By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Inception was AMAZING (spoilers)

so I went and saw inception today and wow.... imho it is one of the best movies ever made. EVER. It is by far the best moview this year (though that really isn't that hard to be at this point) and It easily makes my top 5 though obviously my taste is not necessarily similar to anyone elses. (sci-fi/fantasy ftw)

*spoiler alert*

I mean, the concept of having a technology like that where you can share someone else's dream is just unbelivably intriguing anyway, but taking it one step farther and haviing this amazing tech be used as a way to retrieve information was something I had never thought of. I also liked that they took the time to give a plausible reason as to why this technology was developed in the first place instead of ignoring where it came from or giving some dumb reason. I don't really know why, but I often have a hard time 'accepting' tech like that in sci-fi movies without a reasonable explanation (curse you college physics!!!), but including one really helped pull me into the world of the movie.

Also, while the story was pretty complicated, I didn't really have trouble following it though I did have to check the plot summary on Wikipedia on my phone a couple of times to keep up. (that abrupt cut at the beginning when Cobb is in the room with the old guy kind of threw me for a while, I thought it would have been nice to indicate in some way whether it was a cut to/from a dream or a cut in time, but it's not really a big deal) I also really liked the idea of dreams within dreams each causing the perception of time to speed up even more as more 'levels' of dreams are reached. I also really liked the way the enviromental effects of the next 'level' up penetrated the dream like the gravity shifts in the hotel (the fight in the rotating hallway was amazing... I still can't believe that wasn't a special effect...) and the scene at the start where they push cobb into the tub of water and water starts exploding through the walls of the building in the dream before he wakes up.

Also, I know a lot of the reviews I read said they thought the movie lost its focus as time went on and I really didn't see that. Although the focus definitely shifted from the problem of the inception to Cobb facing his past, I felt that it was a logical shift because of the psychological effects that Cobb was facing in trying to do the same thing that ended up killing his wife and taking his family away from him. By the time we reached the point where the girl is exploring cobb's memory prison, I just cared more about cobb's personal problem than the problem of the inception. Obviously this is just my opinion, but if that was what the writer was trying to do (and I assume it was), it definitely worked for me.

And the way it ended... man... while I did see it coming, it was still very, VERY thoughtprovoking...

*end spoilers*

so yeah, major, MAJOR props to Chris Nolan for having the guts to take a break from batman after a success like The Dark Knight. Also, kudoes to WB for greenlighting it and giving him enough money to fully realize his vision for this movie. Nolan is definitely my favorite active director and this movie jsut solidified that even more. The way he is willing to put these spectacular effects in his movies and still manage to let the story and characters take the spotlight is not something that is easy to do and I can't really think of any other directors that can pull it off as precisly as he does. I was also very impressed by the acting and writing in the  movie (so is it possible for Leonardo DiCaprio to be in a horrible movie? ), and I was really impressed with Ellen Page's performance as she definitely held her own even surrounded with a cast of allstar talent.

Bottom line, if you haven't seen this movie, GO SEE IT ALREADY

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network

I abosolutely loved it. It was the best American film I've seen this year and the only one to live up to every expectation I had.

reviews are saying that is very good, i have to see it.

With a concept this complex, you'd think there would be contradictions at some point, but it really flowed well and I didn't get that sense at all. Everything seemed to have a logical explanation.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.' " ~John 14:6 (NKJV)

I also thought it was an amazing movie. Despite being quite a jaded viewer given all the special effects movies we are surrounded with, I was wowed by this movie and more importantly, I really cared about the characters. Definitely in my top list of movies ever, and not because I just saw it now and it is fresh in my mind.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

I saw it twice in four days which I've never done before, I loved it.. It's much better the second time around too, it also brings up even more questions, and Nolan does a great job with that, having the movie cut in a way that you never really know whether what you're seeing is reality. The start of the movie and the end of the movie open up the possibility of the whole thing being a dream.

Good film? Yes, one of the best ever made? Not by a long shot. I'm sure it will still remain one of the top films of the year by the time award season rolls around, but way to many people are way to quick to label this film one of the best ever, I blame on the fact that most peoples experience with cinema is pretty straight foward and they have little or no knowledge of films outside of major and some limited releases. I'd still suggest seeing it, as it is a pretty solid flick, and if you like it, see Nolan's best film Memento as well.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! It was a great movie indeed :)

I saw it. I liked it, but not something I thought was as amazing as everyone else thinks.

It was a good movie, but not sure where all the mega-hype comes from. I hope it wins some awards, as it deserves it, but in 5 years I won't remember this film.

Oh, and dystopia, Memento is one of my all time favorites :). Great movie. That's a movie I remember 5 years later.

@ TheRealMafoo ~ Memento is unforgettable, I agree that Inception is not and while I thought it was a good movie, much better then your usual mainstream fair, compaired to lesser seen works it really can't hold up. It by no means made a lasting impression or knocked my socks off like the first time I saw each of Kubrick's films, or Kurosawa, or Fellini, etc.