By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does it matter if Kinect works right?

M.U.G.E.N said:

I feel sad as a gamer to see such threads like this....so as of now to some what matters is it sells not that it offers a good solid gaming experience...

It's always been that way, I just hope those some are only MS owners and executive 

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I feel sad as a gamer to see such threads like this....so as of now to some what matters is it sells not that it offers a good solid gaming experience...

Well, to the casual market, it doesn't really matter if the device has faults. If the advertising is there, and if it catches on, then it has performed its function. Who are you to say the device doesn't work right? The most innovative ones don't, sadly, because new technology requires time to perfect. Just because it doesn't work right, doesn't mean that it doesn't work at all. For example, the Wii-Mote doesn't work "right" so is that a sad example to you as well?

As far as what is truely important relative to this device, I'm not a casual, and neither are you. This device isn't targeted towards us, so neither of us can really say if it offers a solid gaming experience relative to anything. Nor can either of us say what "matters," in gaming, because that is really an opinion.

If you've made an account on this forum, you probably aren't a casual gamer.

so kinect is ONLY for casual audience and not for the hardcore at all? then why should you and I or anyone else here care? Kinect offers NOTHING to us then...heck it doesn't seem to offer a no hassle no hiccup experience to the casuals as well from most previews around the web at the moment

and let's talk about casuals...do you honestly think if the device doesn't work properly it will 'keep' selling well? Hell no...it will be front loaded BIG TIME but it will die off fast....if wii didn't work properly you think it would have been the success it is today? Sure it didn't work exactly the way they hyped it at first and same goes for kienct, kinect showed so much potential at first but they don't even show most of the initial features they marketed like scanning items in now...the seating issue, max number of players etc will be a problem for the device and is bad publicity.

SO to answer simply, does it matter it works properly? hell yeah unless MS wants this to be just a quick buck on the run, do not underestimate the power of word of mouth

As it is now, Kinect will sell more in the first few months but in the long run will be outsold by the competition easily...that's my personal take on it

A. Mostly, we shouldn't care, unless we're tracking sales. It's for casuals. So, unless you're into that sort of thing, then you probably would want to avoid it.

B. The Wii-Mote still doesn't work properly, and yes it keeps selling, because it works good enough.

Again, I'm not asking if it matters that the device works at all. Yes, it matters that it can turn on, and make an outline of you and guess your weight and all of that other crap.

What doesn't matter is if there is a relatively small latency issue, or if you have to stand up while playing, or anything at all in any of those videos you saw at all. Because the thing works. It wouldn't release if it didn't. It just doesn't work right, and it won't for several years. It doesn't matter if it works right. It doesn't matter if the Wii-Mote works right. If it's a new and fun experience to the people who buy it, then that is all that matters to them. They aren't completely invested in it. They just want to dance, or lose weight, or bat some damn beach balls, because it's cool,and its exciting, and it's new to them.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

unknown_soul89 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

It's always been that way, I just hope those some are only MS owners and executive 

A little off topic here, but that's probably a major reason Microsoft did so well this generation. They concentrated on things that........increased sales. Their games are pretty fun too, so I don't see what's wrong with that.

Same thing with this device.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Another thing, some of you have implied that I am right to a point, but that I fail to grasp the difference between the Wii-Mote and Kinect, saying that Kinect works way worse than the Wii-Mote.

That may be, but these are opinions based on predictions of how the device will eventually perform on the market. I have no opinion as to the quality of the device relative to the Wii-Mote, but I do know they share a similar factor. They don't work nearly as well as advertised, and they are selling to casuals based upon the premise of offering them a new experience. Beyond that, I haven't played Kinect and I never shall, so I couldn't comment.

