By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live Silver Accounts now must wait 1 week to download new content

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/12/04/fyi-free-xbox-live-marketplace-content-and-silver-accounts.aspx

Just a reminder that if you have a Silver account, you won’t have access to free content on the the Marketplace (like demos) when they are first posted. That content will be available to Gold level exclusively for one week, after which Silver members will have access to the free content.

This is not done to annoy our Silver members—limited time exclusive access to content is just one of the many benefits of having a Gold Xbox Live account.

I didn't see this coming. Really, xbox live gold seems like a resonable value for some but when you take away something from the free service to "add" a bullet point to your paid service it just reeks of shadiness. Seems like there are all sorts of ways they can add to the gold service without making the free alternative worse.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

it looks like they want more people to get gold

Well that sucks for silver dudes.

mM
endurance said:

It seems like they see silver account holders as nothing more than potential gold account holders.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

leo-j said:
Well that sucks for silver dudes.

well gold is the real deal

Around the Network

@ameratsu
yeah they llok at em like potencial gold users thats why there doing all these things to make em gold users

I just still want to know why I can't send text messages through XBOX.com without a Gold Account. =P

I can hear how nice Xbox Live is, but I'm never really liking the whole money thing (PC background mind you). Well, perhaps that would be a nice incentive for the Gold members.

Actually, if people complain that download speeds and such are the same between Silver and Gold members, a week delay for the Silver members would give the Gold members some time to get the games before the strain of the Silver members joins the downloading scene.

ameratsu said:
endurance said:

It seems like they see silver account holders as nothing more than potential gold account holders.

Well, duh. MS wants everyone to switch to gold. The easy way to do that is to devalue silver to convince people to switch to gold.

The other way is to improve service for gold members. Giving gold members a week headstart will improve their upload speeds.

I don't like it, but hey I'm a consumer. 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

endurance said:
@ameratsu
yeah they llok at em like potencial gold users thats why there doing all these things to make em gold users

and now in their SILVER VS GOLD chart, they've added a bullet point to the gold service by gimping the silver service. Infact, that bullet point is already up on xbox.com.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/