By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will Starcraft 2 reach 20 millions sales?

Will Starcraft 2 reach 20 millions sales?

Yes 42 31.11%

No 83 61.48%

Can't Decide 10 7.41%

Total:135
FaRmLaNd said:

I don't know about doubling but modern warfare 2 has massively outsold the original. Yes I know that it was the first call of duty game, but starcraft has picked up a huge amount of goodwill in the 12 years since its release.

EDIT just read the RTS bit. Warcraft to warcraft 2 did it, at least according to vgchartz data. And hey its a Blizzard title!

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans 2.08

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness 4.21

Interesting, also the fact that WC3 sold less than WC2...

Though a 2 million more than the original is a lot less than saying 9 million more for SC :)

I'll stick with my 15 mil LTD :)

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:
FaRmLaNd said:

I don't know about doubling but modern warfare 2 has massively outsold the original. Yes I know that it was the first call of duty game, but starcraft has picked up a huge amount of goodwill in the 12 years since its release.

EDIT just read the RTS bit. Warcraft to warcraft 2 did it, at least according to vgchartz data. And hey its a Blizzard title!

Though a 2 million more than the original is a lot less than saying 9 million more for SC :)

I don't actually think that wc3 sold less. Its initial shipment was 4.5 million and I read on an aussie box recently thats it'd shipped 6 million copies (plus its avaliable digitally on battle.net now) worldwide. But thats besides the point, 1 to 2 doubled, and since we're dealing with starcraft 2 not 3 its hardly a valid ellipsis...

I certainly don't think that its a done deal that it'll reach 20 million and 15 million is certainly more realistic. The fact that we can actually discuss this as possible (and 15 million seems likely) is amazing given the conventional widom around here in regards to the pc market and of course the negative reaction to bn2.0. I had thought it'd simply sell aswell as the original before the vgchartz article and its fantastic that it'll probably do better then that.

Carl2291 said:

Hmm...

Firstly, what are your sources? VGChartz says it sold 1.8 Million in it's first day, excluding Korea.

There could have even been up to 4 Million people playing it in Korea, day 1. Dunno if you wanna count all those as "sold" though.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81096/starcraft-ii-sells-18-million-copies-on-day-1-excluding-korea/

5.8 Million (high end) in a day is a big, big number. Outselling the original by the end of the year is a certainty IMO.

20 Million is possible lifetime... Will take a long while though.

Edit: If you add Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void together... Then yes. Easily.

From Blizzard.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

all three versions definatly.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

saicho said:
Carl2291 said:

Hmm...

Firstly, what are your sources? VGChartz says it sold 1.8 Million in it's first day, excluding Korea.

There could have even been up to 4 Million people playing it in Korea, day 1. Dunno if you wanna count all those as "sold" though.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/81096/starcraft-ii-sells-18-million-copies-on-day-1-excluding-korea/

5.8 Million (high end) in a day is a big, big number. Outselling the original by the end of the year is a certainty IMO.

Edit: If you add Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void together... Then yes. Easily.

From Blizzard.

What's from Blizzard?

Please form complete sentences.

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network
Tanstalas said:
saicho said:
Carl2291 said:

Hmm...

From Blizzard.

What's from Blizzard?

Please form complete sentences.

Carl was asking what was shio's source stating SC2 sold 1.5 mil in two days since "VGChartz says it sold 1.8 Million in it's first day, excluding Korea."

I was just stating the source was from Blizzard.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Here's the link to the Activision press release- http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=495875

Call me picky, but I'd rather go with their figure than some random number that VGChartz appear to have made up.

Tanstalas said:
FaRmLaNd said:

Now I know you're trolling.

Warcraft 3 did far more than it's predecessor, and could have sold up to 10 millions. It shipped 4.5 million units in just a month, of which over 1 millions were sold to gamers.

See it this way, Starcraft 2 sold 1.5 millions in only 2 days, while it took 9 months for Starcraft to sell the same!

Oh, and Starcraft 2's figure doesn't even include Korean sales!

Starcraft 2 will keep selling for over a decade, selling millions every year. Think about that.

Maybe. Who knows for sure.

Not sure about 20 million, but 15 million should be attainable over time.

It's just that simple.