By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live Silver Accounts now must wait 1 week to download new content

Sigh...

Doesn't anyone remember that from the beginning of the Xbox Live service for the X360, this was supposed to happen, but got delayed?

This has been a very, very long time coming. Its absolutely no suprise to me.

I you are arguing "it's gimping silver service!" but it's not. It's not like they are removing the service....Just delaying free demos a week for games.

It's not really a bad idea - when a demo comes out, Xbox Live runs at a snail's pace, slowing everything from downloads, to games down half of the time. If you can stagger the "release" of high-end demos (like AC6's demo, that had 500,000 demos it's first week....That's a ton of bandwidth), it will allow both gold and silver accounts better speeds to the same content.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Gold members pay, they should obviously be the top priority.
Anyone who has a problem with that can always pay 13 cents a day for Gold.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

As a future x360 owner, I disagree with reducing the functionality of a free service (in this case timed content) in order to bolster the functionality of a paid service. i've seen it done before elsewhere and it annoys me every time. The right way would of been to add servers and give gold subscribers faster download speeds. Instead they reduced the functionality of the free service to make the paid service seem better.

I really wonder how developers feel about this.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

From a dev perspective, this is one more week to get demos, videos and other updates into the hands of my potential customers/customers.

As a customer, it makes me take a long, hard look at PC gaming and why it'll still be around for years to come.

I'm lucky enough to be in a house which already has a gold account or two in it so I pay nothing, but that still sucks for people who don't have the cash for a gold account. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

thank god the PSN is free and grants instant access.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:

Yeah thank god because all those people who paid $600 for their console can't afford an extra 13 cents a day.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Stickball, good point about speed. At first I thought this was kinda cheap but as a Gold member, the possibility of Live not taking a shit every time a major release hits will be nice.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

sinha said:
ssj12 said:

Yeah thank god because all those people who paid $600 for their console can't afford an extra 13 cents a day.

You want to spin it that way, i'll spin it the other way. Xbox live will cost you $250 during an assumed 5 year lifespan. That 13 cents a day bullshit sounds like a best buy employee trying to sell an extended warranty to some oblivious customer.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

I guess I'll just have to wait a week. I've never been gold.... I'm not really into online and I most certainly don't think this is a bad idea. Silver members may complain, but they are paying nothing for the service. They can download anything that gold members can and I'd be irritated if I was gold... Fine by me and I'm a 360 fan...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

ameratsu said:
sinha said:
ssj12 said:

You want to spin it that way, i'll spin it the other way. Xbox live will cost you $250 during an assumed 5 year lifespan. That 13 cents a day bullshit sounds like a best buy employee trying to sell an extended warranty to some oblivious customer.

Yes it will cost that much, and no one has to pay it unless they think it's worth it.  And yet it seems to be doing pretty well.