If I'm honest, I just lied. I do have an opinion. I hate kinect, I think it sucks, and I think it's a blight on an otherwise great and under-rated console. However, it will unfortunately outsell the Move, despite the move being far superior, because Sony won't support the move very well, and they won't advertise it very well either, making it potentially short lived. It won't have any appeal to casuals, despite casuals being the current proven audience for motion controls. The Move will sell to Sony fans. It won't be a console mover like Kinect will be. Kinect will probably not sell to the current 360 fanbase. It will sell to casuals, or it will not sell at all. For it to sell to casuals, it will need some mass market appeal via national non-gaming related news outlets, and some major hype. If it sells or if it doesn't sell to casuals, if will have absolutely nothing to do with the precision, latency, or lighting required in the room during actual gameplay. It will have to do with advertising, popularity, mass non-gaming outlet appeal, and library.

Again, Oprah will sell a billion more Kinects than a post launch calibration app ever could. We all know how casuals love installing firmware updates to reduce their load times.

There's a difference between something not working as advertised and not working at all, the wii doesn't work as advertised but it does work, kinect doesn't work as advertised on anything but appears to work on yoga and dance games and not at all on racing and pretty much anything else 

unknown_soul89 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Another thing, some of you have implied that I am right to a point, but that I fail to grasp the difference between the Wii-Mote and Kinect, saying that Kinect works way worse than the Wii-Mote.

That may be, but these are opinions based on predictions of how the device will eventually perform on the market. I have no opinion as to the quality of the device relative to the Wii-Mote, but I do know they share a similar factor. They don't work nearly as well as advertised, and they are selling to casuals based upon the premise of offering them a new experience. Beyond that, I haven't played Kinect and I never shall, so I couldn't comment.

If I'm honest, I just lied. I do have an opinion. I hate kinect, I think it sucks, and I think it's a blight on an otherwise great and under-rated console. However, it will unfortunately outsell the Move, despite the move being far superior, because Sony won't support the move very well, and they won't advertise it very well either, making it potentially short lived. It won't have any appeal to casuals, despite casuals being the current proven audience for motion controls. The Move will sell to Sony fans. It won't be a console mover like Kinect will be. Kinect will probably not sell to the current 360 fanbase. It will sell to casuals, or it will not sell at all. For it to sell to casuals, it will need some mass market appeal via national non-gaming related news outlets, and some major hype. If it sells or if it doesn't sell to casuals, if will have absolutely nothing to do with the precision, latency, or lighting required in the room during actual gameplay. It will have to do with advertising, popularity, mass non-gaming outlet appeal, and library.

Again, Oprah will sell a billion more Kinects than a post launch calibration app ever could. We all know how casuals love installing firmware updates to reduce their load times.

There's a difference between something not working as advertised and not working at all, the wii doesn't work as advertised but it does work, kinect doesn't work as advertised on anything but appears to work on yoga and dance games and not at all on racing and pretty much anything else 

If it doesn't work at all, they won't release it. Wanna make a sig bet on that one?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Well, to the casual market, it doesn't really matter if the device has faults. If the advertising is there, and if it catches on, then it has performed its function. Who are you to say the device doesn't work right? The most innovative ones don't, sadly, because new technology requires time to perfect. Just because it doesn't work right, doesn't mean that it doesn't work at all. For example, the Wii-Mote doesn't work "right" so is that a sad example to you as well?

As far as what is truely important relative to this device, I'm not a casual, and neither are you. This device isn't targeted towards us, so neither of us can really say if it offers a solid gaming experience relative to anything. Nor can either of us say what "matters," in gaming, because that is really an opinion.

If you've made an account on this forum, you probably aren't a casual gamer.

so kinect is ONLY for casual audience and not for the hardcore at all? then why should you and I or anyone else here care? Kinect offers NOTHING to us then...heck it doesn't seem to offer a no hassle no hiccup experience to the casuals as well from most previews around the web at the moment

and let's talk about casuals...do you honestly think if the device doesn't work properly it will 'keep' selling well? Hell no...it will be front loaded BIG TIME but it will die off fast....if wii didn't work properly you think it would have been the success it is today? Sure it didn't work exactly the way they hyped it at first and same goes for kienct, kinect showed so much potential at first but they don't even show most of the initial features they marketed like scanning items in now...the seating issue, max number of players etc will be a problem for the device and is bad publicity.

