Just don't overclock it.

well i have a 250 watt psu. i have hp a1106. do you think it will work fine? also i found several ones like sapphire, asus, and xfx. which one is the bet one?

I thought you had a 350W. I'm not sure if a 250 can handle it or if you're better off going down to the 5670 (it's also physcially smaller so will fit in a smaller case if that's a problem). Mabye try a store you can take the card back to if the 5750 doesn't work under load. Of those brands, XFX would be my preference based on past experience but I'd need to actually look at a comparison benchmark to know which of those is best for the 5750.

Edit - Ok, the CPU you have is 65W. So even with the 5750 you'd have 100W left (a little more) for the mobo, RAM and HDD which shouldn't be a problem.

Vectorferret said:
SpartenOmega117 said:
Vectorferret said:

I thought you had a 350W. I'm not sure if a 250 can handle it or if you're better off going down to the 5670 (it's also physcially smaller so will fit in a smaller case if that's a problem). Mabye try a store you can take the card back to if the 5750 doesn't work under load. Of those brands, XFX would be my preference based on past experience but I'd need to actually look at a comparison benchmark to know which of those is best for the 5750.

well the only real electronic store near me is best buy. and i can't find it at best buy.

I wouldn't go for a 5750 with that power supply. Every power supply is limited by the current it can supply on the different 3V 5V and 12V rails. Since both the CPU and GPU are on the 12V rail you don't have the full rated 250W to spend on those components. Keep your margin of safety.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

I wouldn't go for a 5750 with that power supply. Every power supply is limited by the current it can supply on the different 3V 5V and 12V rails. Since both the CPU and GPU are on the 12V rail you don't have the full rated 250W to spend on those components. Keep your margin of safety.

okay so what card would you recommend? That are available at best buy