By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Where would the world be right now if religion never existed?

Also, as for rapists who rape people in wartime.

They do so because of stress... not because they suddenly have a bunch of power over people.  They rape to take power away from what they see as the cause of their stress.  People related to the people shooting at them.  Except for those that already would rape. 

Being a preist isn't particularly that stressful of a proffession compaired to the general population of profession.  Said offenders are more likely to offend outside of the priesthood due to the fact that they'd likely have a harder life outside of the priesthood. 

Furthermore stress child molesters aren't pedophiles.  Stress offenders prefer adults.

So, once again... you need to talk more with your parents... because your actual understanding of psychology is quite lacking.

Or do you think that having a child turns people into pedophiles?  Afterall who has more power over a child then their own parents?  Or School Teachers... do you think Schools create pedophles?  Babysitters?

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Tanstalas said:
NanakiXI said:

BTW i'm Athiest and beleive that religion may not be the best answer. But it exist and will always be.

I'm tolerant to all who are tolerant to me.

I do favor the mythology and lore from christiananity more than other religions. It's right up there with Greek Mythology and Roman.

I don't think we will ever see a God of War game going after Jesus though :P

i don't know. remember David Jaffe said he would make Kratos destroy all the gods

That would be a huge outcry from the church.  Wasn't it KZ2 (or was it resistance) that featured a church in the game and the church went apeshit

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Icyedge said:
FaRmLaNd said:

No way!

Whoever said atheists believe in nothing? They simply reject that gods exist based on the lack of evidence. They can believe in all sorts of things. The focus as always should be on eliminating extreme dogmas and ideologies. My point wasn't that wars aren't fought, I'm just at a loss to find a war where atheists forced atheism onto other people without them using an extreme ideology such as more extreme forms of communism for example. Of course wars are fought, I was explicitly talking about religious wars or anti-religious wars. Since atheism is simply the lack of belief in something you'd be hard pressed to fight a war over it. Though I'm not saying its impossible.

Your right, funny thing is that Atheism negate the existence of god. Its a form of believe exactly like being catholic. While Agnostic, suspend their judgment, they dont negate nor believe gods exist. So many Atheist are infact Agnostic.

Of course its a form of belief. But most importantly its a negation of a belief proposed by someone else. Atheism doesn't have to prove that gods don't exist, the theist and the deist has to prove that God does. And since that hasn't been achieved atheism is a perfectly respectable idea or belief to have. And its nothing like catholicism, AT ALL.Or any theology for that matter.

Atheism is simply the rejection of beleif in God because the people that say God exists can't prove it. You could call atheism a belief, but thats as far as it goes. Theism is a faith, which is belief in something despite the lack of evidence. Atheism is not a faith, since its the rejection of something precisely BECAUSE no evidence exists that can prove that God/Gods exist.

Lets not even go into the fact that atheism has no practices, holy books, doctrines, or makes any assertion about anything. So no it certainly is not like catholocism. at all...

Let me repeat, the buden of proof is on the theist not the atheist.

Also, of course Agnosticism and Atheism aren't mutually exclusive. But thats besides the point really.

Tanstalas said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Tanstalas said:
NanakiXI said:

BTW i'm Athiest and beleive that religion may not be the best answer. But it exist and will always be.

I'm tolerant to all who are tolerant to me.

I do favor the mythology and lore from christiananity more than other religions. It's right up there with Greek Mythology and Roman.

I don't think we will ever see a God of War game going after Jesus though :P

i don't know. remember David Jaffe said he would make Kratos destroy all the gods

That would be a huge outcry from the church.  Wasn't it KZ2 (or was it resistance) that featured a church in the game and the church went apeshit

LoL. also true. (those pansies LoL)  it was Resistance fall of man.

Kasz216 said:
Icyedge said:
Kasz216 said:

1. And... your completely wrong.  The percentage of pedohplies in teh priesthood was never way higher then the percentage of pedophiles in the general population.

Again it's lower.  That's what the research shows.

So... you are completley off base and misinformed.

Also pedophillia is something that is caused at a very early age... by the time someone would be old enough to be a priest said behevaior will have already manifested.

Additionally research seems there is a heavy biological component involved.

2.People don't just become pedophiles.  They have to be biologically receptive and also have something else trigger it... before or during their sexual development.

30 year old people don't magically become pedophiles.  Once you hit sexual maturity you are either  a pedophile or you aren't.

I think you need to do some more studying of Psychology.

I mean heck... teachers have power over children... parents too.  Do you think Parenthood turns people into pedophiles?