SO to answer simply, does it matter it works properly? hell yeah unless MS wants this to be just a quick buck on the run, do not underestimate the power of word of mouth

As it is now, Kinect will sell more in the first few months but in the long run will be outsold by the competition easily...that's my personal take on it

A. Mostly, we shouldn't care, unless we're tracking sales. It's for casuals. So, unless you're into that sort of thing, then you probably would want to avoid it.

B. The Wii-Mote still doesn't work properly, and yes it keeps selling, because it works good enough.

Again, I'm not asking if it matters that the device works at all. Yes, it matters that it can turn on, and make an outline of you and guess your weight and all of that other crap.

What doesn't matter is if there is a relatively small latency issue, or if you have to stand up while playing, or anything at all in any of those videos you saw at all. Because the thing works. It wouldn't release if it didn't. It just doesn't work right, and it won't for several years. It doesn't matter if it works right. It doesn't matter if the Wii-Mote works right. If it's a new and fun experience to the people who buy it, then that is all that matters to them. They aren't completely invested in it. They just want to dance, or lose weight, or bat some damn beach balls, because it's cool,and its exciting, and it's new to them.

Wouldn't release if it didn't work, you mean like someone would never release a console with a failrate over 50%? Also windows vista.

to the OP

compelling! agreeable. i see a lot of valid points.

to a lesser extent move? i see what you did there. Move is less for casual gamers and more for the hardcore.

the martial arts and star wars game on Kinect where novel at best not something i could see worth buying.

move seems to be a true hardcore gamers motion controlles.

and yes it does matter when you expect quality in the $200 dollar device you purchase. well it shouldn't matter what the price is, it should work regardless the of the price.

if i buy it and it doesn't work then i'll sue for false advertisement. thats my recommendation to everybody that busy this device.

P.S: i stopped caring after E3 

ZenfoldorVGI said:

i see your point, and i painfully agree

unknown_soul89 said:
zgamer5 said:

as long as kinect is fun casuals wont care. for hardcore ones probably, it depends on the personality of the person.

Problem with that is the causal already has a wii, they aren't going to go out of their way for kinect, the only people that are going to buy this are the ones that buy into MS advertisement and hype thats it, casuals who just want fun already have the wii and aren't going to buy kinect, the hardware is too crappy for a decently controlled seriously game (even wii has those)

i hope you'r correct, some casuals who don't have a wii might get kinect, if they advertise it a lot, and if they treat it like the wii it might be succesful.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Machina said:

I completely agree with most of what was said in the OP. It doesn't need to be accurate to inspire the imaginations of the main audience they're appealing to - as long as the actions you perform in real life are displayed with some degree of accuracy in the game then that audience will probably be satisfied.

Wii Sports Tennis is a good example of this in my mind. You don't need to stand up and fling your arm around like you would with a real tennis racket to play the game; you can get the same results sitting down making minor flicks of your wrist. It doesn't matter to that audience - they probably didn't even notice. But the advertising inspired their imaginations, and the real thing measured up, despite the fact that for me the illusion was pretty much shattered once I'd worked out how to 'cheat' like that. I think Kinect has the potential to be the same - the advertising and mainstream hype could really create a buzz for the thing and, despite its apparent deficiencies to us, as long as it isn't broken then it could be a big hit.T

Yes but the problem is that Wii Tennis was a new experience and people are now aware of what those moving experiences are : Kinnect Tennis will not be that different from Wii Tennis except that in one case you hold a controller but the basic moves are the same (IMHO best on the Wii because you've got sound and vibration feedback). And to get a "similar" experience as wii Tennis, you need to spend $350 if you don't own an XBOX. If, as I think, the Wii gets a price cut at 149$ this holiday, not sure that Kinect by itself will be incentive enough against the price factor.