By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patents Split-screen play without Split

This sounds awesome but does the ps3 have the power to do that much multiple screens at the same time =?

Or is this next gen ?

Around the Network

wow nice!

Wow, now that's an awesome idea.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

wow good job sony

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Faxanadu said:
disolitude said:
twesterm said:

That's actually a really good use for 3D glasses, but:

• You're still using 3D glasses which is still a fail
  • Max 2 players in a world where people seem to deman at least 4 players

Its like using a long shoehorn as a back scratcher. Its really not meant for it...but it works :)

3D TVs are really not meant for this, but its a little bonus feature...As long as they don't charge any money for an adapter or some BS like that, I'm for it.

Like I said, these would required different glasses than the 3D glasses, so this would be an additional cost.

The current technology that lets you do this (with 2 consoles) uses same glasses and audio jacks.

Only reason why you'd need different glasses is because you want the sound to go to each user. If its one console doing this, then yes, I agree.

If its 2 consoles running on the same TV (more likely scenario) you won't need new glasses.

Around the Network

Hm, I figured they'd have come up with a dual screen TV by now...

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

wait so with twisted metal coming out and this, wow i cant wait to play that game split screen.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Shadowfest3 said:

Hey this would be awesome!  It's too bad though that a 3D tv costs way too much for the average joe like me to afford one :(.  Maybe in a year or two I will be able to experience this :).

it will, and market except to OLED TV going to be cheaper same LCD giving 3d a push as 120hz tv become mainstream.

disolitude said:
Faxanadu said:
disolitude said:
twesterm said:

Its like using a long shoehorn as a back scratcher. Its really not meant for it...but it works :)

3D TVs are really not meant for this, but its a little bonus feature...As long as they don't charge any money for an adapter or some BS like that, I'm for it.

Like I said, these would required different glasses than the 3D glasses, so this would be an additional cost.

The current technology that lets you do this (with 2 consoles) uses same glasses and audio jacks.

Only reason why you'd need different glasses is because you want the sound to go to each user. If its one console doing this, then yes, I agree.

If its 2 consoles running on the same TV (more likely scenario) you won't need new glasses.

Sorry, I dont understand what you say. This is about the glasses allowing specific information to pass on to the eye. For 3D you need two different lenses one for left, one for right to get the effect. For this you need identical lenses on one glasses and identical but different lenses on the other.

This has nothing to do with console inputs, but everything with the TV and the glasses.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
disolitude said:
Faxanadu said:
disolitude said:
twesterm said:

Sorry, I dont understand what you say. This is about the glasses allowing specific information to pass on to the eye. For 3D you need two different lenses one for left, one for right to get the effect. For this you need identical lenses on one glasses and identical but different lenses on the other.

This has nothing to do with console inputs, but everything with the TV and the glasses.

No the bolded is not correct. You are confusing active and passive 3d glasses.

99% of the current 3D TVs are shutter based. (active) A battery inside the glasses makes each eye go pitch dark 60 times per second and does that according to the emmiter which is syncing the glasses with the TV.

With this technology, exact same glasses can be used, except 2 videos are combined in to 1 video stream and both eyes shutter at the same time.

Person 1 sees:

With both eyes - frame 1, frame 3, frame 5...

Person 2 sees:

With both eyes - Frame 2, Frame 4, Frame 6...

Here is a video of this in action using regular shutter glasses and 2 360 consoles from CES 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s

The only issue here is making sure that user with glasses 1 gets audio for video 1 and user with glasses 2 only gets video 2 sound.