By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii 2 console innovation touch screen controller?

I suspect Nintendo right now is toying with a lot of ideas, but primarily they are paying attention to how both the Wii and their competitor's attempts at motion control do this year. 

No doubt the next system will have motion controls but how integral the controls are to the system and if they need to make another major revolutionary step with the next console will be determined this year. My gut tells me expect a camera built into the next Wii  console in some form, but I can also see the next console just having a small evolutionary step like the remotes having built in memory slots or tiny hard drives to save personal data. 

Around the Network

Why have touch when you have the excellent pointer? I think the pointer is the wii-motes best feature.

I dont think we'll see a touch screen based console from Nintendo, the Wii Remote' s pointer is already perfect for that

Actually I have a question for everybody. Do you guys think the controller for "Wii 2" will look like Wii's controller?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:

Actually I have a question for everybody. Do you guys think the controller for "Wii 2" will look like Wii's controller?

I think they will probably stick with the notion of a tv remote as the model to build off of. I also think they have made too much money off nunchuks/classics/WM for them to drop the idea of an add on slot in the back.

So we might see some changes, but I think they will be limited.

Around the Network
astrosmash said:
theARTIST0017 said:

I think they will probably stick with the notion of a tv remote as the model to build off of. I also think they have made too much money off nunchuks/classics/WM for them to drop the idea of an add on slot in the back.

So we might see some changes, but I think they will be limited.

Interesting. So instead of using the "blue ocean" strategy again again changing it up, they'll go HD version of this gen. Could work. I mean I don't see what else they could add controller wise. Dual Motion maybe?

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Could only be interesting to have a small touch screen add up to the controller. So instead of have a "button 1", "button 2", "button " and so on. just some icons that could change from each game to make easier to find the menu or action.

But there are some draw back. as noted you must look on the controller during play to find the button/icon also i don't know how to manage the fact that while holding and waving the controller you are likely to touch the screen. Maybe not a touch screen but LCD icon on buttons could give this contextual feel.

To finish, if i remember well sony have made a patent for a controller of which the button partern are touch screen. So they can have a pad that could replicate/emulate all pads. don't know if Nintendo want to do it also, how they can implement it without infringe the patent.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

It's something that I've mulled over about before myself, actually. I invisioned a T-shaped controller, with the screen at top. And while it's a good point that it could mean looking away from the television, Nintendo's no stranger to this idea: look at the GBA link cables to GC. If that feature were to be built in to the controller, then games like 4 Swords Adventure and Crystal Chronicles may have more luck by not needing extra peripherals. I could see it doing something as simple as copying the TV screen for touching interactivity, to being something that could help increase immersion, like looking down at a map.

The other thing I could see Nintendo doing is pressure-sensitive keys, but I don't know how well that would work...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...