By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Does it matter if Kinect works right?

ZenfoldorVGI said:
leo-j said:

Some think consumers are retards that just play anything that feels fun, even if it works improperly.. might as well start kicking people too because they might think its fun..

I've noticed a lot of you missed my point.

You think I've insulted casual gamers, and called them stupid, ect. However, that is the opposite of the truth.

Instead, I imply that casual gamers have different values than do core gamers. They don't obsess over the technical aspects of gaming hardware. Look up the definition of casual, then come back here....ok, now read on.

You and others might believe that anyone who couldn't tell the difference between 1:1 and the standar Wii-mote is stupid. You believe that when I say  that many casuals wouldn't know about the difference, nor care to, that I am implying that they are stupid. Bullshit.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the casual gamer, and it's also core gamer elitism. How can we not only expect, but require gamers to know the difference between WM and 1:1? And if they don't know that difference, or if they can't tell the difference between 0 and 20ms latency, that they are stupid?

As a core gamer, some in this thread are actually implying that EVERYBODY should know what 1:1 means, and thus, I must be implying that since casual gamers in some cases don't know what that means, they must be stupid. Apparently, it's politically incorrect to imply that some people don't know or care as much about the shit I care about, as I do.

Truth is, I'm sure most casual gamers don't know, or care what 1:1 means, unless Nintendo told them with their ad campaign. They don't take gaming that seriously. Even if they play alot, it's something  they could take or leave. They aren't technophiles, they don't set around and get excited over E3, and they don't even know the review scores for their games. They are casual. They have different values, interests, and priorities when it comes to gaming. That is a fact.

Not knowing the difference or not caring about the differences between a perfectly functional but imprecise device, and a perfect one, does not make them stupid, it just means that they don't really care enough about it to fully investigate and obsess over which thing is the absolute best.

While I understand that making everything read in black and white is less work, I wish most of you weren't as lazy about your posting are you obviously are, because you are really just doing to me, what you incorrectly assume I'm doing to casuals.

you people act as if casual gamers are some other race... casual gamers can play Uncharted, Call of duty, and Halo too.. they are people.. a casual gamer is a person who barely plays video games, but would like to jump on it from time to time for entertainment.  If what they are playing doesn't work, and it's completely off track.. I don't think they are going to be jumping on it from time to time.. I mean they bought the other one, and then some even dumped it in the closet or stopped playing it altogether because of some reason, why would they bite twice, if the other one is still the better method

mM
Around the Network

skyward sword didnt work because of wireless interference, surelly they mentioned it at E3.. even the critic said in there hands on that it worked Perfectly

and yes it does matter if Kinect works.. the wiimote it self is not 1.1 but it still works

Siko1989 said:

skyward sword didnt work because of wireless interference, surelly they mentioned it at E3.. even the critic said in there hands on that it worked Perfectly

wireless interference at E3 is alot more then wireless interference in everyday life

Euphoria14 said:
Gamerace said:

I totally agree with the OP but not the title.

Kinect's imperfections will cause it massive problem unlike Wii's.    And MS is doing to themselves by advertising this as a family device.   

It will work fine for adult.  Their may be the odd problem but like the missed swing in Wii Tennis, people will be forgiving and have tons of fun with it.

It will not work at all for children.   Kinect has too many critical variables.  You have to stand so far from the camera.  You have to stand so far away from your friend.  You have to move so slow.   You have to do as the game tells you to do, or it won't work.  You can't sit down.  You can't wear your baggy pj's, or certain other clothes.  You can't, you can't, you can't.

Have you ever seen little kids play Wii?   They're running all over, waggling excessively, standing too close to the tv, getting all exciting.  Not following instructions in the game and just fiddling their way through or asking mommy why it's not working.

With all of Kinect's issues, they will constantly be doing something wrong.  It won't work for them.   They'll be constantly bugging their parents 'Daddy it's not worrrrking....!' which defeats the entire purpose of the machine.  Parents want it to distract the kids, not make more headaches for themselves.

I totally expect to see a rash of poor reviews on Amazon from frustrated moms who barely understands why it doesn't work themselves.   Word of mouth will be very mixed.  And mom's considering it will go with the tried and true Wii instead because they know it works fine.  (Move will always be the too expensive, too few games knock-off Wii)

Kinect will succeed with dance games and exercise - mainly to girlfriends/wives of current 360 owners.

I agree with this entire post. Kinect will probably frustrate kids and parents, especially with the vast amount of requirements to use it. I also agree that even though the Move seems to have numerous games to interest the hardcore as well as the casuals it will always appear too expensive (PS3 Bundle = $350 or more while Wii is $200) and nothing more than a Wii knockoff.

I agree as well. I know some 360 owners says they would loved to have PS3 (few said they wish they got PS3 instead) and money is the reason why they don't. I wonder how much the economy will be factor in determine if Kinect or Move is a success or not.

P.S I disagree Move is nothing but a Wii knockoff when Sony seems to be choosing a different direction. Sony has always taken techology and try to make it better. For example with the PS2 they learn to develop a single head to read both CD and DVD instead of two different heads. Sony this time uses one  stationary camera (PS eye) to track 4 different controllers/ players.

Around the Network

It needs to work reasonably well. Basically, it doesn't have to be super accurate, it needs to be fun.

Word of mouth is a mammoth seller, if people think it's shit, sales will suffer tremendously.