1. I said in the 60-70 where pedophilia was rempant in priesthood, not today

2. Something to trigger it, thats what I said. Surely if you have pre-disposition then your more likely to trigger the problem. Tough, it can happen with or without pre-disposition. And, even if you have pre-disposition (whatever the factors) problem may never arise. So no its not true that a pedophile priest would have been one nonetheless. It may, but not neccessarily. What about the army mens who rape women from the enemy. Would they have been rapist anyway if they handt been place in that situation? What about the one that will do it because the other does it?

3. Both of my parents are psychologist, ive discussed about psychology since a very young age. And you?

Between, if you didnt get it, my point is that, in many instance the serial killer or pedophile would be one nonetheless but not neccessarily. In the orphanage there was more pedophile priest than in other situation. Sure, there could be many factors to explain that. But its not as simple as black or white. Thats what im trying to explain to you.

1.  Which, surprise surprise,  isn't true.  It wasn't more prevelent then in the general population then.

2.  By the time someone is a priest it's too late to trigger it.   Pedophillia has to be triggered BEFORE sexual maturity.  So again.   You are wrong. 

3.  I personally have a degree in psychology.  Try talking to your parents about this again if they really are psychologists.  You are wrong.  They will tell you as such.  Padophillia has to be triggered BEFORE sexual maturity.

Like any mental problem it can be develop or trigger at anytime. Theres no absolute rule, you should know that. Pedophilia is not a sexual preference its a mental problem.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Also, as for rapists who rape people in wartime.

They do so because of stress... not because they suddenly have a bunch of power over people.  They rape to take power away from what they see as the cause of their stress.  People related to the people shooting at them.  Except for those that already would rape. 

Being a preist isn't particularly that stressful of a proffession compaired to the general population of profession.  Said offenders are more likely to offend outside of the priesthood due to the fact that they'd likely have a harder life outside of the priesthood. 

Furthermore stress child molesters aren't pedophiles.  Stress offenders prefer adults.

So, once again... you need to talk more with your parents... because your actual understanding of psychology is quite lacking.

Or do you think that having a child turns people into pedophiles?  Afterall who has more power over a child then their own parents?  Or School Teachers... do you think Schools create pedophles?  Babysitters?

LOL not neccesarily... not neccesarily is what im saying from the start. Theres no absolute rule. It always depends on the person and the environment.

pizzahut451 said:
novasonic said:

There would have only been like 1/5th the wars, and a lot less sickness and death... Less raceism.. less everything bad. Religions are outdated concepts that work great in small anchient communities, but cause hatered and war on a large scale.

i love how people blame relgion for mankind's faults...

Religion caused many of man kinds faults. It's also man kind's biggest faults. It's slaughtered more people than any other person or country ever has or will.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Religion from a purely social point of view are good in that they provide hope in the worst scenarios, unify common peoples (i.e. tribes, city-states), create organization and societal structure, etc.

From today's point of view you may, in your athiest point of view, think they are worthless, but step back a few thousand years and consider the knowledge base of the time and you'll realize that religion of any form was a very important tool to formalize society and control chaos.

FaRmLaNd said:
Icyedge said:
FaRmLaNd said:

No way!

Whoever said atheists believe in nothing? They simply reject that gods exist based on the lack of evidence. They can believe in all sorts of things. The focus as always should be on eliminating extreme dogmas and ideologies. My point wasn't that wars aren't fought, I'm just at a loss to find a war where atheists forced atheism onto other people without them using an extreme ideology such as more extreme forms of communism for example. Of course wars are fought, I was explicitly talking about religious wars or anti-religious wars. Since atheism is simply the lack of belief in something you'd be hard pressed to fight a war over it. Though I'm not saying its impossible.

Your right, funny thing is that Atheism negate the existence of god. Its a form of believe exactly like being catholic. While Agnostic, suspend their judgment, they dont negate nor believe gods exist. So many Atheist are infact Agnostic.

Of course its a form of belief. But most importantly its a negation of a belief proposed by someone else. Atheism doesn't have to prove that gods don't exist, the theist and the deist has to prove that God does. And since that hasn't been achieved atheism is a perfectly respectable idea or belief to have. And its nothing like catholicism, AT ALL.Or any theology for that matter.

Atheism is simply the rejection of beleif in God because the people that say God exists can't prove it. You could call atheism a belief, but thats as far as it goes. Theism is a faith, which is belief in something despite the lack of evidence. Atheism is not a faith, since its the rejection of something precisely BECAUSE no evidence exists that can prove that God/Gods exist.

Lets not even go into the fact that atheism has no practices, holy books, doctrines, or makes any assertion about anything. So no it certainly is not like catholocism. at all...

Let me repeat, the buden of proof is on the theist not the atheist.

Also, of course Agnosticism and Atheism aren't mutually exclusive. But thats besides the point really.

I meant that Atheism is a form of belief like religion is, not that it has the same practice and engagement. Sorry for the misunderstatement.

we would be killing each other with far more advence weapons

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.